Internet security (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
My paid for security is due for renewal but I am wanting to change and I keep reading that the free ones are perfectly good for personal internet use.

I have Windows 7 on my laptop. I rarely download much other than inter-family stuff and use the web for info, communication and the likes of here.

Can anyone advise a techie numpty like me of a good security supplier to go to please?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
My paid for security is due for renewal but I am wanting to change and I keep reading that the free ones are perfectly good for personal internet use.

I have Windows 7 on my laptop. I rarely download much other than inter-family stuff and use the web for info, communication and the likes of here.

Can anyone advise a techie numpty like me of a good security supplier to go to please?
My Norton went t**s up AGAIN a few weeks ago. Took some advice from a good friend who works for a large internet related company, and downloaded 'Panda'. All free, just don't go for the add on stuff you pay for, not required. Panda sorts my anti-virus, Windows Defender sorts my firewall.(y)(y)

http://www.pandasecurity.com/uk/homeusers/solutions/free-antivirus/

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I also stick with Microsoft Essentials. It is about the only bit of software they write that isn't rubbish. Every other AV suite I have tried has had problems. Anything from slowing the system down, using too much resources/space to plain out crashing. I also get fed up of the constant bombardment of adverts and nags.

Whilst ever I have a windows system running I will never use a third party AV again unless microsoft's goes down hill of course.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Fenman
Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Many thanks one and all. What a wonderful bunch of people there are on this forum.
I shall be doing some changes to my security shortly.
Once again a million thanks.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We've been using Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall (both part of Windows) for several years with no problems.

Likewise..

also use Malwarebytes..

not a security expert, but as I understand, malware poses a greater threat than viruses

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Likewise..

also use Malwarebytes..

not a security expert, but as I understand, malware poses a greater threat than viruses
Strictly speaking, malware includes viruses, spyware, adware, trojans &c &c.

I would never tell anyone not to use such a program but I don't, personally, feel the need to have the paid for version running as a matter of course. I do run the free versions of Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner and SuperAntiSpyware from time to time (to clean the machine up as much as anything). I also run the free version of CCleaner at least once a week.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back