Paperwhite with adverts ?? (1 Viewer)

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Today I bought a new Kindle Paperwhite to replace a broken Voyage. The Sleep screen and the Home screen both have Special Offers ( ie adverts ) on them, for chargers, cases, books, cables etc.
All I can find online is that Paperwhites with Special Offers are only sold in the USA. This one was bought from John Lewis. In order to remove Special Offers in USA it seems you have to pay Amazon to do so.

I can find a way ( I hope) of removing Special Offers from the Sleep screen but can only block offensive material ( " not suitable for all audiences" ) from the Home screen, where the advert takes up about 1/8th of the screen.

Is this right ? Are new Paperwhites coming complete with adverts or are JL buying cheaper American versions ?

Edit to add: The Sleep screen has just appeared, complete with advert so I clearly can't remove adverts from the Sleep screen

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have one..it has same screen as Voyager. I thought you can buy with or without adverts at a cost. an ealier one I had bought in ths states thet adds did not work here. In all honesty I dont even notice them..you sort of tune them out.Its only here for a split second till I turn book on.

Or...

http://www.labnol.org/software/remove-kindle-ads/28341/

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
But surely, if my Paperwhite was bought in UK it shouldn't have special offer ads ? JL have nothing oin their website to suggest ads are on the thing. I've written to them but wanted to check that it was not standard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
But surely, if my Paperwhite was bought in UK it shouldn't have special offer ads ? JL have nothing oin their website to suggest ads are on the thing. I've written to them but wanted to check that it was not standard.

My new one bought from Amazon has adds? I could have paid more to have it without? £109.99 with.....£119.99 without. only a tenner more if it annoys you that much JL have a good return policy..just order again from amazon :)

Link here:Amazon product ASIN B00QJDO0QC
did you even look at link I posted earlier..it tells how to get them switched off

Or..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've always bought mine directly from Amazon rather than a reseller and have never had ads.

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I did look but the 2 methods rely on a) paying Amazon to do it and b) Phoning Amazon and stating that you can't buy the offers in UK, which, given prices are in sterling, I can buy I assume, if I wanted to.

I am not going to pay or lie, especially as it looks as if the ads should not be there anyway.

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I bought from JL because they give a 2 year guarantee automatically and, given the high attrition rate of Kindles and tablets, this seems like a good idea. I paid £119 and no-where can I see anything that says I could pay more and get a non-advert version or that, for my £119 I was getting a with ads version. It just never occurred to me and this is my 6th device since they first came out.

Having spend thousands of pounds with Amazon since they started e-readers I think I am justified in not wanting to have the adverts displayed on the Sleep screen or anywhere else. If I had bought the thing for a child I should be even less thrilled to see the books they are offering- mainly blood and guts and thrillers. I've also spent the whole afternoon laboriously downloading my entire library from the Cloud and really do not want to return the device. I really wanted a new Voyage but, with Vs 2 coming out in December, I would not have it for long enough to make sure all was well before we went away.

I'm sorry if you're upset Judgemental but that was not my intention. I did look at the link you sent but it did not seem to offer a solution though, if nothing comes of my letter to JL, then I shall ring Amazon and ask them to take it off as a special case for a very faithful customer, who buys several books a week. It is annoying and it is intrusive and the principle of it makes me cross.

What I really wanted to know was: is this the norm on a UK bought device. I appears it might be but not necessarily !

Thanks all

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I paid £119 and no-where can I see anything that says I could pay more and get a non-advert version or that, for my £119 I was getting a with ads version.

I think this may be a JL issue, not an Amazon one.

If you look at the Amazon listing you will see that there are options to have it with or without "special offers" the price difference being a tenner. £119 is their price for no "special offers" and I know JL are usually pretty good on price so I think this could be a supply chain glitch somewhere.

Amazon product ASIN
Apologies if the link doesn't work but I'm posting from my phone. If you go to Amazon and search Kindle Paperwhite you will get to the same place.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I think this may be a JL issue, not an Amazon one.

If you look at the Amazon listing you will see that there are options to have it with or without "special offers" the price difference being a tenner. £119 is their price for no "special offers" and I know JL are usually pretty good on price so I think this could be a supply chain glitch somewhere.

Amazon product ASIN
Apologies if the link doesn't work but I'm posting from my phone. If you go to Amazon and search Kindle Paperwhite you will get to the same place.

Have told him that already:)

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Have told him that already:)
It's her actually but I didn't see the bit where you suggested it might be a JL fault. JL ,in my experience over the past months, have always sold things at the same price or cheaper than competitors but there was no suggestion that there are 2 prices for this device on the website and it didn't occur to me that it might be so. I've browsed and asked questions at PC World as well and they didn't suggest it.

It does get worse ! To get out of the Sleep screen you must swipe the screen upwards. What you don't notice is that, discreetly merging in the background, just where you swipe, is a tiny window with Buy Now. When I swiped I managed to activate this and it connects to my Buy Now set up. Thank fully you can return books but this does seem to me to be well beyond the bounds of what is honest marketing.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've browsed and asked questions at PC World as well and they didn't suggest it.

They're just another reseller wanting to shift their stock. In this case as it's an Amazon product they are your best source of information.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I am still using my original Kindle which I've had for years. It's the one with the keyboard and the free wireless access, which I've used in many countries to buy books.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It does get worse ! To get out of the Sleep screen you must swipe the screen upwards

Just a thought. With most models there is a "smart" case available that takes the device into and out of sleep mode when you open and close it. That would solve that particular problem for you (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Like I said...I don't even notice adds, my eyes just flit over them. Your getting vexed because your not used to them? Just pay the tenner and they will disappear or argue it out with JL they usually crumble:)

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Just a thought. With most models there is a "smart" case available that takes the device into and out of sleep mode when you open and close it. That would solve that particular problem for you (y)

Good thinking but I don't think it would work. It would wake the thing up but then you still have to swipe the screen to get rid of the adverts; no doubt they want you to swipe the Buy Now box as you do.

I'm not vexed because I'm not used to the ads. I'm vexed because selling me a device which gives constant ads when no-where can I find anything that says this is so on the new Paperwhite, providing a switch which says it will filter unsuitable ads but doesn't work and then making it almost impossible to read the device without buying something accidentally is of dubious morality.

I'm glad Really Retired's original Kindle is still going strong. Mine has no print left on the case so all keyboarding is by guesswork, is extremely slow and freaks out and freezes at least once a session.

I have registered my feelings with JL and expect to have it exchanged or for them to pay the extra to have it ad free. Looking carefully at the packing material and the Goodreads section of it I suspect it is an American version which leaves one wondering why ?

Thank you all for help and advice.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Here's my current list of JL cock ups. Ordered a Panasonic TV....got 3 and my credit card debited for 3.

3 piece suite. Chair different material. Crockery guess what wrong again. Lighting sent double order...They are clueless!

But you have paid for version with ads its as simple as that...choice of either on UK Amazon site

On JL site no mention of kindle choice...as I said they are clueless!lol

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Touch wood we've always got what we've ordered from JL.

You're right; the Amazon page does give the With Special Offers and, only if you select it , Without Special Offers. The default price is £109. None of the other places, Argos , PC World etc, offer you a choice , all are £109. Unless you've looked at the Amazon page- which I didn't as I wanted to buy from JL with their 2 year guarantee- you would never know there was an option.
That is truly shady. I strongly suspect that JL don't know that the £109 price is with ads. I certainly didn't.

Another little touch; the small ad at the bottom of the page has a Read Now on it exactly at the point where you touch the screen to turn the page when reading.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you look at the reviews at the bottom of this page, there is one which says it is the version with "special offers", it is dated 17 July 2015.
http://www.johnlewis.com/all-new-am...ution-illuminated-touch-screen-wi-fi/p2051409

It would annoy me very much if I bought one and didn't know it had such an annoying feature.

I would return it to JL and post a one star review for being to be blunt, dishonest.

Then buy an advert free version from Amazon. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Unless you've looked at the Amazon page- which I didn't as I wanted to buy from JL with their 2 year guarantee

In this case the 2 year JL guarantee isn't worth as much as it sounds as Amazons after sales service (in my experience) is fantastic, in the unlikely event you had a problem within 2 years they would look after you anyway.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Amazon returns first class. JL are good in this respect..but they have to be as so useless. your covered by sales of goods act for 6 years anyway...

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Did you get this sorted?

the thread has ruined my kindle experience:) as up to seeing this thread I never took any notice of adds..just didn't look. Now I stop and read them. so agree with you now they are annoying:(

further more my daily Guardian newspaper that drops free into my inbox. has adverts and I'm looking at them also!! you have ruined my life:cry:

seriously though my paperwhite developed a pin hole pixle problem on screen?.. really annoying, unreadable as it draws the eye. replacement arived in 2 days..Amazon so good

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Did you get this sorted?

Oh Dear ! I am so sorry ! I'm really surprised though that it doesn't annoy even more people or at least they don't comment on it.

Yes, JL took it back without problem and took my point. No-one in the office there knew that the Paperwhite had ads or that you had to pay to get rid of them.

They did offer to sort it- I won't go into further details- with Amazon but I bought a Voyage instead from JL. The Voyage was what I really wanted after having had one last year until it too de-pixilated. There is supposed to be a Voyage 2 coming soon but no date set and- horror of horrors- the new Voyage 2 will have Special Offers- ie adverts. Hence I now have a Voyage 1 and am a happy bunny again. I did ask JL to make it clear on their webpage that there were adverts on the Paperwhite screen but don't think it has been done.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
JL's never knowingly over charged is a bit of a myth if you find it cheaper they will refund the difference but the onus is on you to point it out they are usually a bit dearer than everywhere but keep custom due to their customer service

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The latest paperwhite has the same screen as Voyager..why I waited for it. this pinhole pixel issue very common:cautious:. My original Kindle still going strong.. no issues whatsoever:whistle:

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
JL's never knowingly over charged is a bit of a myth if you find it cheaper they will refund the difference but the onus is on you to point it out they are usually a bit dearer than everywhere but keep custom due to their customer service
At one time I would have agreed with you but this year bought a cordless vacuum cleaner, espresso coffee machine, Paperwhite and Voyage, I Pad and other odds and ends from them and have found they are exactly the same price as the identical item in places like Argos, PC World etc. Add their two or 3 year guarantee and that we can collect at our local Waitrose ( with free coffee !) and its a no- brainer.

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
The latest paperwhite has the same screen as Voyager..why I waited for it. this pinhole pixel issue very common:cautious:. My original Kindle still going strong.. no issues whatsoever:whistle:

Because I have arthritic thumbs and find page turning the Paperwhite quite difficult by swiping the screen. The Voyage has small areas of the screen rim where, if you press very lightly, the page turns. It's much like the old Kindle but much easier. It suits me very well and does not get in the way of the book.

I've still got a 3G keyboard Kindle and a WiFi keyboard Kindle both still working but the white screen and better refresh rate plus the easier way of cataloguing books is much better on Voyage and PW type screens. I can't read for long if I have to press the page turn buttons on either of the old ones.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Because I have arthritic thumbs and find page turning the Paperwhite quite difficult by swiping the screen. The Voyage has small areas of the screen rim where, if you press very lightly, the page turns. It's much like the old Kindle but much easier. It suits me very well and does not get in the way of the book.

I've still got a 3G keyboard Kindle and a WiFi keyboard Kindle both still working but the white screen and better refresh rate plus the easier way of cataloguing books is much better on Voyage and PW type screens. I can't read for long if I have to press the page turn buttons on either of the old ones.

must admit the cataloging on Voyager attractive..have fun:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back