Drinking in Motorhome (1 Viewer)

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
Dont know if this has ever been discussed but whats the story with drinking inside your motorhome?

What if you have the engine running to get some heat or charge the batteries but you are sitting in the back.

What about if you are in the back without the engine on but still drinking

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont think there,s any problem .most of us have drank tea,coffee lemonade. etc the biggest problem is when you are in the back its difficult to reach the pedals n steering wheel. the authorities take a dim line to it . why do you think the manufacturers put drinks holders in the front: so you dont spill your beer while going round corners. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:DONT DRINK N DRIVE makes a mess on your shirt. :shout::winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you make it pretty obvious you aint going nowhere then you should be ok but running the engine to keep warm will definately get you a DD ban.:Sad::bigsmile:epending how much barley water/grape juice you've drank.

you park in a layby late at night and plod knocks on door, you answer in your birthday suit or pyjama's with TV on, blinds/curtains drawn, supper on the table and glass of wine/beer in hand and the keys nowhere to be seen then its a foregone conclusion you aint gonna drive.:thumb:

on the other hand.......you park in a layby for lunch and have a few beers while lunch cooks and the keys are in the ignition and the plod come a calling you're in the sh*t....they aint going to believe you wont drive after lunch.:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
on the other hand.......you park in a layby for lunch and have a few beers while lunch cooks and the keys are in the ignition and the plod come a calling you're in the sh*t....they aint going to believe you wont drive after lunch.:Doh:

My best advice is dont have the keys in the ignition or in your pocket if you are drinking.

It doesnt matter whether or not there is intention to drive, there is a separate offence of being drunk in charge of a vehicle - and believe it or not it also applies to prams

yep all those mums with prams pushing them along the road/pavement having had a few could be arrested. However back on topic ........

If the keys are in the ignition and police investigate

a) if the person in the vehicle is drunk - then he/she could be nicked

b) if a child is found alone in the vehicle and the keys are in the ignition the child will be deemed in charge of the vehicle and either nicked or taken into custody for his/her own protection

c) if you are drunk and fast asleep in bed and the keys are in the ignition again you could be nicked.

You dont have to be sitting in the drivers seat to be arrested.

BUT most police officers are sensible and use their discretion

Last edited:

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
write a letter to your local police HQ and keep a copy in the M.H. follow the advice it gives.

don't forget to post it here too.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
BUT most police officers are sensible and use their discretion
At the time we were buying our first motorhome I was working in a police station and asked this exact question of one of the sergeants. The answer I got was basically what has been said already, the quote above being the most important point.

However we always stay on sites so it is more obvious that we are stopped for the night - not sure how this would apply to wild camping if there was a chance that you would be asked to move on.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
It is one of the downsides of wildcamping here in the UK, personally I don't drink any alcohol when we wildcamp its just not worth the risk. Even if you have no intention of driving you ae in charge of the vehicle & I wouldn't want to risk somebody's interpretation if I intended to drive or not.

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i know someone who was tried for a drunk in charge thing when staying the night in a pub carpark... with the landlords permision, he had the vans keys hung up on a hook above the sofa of the van,

never did hear if he was finaly charged, but after that people who stayed the night on pub carparks and liked to drink locked the ignition keys in the motorhomes safe, then if questioned could say they are too drunk to remember the code to the safe,

of course he could have given the landlord his keys and been ok that way i guess.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
When we stop the night away from campsites we are aware that we MAY have to move so are always in a position to do so.
A friend was asleep in the back of his car along the front in Gt. Yarmouth, he is very mouthy and got done for d/d.
Nigel & Pamala

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Dont know if this has ever been discussed but whats the story with drinking inside your motorhome?

May be once, or twice.

No, I lie, at last count 136 times.

I believe the bottom line in the UK is that unless you are on private land and camping beyond doubt then it's up to the copper whether or not he goes for you.

If you are in a layby then you cannot prove you aren't about to drive off, even in your pyjamas.

Our European members don't have these absurd laws, we get nicked because we might, they get nicked only if caught in the act.

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
but what happens if said kindly policeman says you shouldn't be in the layby or wherever
and you should move your pride and joy!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
but what happens if said kindly policeman says you shouldn't be in the layby or wherever
and you should move your pride and joy!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A police officer cannot request a person to move a vehicle if they believe the person has incapable through drink/drugs and/or over the legal limit.

The person would be arrested and if the vehicle required removal the police can arrange this. Any cost incurred could be charged to the vehicle owners or the person in charge of the vehicle at the time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back