Christmas in York (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Well after the painful process of checking the CC site for the last few months, spotting free days, frantically logging in to book, we have now managed to get 6 nights for Christmas in York :). Took forever for a slot to open for the 24th. Some of the days we have had booked since last Dec!
Can't wait, not as sunny as Spain but much more fun that Scarborough :)

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thank you I'm sure we will. It's my hometown :)

Lin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Which site did you get on? Rowntree has been "closed" (fully booked) since Early in the year. we tried to book it back in August, when it became clear we would not get back to the USA to the family (no Medical insurance).

Mind, I will bet if I go to York and look on Xmas day there will be pitches vacant!!. We went 2005? and spent Christmas. The site was fully booked according to CC and the Wardens. The section where we where there where 14 vacant hard standing pitches!! for the entire period we stayed.

Pete

OP
OP

Deleted User
Yes Rowntree Park 3 nights were booked last Dec. I have been checking each day for cancellations online and over last couple of months got quite a few bookings. We are there nxt week for 2 nights, only booked last week. It's a case of bookings the odd days as they come up and hoping and waiting for the days in between. I only managed to get the 24th earlier today and it was actually free on the 23rd as well. A lot of cancellations come up. We book a lot as my family live there and school friends.
I will keep checking to try and get New Year, you never know ;) had hoped to be in Spain but it's ok for second best.

Lin :)

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Find a Samuel Smiths pubs in the afternoon ( there are a few).
Get a few " taddy lagers" down yr neck....
Walk back to the camp site. Stop for one at the swan, another at the Slip Inn.
Back to the camper. Snooze, sandwich and shower.
Ready then for the night time.
Can't wait, xmas market weekend 4/12/15 :) :)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Find a Samuel Smiths pubs in the afternoon ( there are a few).
Get a few " taddy lagers" down yr neck....
Walk back to the camp site. Stop for one at the swan, another at the Slip Inn.
Back to the camper. Snooze, sandwich and shower.
Ready then for the night time.
Can't wait, xmas market weekend 4/12/15 :) :)

Lucky Begger, the site has been booked out for months for December.!! Fortunately we can go from Home for the day (40miles).!! but not like being "on the job" so to speak. Plus they have just taken my favourite "Pub Site" off the CCC listing as well.

Pete

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
We stayed there in May. Had a lovely few days. There was a great Thai restaurant 'up in the Main Street' behind the site. £10 for 2 course lunch. Spent 30 mins on the computer trying to logon when the CC released their sites for booking last year!! Finally managed to book Rowntree Park. Stopped off by Rutland Water on the way back to Devon cracking area.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
We live 25 miles away, but it costs you more to park up in York than it does for 2 nights at the CC:)

OP
OP

Deleted User
Same with us only in Scarborough, but like to go over as often as possible, not much in Scarborough, love York, soooo many pubs, restaurants, shops. :)
If you are able to go last min or retired there are always spots opening up. Excluding Christmas, have 3 other trip booked over Nov and Dec all booked over last few weeks.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Trying to book somewhere for 2 vans close to York for 19th to 22nd Nov. CC site would be ideal but booking it!!!!!!

Anyone got any ideas apart from the CL/CS's?

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Goose wood. 6 miles north of York
Pub/pool
:) busy site

OP
OP

Deleted User
@TerryL If you don't have kids in party the Lysander Arms has a little park.
Broken Link Removed
We have used in past and it's a nice pub, close to park and ride and Clifton Moor, with shops and restaurants all within 10 min walk. We use when getting service done at fiat approved garage.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Trying to book somewhere for 2 vans close to York for 19th to 22nd Nov. CC site would be ideal but booking it!!!!!!

Anyone got any ideas apart from the CL/CS's?
Try Fulford caravan park, you can walk into York centre, hard standings, ehu and electric security gates with keypad. Only a few hundred yards from Roundtree Park cc site. Lovely walk through park and side of river. £20 night with hook up, £15 without and no stupid additional charges I believe for awnings etc. Went last weekend and really enjoyed it.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Try Fulford caravan park, you can walk into York centre, hard standings, ehu and electric security gates with keypad. Only a few hundred yards from Roundtree Park cc site. Lovely walk through park and side of river. £20 night with hook up, £15 without and no stupid additional charges I believe for awnings etc. Went last weekend and really enjoyed it.
Didn't know this place existed, did you notice if they allow dogs?

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We have booked York for my birthday in January.

Jen

Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Booked for weekend before Christmas love the atmosphere as Victorian market on! Would love to do christmas but family need me to cook 20lb turkey!!

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Maybe you all think of York, but try Harrogate. We stay at Shaws trailer park, £20 a night, you can walk into Harrogate in 20 mins, or the buses run every 7/10 minutes. Great pubs, and restaurants, and as for the shopping, I am pleased that SWMBO has her own credit cards.....
A really great place to go for a few days....

Remember...it's our secret......!!

OP
OP

Deleted User
Maybe you all think of York, but try Harrogate. We stay at Shaws trailer park, £20 a night, you can walk into Harrogate in 20 mins, or the buses run every 7/10 minutes. Great pubs, and restaurants, and as for the shopping, I am pleased that SWMBO has her own credit cards.....
A really great place to go for a few days....

Remember...it's our secret......!!
Harrogate is nice, lived there a couple,of times, but York has my family and friends :)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Maybe you all think of York, but try Harrogate. We stay at Shaws trailer park, £20 a night, you can walk into Harrogate in 20 mins, or the buses run every 7/10 minutes. Great pubs, and restaurants, and as for the shopping, ......

Have been there a couple of times (taking day trips when I used to drive coaches) and agree it's very nice although a bit small. However the rest of the town is lovely and worth a visit. But it's only on one weekend and gets VERY crowded. That's why we're going to York, hopefully right at the beginning it'll be a bit easier to get round, especially with the dog.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Well, after our early departure at Christmas, we are back for my birthday this week, very quiet on site. It's a bit windy, but fingers crossed the rains wont be too bad and the river stays down.
A few of the pubs, and business in Walmgate are sadly still closed after the floods, all the city centre is open though and the actual site is all clean and tidy :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Well, after our early departure at Christmas, we are back for my birthday this week, very quiet on site. It's a bit windy, but fingers crossed the rains wont be too bad and the river stays down.
A few of the pubs, and business in Walmgate are sadly still closed after the floods, all the city centre is open though and the actual site is all clean and tidy :)
Glad you got a few days after the floods at Christmas. I feel for the people with small business and homes flooded . It takes months to clear and recover and some never do . We love York and our eldest daughter was at uni there so we visit often as we can.

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We should have been there on the 15th for the weekend for my birthday but it was still shut. Went to Barcelona instead! Hope to book in another weekend to make up for it but the website shows no availability all year.

OP
OP

Deleted User
We should have been there on the 15th for the weekend for my birthday but it was still shut. Went to Barcelona instead! Hope to book in another weekend to make up for it but the website shows no availability all year.
Oooh Barcelona, fab, that beats York lol:)
Might be worth phoning the site direct we have in the past when had odd days missing and been able to get in, think they must hold a few pitches or something.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back