Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Thinking of getting one of the Calorlite bottles, you can still exchange them for almost any size of bottle up til the 1st July after that you can only exchange the 6 or 7 kg bottles. Has anybody re-filled one of these with the refill adapter? Like the idea that they have a gauge on them, not too bothered about the weight issue but every little helps.:RollEyes: I have an old 3.6 kg calor bottle I can use for a swap.

Jan 5, 2009
Chillington Devon
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2006
Did a swap last weekend. Although lighter in weight also left my pocket lighter as £2.50 dearer than standard bottle.
Don't understand price difference as same amount of gas, are we paying each time for the lighter payload?

Peter

OP
OP
Kon tiki

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I rang around & the calor shop was £18.50 but another independant supplier was £16.50 :Eeek: Intend to refill it with my adapter (43p a litre or just over a fiver to fill a 6 kg bottle) so it's a one off cost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Did a swap last weekend. Although lighter in weight also left my pocket lighter as £2.50 dearer than standard bottle.
Don't understand price difference as same amount of gas, are we paying each time for the lighter payload?

Peter
I asked about the price difference at the Calor stand at the NEC last October. The guy I spoke to said the extra charge was for the company to recoup the money it had spent on buying so many new bottles.

I told him that if that was the reason I could understand the extra charge being levied the first time (as with the initial charge for a conventional bottle) but couldn't understand why the charge was made every time. He said the extra charge was for the company to recoup the money it had spent on buying so many new bottles.

I said I didn't think that was reasonable because the company was getting back the conventional bottle to scrap against the cost of the new ones. He said the extra charge was for the company to recoup the money it had spent on buying so many new bottles.

In fact, whatever I said, he said the extra charge was for the company to recoup the money it had spent on buying so many new bottles.

Seems it's a one line script and they stick to it - at least the guy I spoke to did :Smile:

I told him I would stick to buying conventional bottles. He said the extra charge was for the company to recoup the money it had spent on buying so many new bottles. :Smile:

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I asked about the price difference at the Calor stand at the NEC last October.

the extra charge is for the company to recoup the money it has spent on buying so many new bottles. :Smile: :thumb:

OP
OP
Kon tiki

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I got one today to use as a backup for my Alugas refillable bottle, but had to pay £18.50 :Eeek: I could have got one from another place for £16.50 but they didn't have the gauge fitted to them & they didn't know when they were getting anymore in stock..
I also have the adapter for refilling so it still worked out cheaper than buying another refillable bottle. :RollEyes::RollEyes:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Whilst in Tenerife I could not by auto gas, so I bought 2 fiberglass 7kg bottles to keep me going. but I only had to pay for the gas the bottles were free!!

It seems to me that price the calor are charging represents the continuing rip-off that is standard practice for UK companies large and small.

Doug...

chas

Free Member
Nov 24, 2007
west midlands
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
32 long years !
I got one today to use as a backup for my Alugas refillable bottle, but had to pay £18.50 :Eeek: I could have got one from another place for £16.50 but they didn't have the gauge fitted to them & they didn't know when they were getting anymore in stock..
I also have the adapter for refilling so it still worked out cheaper than buying another refillable bottle. :RollEyes::RollEyes:

Can anyone explain the refill adapter to me again, is it the one sold on ebay, and if so how do you get on when filling the bottles at the autogas garages, I had heard that the garages could object with this method of filling. Thanks :Eeek:

Tinyk

Free Member
Mar 9, 2009
Funster No
Well i tried to exchange my bottles last weekend for a 13 and a 6 lite and dealer told me that Calor had now put restrictions on lite bottles, they were short of them and people who had them already were the only ones who could have them till they get more stock, people wanting to change had to wait.

I confirmed I knew this and that if they had processed my order for the new van correctly a month ago i would have had the right bottles in the first place and not be in this position, dealer then quite happily swapped them over lol.

Lite bottle was really just a backup for the 13k bottle and for taking out to fire up the barbie when i finally get round to getting the gas pipe and regulator connected to it.

I have spoken to a couple friends locally and they use unattended LPG site not main garages, this way you tank up and then go in a hut round the corner to pay, luckily I have a mate who tanks his car up every week at one of these sites who is more than happy to top my bottles up at the same time, so in essecen it makes it even easier as he is filling a car as well.

Not tried the lite bottles yet with my adapter but im sure they will work the same, least I hope so LOL

OP
OP
Kon tiki

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
The refill adapter is the one sold on eBay, all you have to do is fill the bottle to about 80% full. This can be acheived by either weighing the bottle when empty or full, getting the weight off the bottle (usually stamped on) then weighing the bottle before you fill it. If you work on the basis of 1kg=2litres you won't be far off. If in doubt always make sure you under fill it to be on the safe side.
If you use an unattend pump then there isn't a problem as for the normal petrol station then keep the bottle in your gas locker while you fill it. I have the filler for my 11 kg refillable bottle inside the gas locker & I have never had any problems, so filling the calorlite bottle should be just the same.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back