Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I know this is asking a Q like how long is a piece of string BUT
Do you budget to reach a certain age hoping it sees you out? Is this for a single or a couple?
I hear all to often about the people that drop down dead and don't get to enjoy their hard earned cash, so whens enough enough to get by.?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
so long as you have at least 4 or 5 properties in your portfolio you should be able to retire at an early age .
if you have been wasting your money by drinking ,smoking ,going on holiday, buying posh motorhomes ,using campsites etc it may be that you will have to wait abit longer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In my job I needed 40 years service for a full occupational pension so we planned for that, meaning I would retire at 60. As it happened I was made redundant at age 55 but the terms of the package were sufficient to compensate for the younger retirement age. Within certain boundaries I could choose how much to take as a lump sum and how much to take each month so we had to calculate how much we would like as a regular income.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
That's what happened to my sister, put all her money away "for a rainy day", then dropped down dead at 64, not even having time to enjoy herself as she could have done, we now live each day as it comes, sod tomorrow, and if we are skint when we die, somebody will bury us, I won't care anyway.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Very difficult questions ,I always aimed at retiring at 55 but never did when the opportunity came at 60 I asked the question can I retire and how will we manage well we juggled the figures invested some funds to give us an income bought our first Motorhome and haven't looked back we are determined to do it as long as we are able and still enjoying it.Seen to many of our friends pass away before even drawing a pension you are a long time dead!
Do it as early as you can and good luck for a long retirement.:)

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
We have been trying to be debt free [including mortgage] for ? 10 years- luckily we are both in good pensions schemes for work so that will be our retirement plan BUT I am 12 years older than OH so when to go is the question?We bought our beloved motor home 6 years ago and use it as often as we can, long discussions about replacement when I retire but can't bear thought of selling her- ever...
So problem of what to live on in old age [I am there but The Government keep moving my pension goal posts grr] is a very personal one.
I advise making list after list of what you need to live on; checking everything x 100; being sure that you want to go full time/part time/retire/not retire - check it again...
then one day you will wake up and throw caution to the wind and just go for it.

Will let you know when I get to that point xxx

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I once had a financial advisor say to me, "I could organise your affairs better if I knew when you were going to die!" AND, there's the rub; we know not the day or the hour.

Sure, there are the normal milestones....... Want to finish one's mortgage by this date, retire by that date, but assuming you don't get blown off course from those markers, the rest is a gamble.

It's certainly no use planning financial milestones beyond retirement age. What would be the point of saying that my target is £200k in the bank when I'm 70. Yes; have dreams of that A-Class, but to plan is a bit of a lottery.

The OP's question is a difficult one. I would say that you should aim to have enough to cover the essentials - roof over your head, food on the table and a bit put by to cover the unforeseen, if you're financially able. If one is a bit more flush, leave it to the kids or SPEND IT!

For a man, the stat's say you're looking at a late seventies departure and for women early 80's. Alas, there are many that don't even make this age.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
A tough question. We do not have a shed load of money, both retired and living on pensions although my wife (born in 1954) has to wait till she is 66 for her state pension. We have always lived within our means and as a result have no debt, so we can manage on less than others with a similar income.
Like many others we do not know what is round the corner but continue to live within our means so we can continue to do the things we want to do without having to worry if the spondoolies will run out. It's tough at times but for us it works.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just done the calculator (mentioned above). Needs a bit of a fiddle factor coz it's American!

It says I'm gonna reach 85! Be nice if that was true - can't see it though!

I did it as if I was my Grandma. Said she would get to 85.5 and she lived to 99!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I am hoping to leave something when I depart, spending the kids inheritance has never been in my vocabulary. Secondly I would like to leave the chancellor nothing at all so it will be a fine line.:)
Dux towers is our kids inheritance - the rest of it we are going to fritter away on motorhomes.......

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Did it and it said 88.49 years and if I didn't drive I would extend my life expectancy by 0.01 years (3 1/2 days) its worth the driving at that price..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Dux towers is our kids inheritance - the rest of it we are going to fritter away on motorhomes.......
And very nice it looks too
Duck_House_3_sml_edited-1.jpg

burtspieeater

Free Member
Oct 23, 2015
WIGAN
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
None yet
If you are not sure if you should retire early, just take a walk around your local graveyard and you will be astounded. I tend to do this every couple of weeks ( whilst my wife is placing flowers on her parents grave ) and the number of people who have died recently younger than me (I'm 62 next week) is astounding 30s, 40s 50s
Bear in mind that you do not need as much money as when you were working and also that you will probably need less when you reach your 80s than you will in the next 20 years
Whatever you do, don't leave it too late, stress is a killer and my stress levels since leaving work are now zero

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
If you are not sure if you should retire early, just take a walk around your local graveyard and you will be astounded. I tend to do this every couple of weeks ( whilst my wife is placing flowers on her parents grave ) and the number of people who have died recently younger than me (I'm 62 next week) is astounding 30s, 40s 50s
Bear in mind that you do not need as much money as when you were working and also that you will probably need less when you reach your 80s than you will in the next 20 years
Whatever you do, don't leave it too late, stress is a killer and my stress levels since leaving work are now zero
I think being retired is more expensive than working....what with holidays, eating out,travelling to meet family and friends around the country. When working we were usually short of time so didn't have too much time for spending.
As to how long we all live, i heard a pension guy on radio 4 say that generally we all underestimate how long we will last. So how much do we need ? No one knows, but I can say retirement is a lot more fun than working.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Sue is 5 years younger than me so we always planned to retire together (within one month of each other) I had a private pension plan that when I reached 50 I stopped funding because we became self employed.
Unfortunately fate had other ideas.
The government decided it would alter the pension goalpost, which left me just in the 65 retirement and Sue way outside.
We certainly hadn't planned for that. Nor that are business would be hit so badly by the recession, wiping out most of our savings, so now were pretty much in limbo land I'm almost 64 and it would seem pretty much unemployable. Sue has 6 years before her pension which makes me 71.
You have to wonder if its worth making any plans.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In my job I needed 40 years service for a full occupational pension so we planned for that, meaning I would retire at 60. As it happened I was made redundant at age 55 but the terms of the package were sufficient to compensate for the younger retirement age. Within certain boundaries I could choose how much to take as a lump sum and how much to take each month so we had to calculate how much we would like as a regular income.
And then our esteemed leaders will dump on you from a great height and change the pension rules making your pension pot pretty much worthless.
It seems the government want you to invest in your retirement but don't want you to benefit by it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back