breatherlaser (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
A friend . Was talking about E U residents in France .not having to carry breatherliser kits .if this so .can the police .prosecute . Us from England. ???he has a cottage in France.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No, without getting too complicated with all the history, the legislation is a dead duck. No need to carry them* the police have no powers to do anything if you haven't.

*breathalysers that is, dead ducks are optional. :)

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I'd just stick to what is recommended to carry by AA travel or C&CC. I thought I'd heard recently that instead of having to carry 2x it is now just 1x but can't remember where I heard it. At the end of the day is it worth the risk of listening to rumours.
Sorry DBK was writing this didn't see your post. Nuff said then (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's still a fineable offence not to carry one but can't be upheld as the law was put on hold indefinitely.

No need to carry one anymore.
You will not be fined, and even if you were it was only €11

Deleted User

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I had two and used them to test myself before driving to be sure I was OK - very useful but as everyone says not required any more.

Reactions: f6c
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Fine is €14 for no carrying one I think but not carried out.
I have one in each vehicle when the panic started but out of date now.
So don't worry too much,unless Sarko gets in again of course!!

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We have an Alcosense electronic one we carry as a matter of course. Nothing to do with the French legislation, merely preservation of one's self and driving licence wherever we are!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hey Ho. More EU Cr***p!!. You would think they have nothing better to do?. But then "Fiddling While Rome Burns" so to speak IS what the EU is all about. That and political Trough Snouting!!. The EU budget had never been properly accounted nor approved since inception!!

Pete

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hey Ho. More EU Cr***p!!. You would think they have nothing better to do?. But then "Fiddling While Rome Burns" so to speak IS what the EU is all about. That and political Trough Snouting!!. The EU budget had never been properly accounted nor approved since inception!!

Pete
Whilst I don't necessarily disagree, I'm lost as to the relevance to the now largely defunct breathalyser legislation which is specific to France? ;)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
A friend . Was talking about E U residents in France .not having to carry breatherliser kits .if this so .can the police .prosecute . Us from England. ???he has a cottage in France.

yep you will be banged up..never to be seen again:)

Reactions: Mel

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Whilst I don't necessarily disagree, I'm lost as to the relevance to the now largely defunct breathalyser legislation which is specific to France? ;)

I know what you mean, but Hey!, It`s another opportunity to point out the uselessness of the EU! in general. At least as far as GB is concerned.

Now see what you`ve done!. I am almost of on a "rant" again!!. I think I`ll just go and Make Breakfast! and cogitate on what to have for lunch, check on the output from the solar panel later too, Ah! Busy, Busy Life this retirement!!. :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Pete

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I know what you mean, but Hey!, It`s another opportunity to point out the uselessness of the EU! in general. At least as far as GB is concerned.

Now see what you`ve done!. I am almost of on a "rant" again!!. I think I`ll just go and Make Breakfast! and cogitate on what to have for lunch, check on the output from the solar panel later too, Ah! Busy, Busy Life this retirement!!. :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Pete

That's the problem with retirement - you don't get a day off!!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
As above comments, the law was suspended when it was pointed out how ludicrous it was. (you must carry one at all times, so you had to carry two in case you used one. Therefore as you had to carry two at all times you would have to carry three etc. Also they had a finite shelf life so would have to be renewed to be in date).

It is still on the Statute Books but common sense prevailed and the French Government have instructed that it not be enforced.

We still have two in our vehicles because we bought them, in France, when the law was first discussed.

Incidentally, Halfords are still selling them labelled as a legal requirement if travelling to France. I have pointed out their false information on several occasions but to no effect. From memory they are selling them at roughly three times the price in France.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Very close !His brother ran the company that produced them and made a fortune........allegedly.
Damn, I got beaten to it!

Could not agree more, hence the Alcosense is used for the following day, to verify ability to drive after an evening of imbibing! (y)
I had the exact opposite, and this is a good example of why I think personal breath test kits are a very bad idea.
When the law was suspended in France, I had 2 alco-sense kits kicking around. I should point out, that if I have had anything to drink at all, I will not drive.
So anyway, after tea one evening, for a giggle, I decided to give one a go. My alcohol consumption that evening was:
1 Gin & Tonic when I got home
3 Large glasses of wine over dinner
These were consumed over about a 3 hour period, and guess what? The test showed that I was still below the drink drive limit! Now an irresponsible person would then use that result to confirm that they could drive, personally I don't think anyone should be behind the wheel with that level of alcohol in the system!

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Damn, I got beaten to it!

I had the exact opposite, and this is a good example of why I think personal breath test kits are a very bad idea.
When the law was suspended in France, I had 2 alco-sense kits kicking around. I should point out, that if I have had anything to drink at all, I will not drive.
So anyway, after tea one evening, for a giggle, I decided to give one a go. My alcohol consumption that evening was:
1 Gin & Tonic when I got home
3 Large glasses of wine over dinner
These were consumed over about a 3 hour period, and guess what? The test showed that I was still below the drink drive limit! Now an irresponsible person would then use that result to confirm that they could drive, personally I don't think anyone should be behind the wheel with that level of alcohol in the system!
I have an electronic Alcosense, not the (arguably rubbish) disposal kit variety, which has proven very useful the morning after the night before in my experience.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As above comments, the law was suspended when it was pointed out how ludicrous it was. (you must carry one at all times, so you had to carry two in case you used one. Therefore as you had to carry two at all times you would have to carry three etc. Also they had a finite shelf life so would have to be renewed to be in date).

It is still on the Statute Books but common sense prevailed and the French Government have instructed that it not be enforced.

We still have two in our vehicles because we bought them, in France, when the law was first discussed.

Incidentally, Halfords are still selling them labelled as a legal requirement if travelling to France. I have pointed out their false information on several occasions but to no effect. From memory they are selling them at roughly three times the price in France.

Yes but the law actually only required you to carry one. Therefore if the Gendarmes actually asked you to use it, so leaving you with none, then they would also be guilty of aiding & abetting the offence . & they couldn't amend it to 2 as you've pointed out as the same would always happen. + as said the minister who pushed fro it & got it on the statute books was part owner of the company.
Just shows that the vast majority of politicians of all nationalities all train at the
same snout dipping trough.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have an electronic Alcosense, not the (arguably rubbish) disposal kit variety, which has proven very useful the morning after the night before in my experience.
My counter to that would be, if you think you need to use the alco-meter, then you shouldn't drive. I seriously believe that self breath testing is far more dangerous than common sense.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
My counter to that would be, if you think you need to use the alco-meter, then you shouldn't drive. I seriously believe that self breath testing is far more dangerous than common sense.
Perhaps you have the ability to accurately gauge the rate at which your body metabolises alcohol revelative to duration, speed and volume of intake, taking into consideration all other factors which could influence such. I'm not blessed with such a gift, hence I resort to tools/technology to make up for my shortcomings and limit any potential risk.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Perhaps you have the ability to accurately gauge the rate at which your body metabolises alcohol revelative to duration, speed and volume of intake, taking into consideration all other factors which could influence such. I'm not blessed with such a gift, hence I resort to tools/technology to make up for my shortcomings and limit any potential risk.
No, you misunderstand. If I were to have drunk alcohol the night before, and the next morning I awake and think, "am I safe to drive?" then the answer is no, always, end of conversation.
To then take a piece of tech that says actually you only have 20mg of alcohol which then convinces you that you are ok to drive is very dangerous, IMO.
The point I was making is this, if you are unsure, then you shouldn't drive, the fact that a piece of equipment disagrees is irrelevant.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
No, you misunderstand. If I were to have drunk alcohol the night before, and the next morning I awake and think, "am I safe to drive?" then the answer is no, always, end of conversation.
To then take a piece of tech that says actually you only have 20mg of alcohol which then convinces you that you are ok to drive is very dangerous, IMO.
The point I was making is this, if you are unsure, then you shouldn't drive, the fact that a piece of equipment disagrees is irrelevant.
Conversely, if you had drunk the night before, awake the next morning and think "I feel safe to drive", it doesn't mean that you physically are. A quality breathalyser device removes the doubt, uncertainty and need to ask the "Am I?" question in the first place via a targeted test to establish a factual position of readiness (or not). Similarly, it also negates the need to rely on a hunch or gut feel that you are ok to drive because you "feel" so. I'm not trying to say my approach is right or best for all, I just prefer to mitigate potential risk of licence loss or other unnecessary outcomes where possible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back