Tow-bar mounted bike rack, suitable to allow barn doors opening? (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Is this possible?

Seen many tow bar mounted bike racks which fold down to allow a hatch back to open on a car.

But are there any that are ingenious enough (or tilt flat) to allow barn doors to be opened?

(Suggesting door mounted rack isn't an option! :) )

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I did see one on a PVC on site in Portugal,think the owners were Swiss,sadly didn't see them in daylight so can't give you any more info but will say,they left it down in the dark and I and several others said it was bloody dangerous as being on a pathway.Especially returning from the bar.:rolleyes:
I know you wouldn't do that!!
Good luck with your search.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have a look at video of my Busbiker NL swing out rack. It's attached to add for my van in classified section..or just Google it..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Thanks for those.
The DIY one looks clever, and the busbiker one looks expensive! The 2nd version with tow bar looks good.
Interesting to see the size of them - but they both look permanent fixtures.
I was of the (imaginary?) hope it would be possible to just bolt/clamp something to the bike rack so it could be fixed/removed in seconds rather than a permanent fixture.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks for those.
The DIY one looks clever, and the busbiker one looks expensive! The 2nd version with tow bar looks good.
Interesting to see the size of them - but they both look permanent fixtures.
I was of the (imaginary?) hope it would be possible to just bolt/clamp something to the bike rack so it could be fixed/removed in seconds rather than a permanent fixture.

I did play with the idea of making my own swing out rack. using a tow bar and hinging bar from that with folding bike rack fittings (which can be purchased as spares). Its possible but in the end could not be assed and went for the real thing quality & peace of mind:)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I would have loved one of those Busbiker racks, so clever and easy access to the rear door for a PVC, but just couldn't bring myself to pay over a grand for a bike rack - whats going on it aint worth that much :LOL::LOL::LOL:
I just purchased a Thule 927 which tilts but it doesn't tilt enough for the rear doors to be opened fully - I do have a "HOLLYWOOD" 4 cycle carrier which is tow ball mounted and that does drop right down but don't know if the new ones of this company still do the same - worth looking out for one on fleabay but i think the older ones like mine a hard to find now !

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
A few of us on here now have the Busbiker...I would think all would probably agree with me its money well spent. The way its fits, the convenience, security, quality and strength. If you see one you will know where the money went.....

I see these aluminium tow bar racks wagging like a dogs tail on the road frequently..not for me with expensive bikes I'm afraid!

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Is this possible?

Seen many tow bar mounted bike racks which fold down to allow a hatch back to open on a car.

But are there any that are ingenious enough (or tilt flat) to allow barn doors to be opened?

(Suggesting door mounted rack isn't an option! :) )

have a look at some of the USA SITES for this type of equipment....some do ship here at reasonable cost.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
There was a company at the NEC doing same idea as the bushbiker, they where a Dutch company also.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I think I may have a leaflet will look in my goody bag

t_rifles

Free Member
Feb 18, 2012
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
www.memo-europe.nl. They were on the Roadpro stand so are presumably available through them. VAN swing attaches to existing towbar and allows use of existing bike carrier. There are complete swing away carriers as well.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I do not know the make, but my friends Columbus has a bike rack, and he was moaning about having to take the off to put things in the rear doors, then after a time he was shown, the rack folds down without removal. Some other racks also do the same but not that obvious.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

t_rifles

Free Member
Feb 18, 2012
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have the Altera rack which was purchased several years ago before motor homing. With my towbar I can get one door open but not the other. Probably by it being slightly off straight. There are spacers to move the ball away a bit. However, you still need to climb over the bike rack to get at anything. Also, pushing the bikes back upright causes the handlebar of the one nearest the van to hit the rear window. It needs a good shove to ensure the rack is locked upright. If we stick with this van next year, then might consider this type of solution.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have seen the busbiker rack and a couple of variations from european makers. all were very expensive though and very heavy built. one of the best DIY racks Ive seen was on the back of an old mercedes van, he had used a pair of metal gates and gateposts welded to a steel box section. the bikes were attached to one gate and a fuel can to the other. once closed they were chained together and padlocked.

I wouldnt expect anyone with a posh van to do the same, but the principle must be easy enough for any fabricator to use as a base for a design. rather than 6ft wide, 2 3ft wide hinged sections

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
We were looking at this, and although we didn't get one in the end, I did a lot of research. This Altera Strada DL has a video on YouTube showing van doors opening, but it has to be the three bike rack or above. Sold here

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/atera_strada_dl_3_to_4_bike_carrier_uk_lights_no_ar2603/Qx@w,6M42VAwp3@Rb{~cC4ure5K{W}

Hope the link works!
Why the 3 bike and above/ Why not 2?
If the "upright" could have a slight angle change it would keep bikes away a bit - may need to see one in the flesh.
Love the slide, and love the fact it can be flat as well (bikes off)

The other links above are all great - but a bit too heavy/exteme for what I have in mind - the Altera one looks like what I'm after - and I hadn't seen it. Thanks

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
We were looking at this, and although we didn't get one in the end, I did a lot of research. This Altera Strada DL has a video on YouTube showing van doors opening, but it has to be the three bike rack or above. Sold here

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/atera_strada_dl_3_to_4_bike_carrier_uk_lights_no_ar2603/Qx@w,6M42VAwp3@Rb{~cC4ure5K{W}

Hope the link works!
I used a Atera on my car for twice a week (part commute) about five years excellent bit of kit.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
you gets what you pays for, the busbiker top class...would have nothing else on a panel van camper

Last edited:
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We were looking at these Broken Link Removed at the NEC. Apparently they fit onto the Alko chassis, via pre-existing holes in the chassis. We're thinking that one of these might be the best option for us, as they avoid having to have anything fixed to the back wall of the van - we will probably up-grade to electric bikes at some stage.
I posted a couple of days ago about the ease (or otherwise) of fitting these, but had no replies. Maybe nobody else has had one? We'd need to get the electrics professionally fitted anyway, so I'm guessing we'll get the whole lot done professionally. Any comments gratefully accepted.
Chris

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We were looking at these Broken Link Removed at the NEC. Apparently they fit onto the Alko chassis, via pre-existing holes in the chassis. We're thinking that one of these might be the best option for us, as they avoid having to have anything fixed to the back wall of the van - we will probably up-grade to electric bikes at some stage.
I posted a couple of days ago about the ease (or otherwise) of fitting these, but had no replies. Maybe nobody else has had one? We'd need to get the electrics professionally fitted anyway, so I'm guessing we'll get the whole lot done professionally. Any comments gratefully accepted.
Chris

Looks good. don't you have a garage. really need something either easily detachable or folding.

any auto electrician can fit a can bus plug or cheaper using a relay but that COULD effect warrenty if you have electrical problem

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Why the 3 bike and above/ Why not 2?
If the "upright" could have a slight angle change it would keep bikes away a bit - may need to see one in the flesh.
Love the slide, and love the fact it can be flat as well (bikes off)

The other links above are all great - but a bit too heavy/exteme for what I have in mind - the Altera one looks like what I'm after - and I hadn't seen it. Thanks
'
I got the three bike thing from a customer review on Roof Box. Maybe it's to do with the size of the frame?

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Looks good. don't you have a garage. really need something either easily detachable or folding

We do have a garage, but not big enough for 'proper' bikes - just folding, small wheel bikes, which wouldn't suit us.
This rack does fold, and we thought it might be better than having a tow bar fitted.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We do have a garage, but not big enough for 'proper' bikes - just folding, small wheel bikes, which wouldn't suit us.
This rack does fold, and we thought it might be better than having a tow bar fitted.

well if its an easy fit why not price looks OK

MJ65

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 17, 2012
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
I have exactly the same need for a Tow Bar fitted 2 mountain bike holder to let me open the rear doors on a 2015 Boxer (AutoSleeper Kingham) - I need to see pictures/video of an Atera Strada or Evo that prove the doors can open and that the handle bars don't contact the rear doors. Anyone using one of these that can help advise? thanks in advance

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Hi

We have the atera strada 4 bike one .

The van came with a fiamma rack but only for two bikes and we need three bikes , sometimes four. Plus to empty the cassette you have to open doors on our van.

Great bit of kit, and the rear door do open fully on ours when tilted away even with bikes on And slid away. Bike handles are close to door but careful spacing stops contact.

I will try and take a picture with a Bike on if it helps

Daniel.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hi @MJ65

Here are a couple of pictures Hope this helps,

Daniel

MJ65

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 17, 2012
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Daniel, thanks so much for taking the time to do that for me, you are a total star, the pictures really help. I'm guessing the two bike version probably doesn't pull so far away from the van when slid out.

If you spot the COSI CAF out and about come say hi. Tea, wine or beer always on tap. We're not so far from you!

Mark

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back