Can my day get better, throttle broke! (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Went to collect Hymer that had sailed through MOT and service, feeling pleased. No more than 3 miles from the Newark dealer and as I'm about to slow down approaching a roundabout I find the throttle wide open and end up braking hard with clutch down and 4000 plus reving engine! Just managed to pull up on damp road!

Manage to limp back to dealer, still shaking from shock, engine revs all over the place, engine red light flashing.

It seems that, by nothing more than coincidence, that throttle pedal sensor has failed. Price from Fiat £186 plus vat and 5 days to deliver.

Now sat on train from Newark to home...the part number is 1337493080. A quick google is showing these considerably cheaper and looking a common enough part. Anyone had this?

It's 2.8jtd by the way.

Dave

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Went to collect Hymer that had sailed through MOT and service, feeling pleased. No more than 3 miles from the Newark dealer and as I'm about to slow down approaching a roundabout I find the throttle wide open and end up braking hard with clutch down and 4000 plus reving engine! Just managed to pull up on damp road!

Manage to limp back to dealer, still shaking from shock, engine revs all over the place, engine red light flashing.

It seems that, by nothing more than coincidence, that throttle pedal sensor has failed. Price from Fiat £186 plus vat and 5 days to deliver.

Now sat on train from Newark to home...the part number is 1337493080. A quick google is showing these considerably cheaper and looking a common enough part. Anyone had this?

It's 2.8jtd by the way.

Dave

don't you have recovery..I would have got it home. hope you get sorted ASAP

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
don't yo have recovery..I would have got it home. hope you get sorted ASAP

Good point, but my first instinct was they had broke something during service. I've told them to hold fire on orderng outlandishly overpriced part until I can have a look about.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Iveco parts are often much cheaper, not sure about the 2.8 , but the 2.3 & 3.0 multjet are Iveco engines and the Iveco branded parts care a lot cheaper.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Iveco parts are often much cheaper, not sure about the 2.8 , but the 2.3 & 3.0 multjet are Iveco engines and the Iveco branded parts care a lot cheaper.

Looks like I'm probably stuffed :cry:. I'm seeing some cheap secondhand parts but not going for that!

Somebody probably saw my smug look at having had the cheapest service and MOT since I've owned the van :D...sent me a little fault just to get one back!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Looks like I'm probably stuffed :cry:. I'm seeing some cheap secondhand parts but not going for that!
Why not? A S/H one will probably give no further trouble but if it does (or you think it might) buy two. You'll still be quids in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Why not? A S/H one will probably give no further trouble but if it does (or you think it might) buy two. You'll still be quids in.

Maybe Tony, had I have had the problem at home I may well have had a tinker, but then it needed an engine management system diagnosis to identify fault, and it may well also need that to set it up after the new component is fitted. The other problem is a possibility it is something else and if I've let the dealer sort it at least I'm not going to be paying out for the wrong part.

After sleeping on it, I can get some piece of mind that it's better to have shown up now than in three weeks time as we're a few hours away from leaving the boat at Bilbao!
Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back