Medical at 70 to keep my C1 licence (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am 67 and just about to replace my 3.5t coachbuilt with a new 4.5t A class.

Before finally committing to the deal can anybody tell me exactly what the medical I have to pass at 70 to keep my C1 entails please? I am fit and with no medical conditions so is it just a questionnaire, or do they do tests and if so what ones? And where is the best place to get the test done - I live in West Kent. My own doctor or a dedicated test centre?

Many thanks for any help you can give

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Doctors certificate and some paperwork.. Your biggest hurdle will be DVLA inefficiency

Mind you, as the official Funster "bus nutter" it should not be a problem getting certified, should it? :imoutahere:

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

Before finally committing to the deal can anybody tell me exactly what the medical I have to pass at 70 to keep my C1 entails please? I am fit and with no medical conditions so is it just a questionnaire, or do they do tests and if so what ones? And where is the best place to get the test done - I live in West Kent. My own doctor or a dedicated test centre?

I am sure many others would be interested to hear what the conditions required are to get the C1 renewed( see Peter Marshalls post re his C1 application.)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I am sure many others would be interested to hear what the conditions required are to get the C1 renewed
Plenty of threads on here about it. One bit of advice was to check around for prices for the medical...

P.S. Didn't know you were only 67...... ;)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you just need to see your own doctor . possibly have an optician eye test or let your doctor do one .
its exactly the same medical as an hgv test.
so long as you have no medical history probs it should be easy.
but can be expensive as doctors charge . there are cheaper ways .
i always use my own doctor as i have problems with my legs .
but i shant be keeping my hgv soon certainly not having medicals every year after 65 . i shall just change my truck and trailer a bit and drive the same vehicle .

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I attempted to renew mine last year. My medical was no problem but had an op in one eye three years ago and although cleared by the consultant the DVLA insisted on visual field tests, I had three and after nine months my C1+E was revoked.
It has now come to light that the Specsavers dedicated software was not correct and many now have their licences back. I will be having my field test repeated and then plan my next move if ok.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years

Hi Peter
Like others have put, fit and well you should be ok, remember that the 70 plus licence lasts for 3 years, so nothing to worry about until you reach 73 providing everything goes well this time which it should, I used my own doctor has they have all my records I don't know how these other doctors do it. Pete

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Been looking into this myself, as the Current MoHo is OK but a bit marginal, and I am considering uprating (+200kgish). My own surgery`s charges £90. but in Hull there is a place offering to do them for £48-00. So shopping around may be on the cards?. My licence actually say I must use glasses, But since I had both cataracts done I can read the No Plates beyond the Statuary Requirement!! and now need reading spec`s.

As I never bothered, to do a medical when 70, I assume I will have to jump through hoops to get it back, and the medical is part of it. Should be no issue as up to 67 I used to fly though my annual HGV. Just wasn't worth keeping up as I no longer drove professionally.

In the USA they Took my ordinary Car Licence, and I insured and drove a 9tonne R-V on it Legally. You don't need a CDL below about 29000lbs I think.

But then as with "A" framing the Americans have far more sense!! and treat "Seniors" with respect, and people as Adults, not kids to be controlled!

Pete

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Download a copy of the information leaflet INF4D Broken Link Removed

Ezee

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
@peterc10
Thanks for asking the question, Peter.
I am in exactly the same position as you; the only difference is that I have already committed myself to a big, expensive bus.
The thought of having to pass a medical, particularly as I had eye surgery 3 years ago, is something which seems to be on my mind constantly right now.
To the point where I am considering down-sizing at the moment.
Anyone fancy a high-spec Starline?
Stef.

Deleted User
Hi Peter
Like others have put, fit and well you should be ok, remember that the 70 plus licence lasts for 3 years, so nothing to worry about until you reach 73 providing everything goes well this time which it should, I used my own doctor has they have all my records I don't know how these other doctors do it. Pete

They have to contact your own GP for medical records which slows things down even more, if time is critical it is best to use your own GP and possibly pay the extra, may be £50 to £100 more but probably worth it.

I renewed my C+E licence last year, I did not renew it this year because of annual renewal but on both occasions the service from DVLA has been excellent. I think delays mostly occur when there is some medical history or other borderline problems.

Some GP's are qualified to do the enhanced eye test now required, some are not but my advice would be to use your own GP and, if necessary, a reputable optician.

The licence can be reinstated at any time, if needed, on successful completion of the medical.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Ref Medical and costs... If you use your own GP you will pay a lot more..
Do a search for Drivers medicals and you will find sites like this.. http://www.driversmedicals.com/

There and many private medical certificate companies as Medicals are needed for Driving, Flying etc etc..

Nowhere near 70 yet but I undestand it's a similar test to HGV renewal.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
@peterc10
Thanks for asking the question, Peter.
I am in exactly the same position as you; the only difference is that I have already committed myself to a big, expensive bus.
The thought of having to pass a medical, particularly as I had eye surgery 3 years ago, is something which seems to be on my mind constantly right now.
To the point where I am considering down-sizing at the moment.
Anyone fancy a high-spec Starline?
Stef.

Might be worth going to Specsavers , who are the dedicated opticians for the DVLA, and getting a class 2 field test in advance, at least you will know if you have a problem as you must declare if you have had eye surgery on the licence application .
Not all Specsavers branches have the equipment for the class 2 test.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
there is a range of A class that work OK at 3500...a bit drastic getting a caravan:D

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Very little payload left once you add the things that you need that are not included in the standard spec though

OK not the biggest A class and if thats what your used to and want to continue with you have no choice but to go for keeping the C1. but life don't stop if you have a problem with that....

Some smaller vasns have a MIRO of approx 2800, allowing 200 for extras and a 500 payload...

where did you end up buying your Hymer from Peter...did you get many quotes

Eddie

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have been looking at Hymer Excis i and Pilote G740c both a class and have 500kg payload.
Included in miro is 75kg of driver, 90%fuel and 90% water so workable with care.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We have been looking at Hymer Excis i and Pilote G740c both a class and have 500kg payload.
Included in miro is 75kg of driver, 90%fuel and 90% water so workable with care.

when you mentioned this new Pilote before I thought it was a cracker for the money. but there are not many vans that work @3500 at 7 metres. Most of the 8 for sale on mobile.de site are plated at 4250. some van for from £50K lhd though!

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
where did you end up buying your Hymer from Peter...did you get many quotes

Eddie
Not bought it yet Eddie. Still sitting here prevaricating. Should I buy or should I leave????? Management has given her approval but ...........

I am too impatient to order and then wait and wait and wait. So I was looking for stock vehicles preferably 2015 and needing to be shifted to make way for the 2016 lot. We are a bit fussy on layout (2 singles over large garage) and decor (nothing too dark so that counts against most of the 2016 B class ones), so not many about. Ideally we would like to buy a 1 or 2 year old one that somebody has lost money on, but they are as rare as hen's teeth, and when they do come up they are almost as much as a new one.

Looked at the links you and others sent me for Germany, but the ones I wanted were low specced models and the ones I did not want were the only high spec ones. And I am informed that management does not fancy a LHD (full stop).

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Not bought it yet Eddie. Still sitting here prevaricating. Should I buy or should I leave????? Management has given her approval but ...........

I am too impatient to order and then wait and wait and wait. So I was looking for stock vehicles preferably 2015 and needing to be shifted to make way for the 2016 lot. We are a bit fussy on layout (2 singles over large garage) and decor (nothing too dark so that counts against most of the 2016 B class ones), so not many about. Ideally we would like to buy a 1 or 2 year old one that somebody has lost money on, but they are as rare as hen's teeth, and when they do come up they are almost as much as a new one.

Looked at the links you and others sent me for Germany, but the ones I wanted were low specced models and the ones I did not want were the only high spec ones. And I am informed that management does not fancy a LHD (full stop).

Your Mrs getting a hair dryer what more does she want!:) If only Rhd your going to be extreamly limited in choice.....plenty of year old vans around with low mileage..great time to buy though! good luck

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Did mine in June. £40 for medical,,,bit of a farce really,,,not much of a medical but he filled all the forms in. Sent it off to DVLA. All done and new licence back with me in 10 days...BUSBY:):)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

YOu could always try this:) Tell the Mrs its a safety issue as Lhd far safer as cab door on drivers side.....:giggle:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
when you mentioned this new Pilote before I thought it was a cracker for the money. but there are not many vans that work @3500 at 7 metres. Most of the 8 for sale on mobile.de site are plated at 4250. some van for from £50K lhd though!

We looked over them at NEC, as you say nice van for the money especially if bought across the water.
There is also the option to have cupboards instead of drop down bed, only two of us.
On the same stand was LeVoyageur, similar spec for similar money.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We looked over them at NEC, as you say nice van for the money especially if bought across the water.
There is also the option to have cupboards instead of drop down bed, only two of us.
On the same stand was LeVoyageur, similar spec for similar money.

without the drop down bed you will limit resale as familys will not be interested..just a thought. Does save weight though! About 80kg on a Hymer I believe

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
without the drop down bed you will limit resale as familys will not be interested..just a thought. Does save weight though! About 80kg on a Hymer I believe

No problem, so many people buying are like us, a couple who have done the children bit and just want own space . If we lose a bit so be it ;)

Btw, the 80kg saving means I could almost take the wife :imoutahere:::bigsmile:

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016

That's what we did with our Hymer. Makes it a luxury 2-berth with other advantages. Much more headroom and light in the lounge area, additional storage space because there are lockers all way round and a saving in weight (16Kg).
And the best thing of all - it looks absolutely fabulous.
Stef.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I am fit and with no medical conditions so is it just a questionnaire, or do they do tests and if so what ones?

so long as you have no medical history probs it should be easy
It's not just about CURRENT medical conditions, but also PAST.
Him Indoors ran into the back of a car with his bicycle when he was 14 and got a slight head injury, with no problems of any sort since then. Even though he'd gone through the whole investigation thing when he renewed his licence at 3 score years & 10, 2 years later - despite GP & optician saying no problems - he had to have it all re-investigated to drive over 3500. Farcical. Do they not believe their own records??? :confused:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Applied for renewal June 2 been advised I have met the criteria and my C1 is being issued, still waiting,5 months the DVLA is not fit for purpose.

Less than two weeks for mine,,,very chuffed. BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back