Can you share 10 items good/bad you have or would want/avoid when buying a motorhome (1 Viewer)

Life of Reilly

Free Member
Oct 26, 2015
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Do not own one yet
Exp
Hi my wife Anne and I (Dave) have been considering a motorhome for some time.

We moved from Wokingham 12 months ago and now currently live in the west coast of Scotland to be closer to family and want to spend some time touring Scotland in summer months and other times in Europe, for sun and possibly skiing as well.

We think a 4 berth will suit us, but have looked at several models and all have a multiude of options, which leaves us mighty confused

If you could help us please with listing your 10 MUST haves in your Motorhome and 10 WASTE of MONEY ones, this will be really helpfull.

Many thanks

Dave

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello, tough question cos everyone's needs/wants are different. I don't know about 10 things but:

Given the choice I wouldn't bother with a microwave but they all seem to come with one these days.
Our table is really heavy so check when you're looking at MHs

A separate shower is a must for us
An oven is a must, some continental vans don't have them

Can't think of any more at the moment

Enjoy your search

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Agree completely with Helen @scousebird, that everyone's need and priorities are different, now our continental van doesn't come with an oven but we've never missed one and it wouldn't be on our next van list as a priority. Fixed bed, some will swear by them whilst others feel they take up too much daytime space, particularly in a small to moderate sized van.

It's all a very personal choice really, you need to make your own mind up and not be swayed by others likes and dislikes...just my opinion :).

I think it all depends on where your intending using it and what type of use you have in mind.

Dave :):):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Agree about microwave - don't have one, don't need one, requires hook up to use anyway and takes up extra cupboard/ storage space.
Have small oven - more than enough and again large full scale ones take up too much storage space , depends whether you are wanting to do the full Sunday roast - I would rather not
Essential -
payload payload payload,. Nothing worse than finding out you have insufficient allowance to put outdoor table and chairs in
Storage, storage, storage in and out - think Ski's, bikes, bbq's plus food/ clothes/ cooking utensils / crockery etc. sounds obvious but great variation (think payload again!)
Seperate shower ( make sure you can turn around in it!)
Screen cover for cold (skiing essential) and heat insulation
Air conditioning if you are venturing south on the continent in the summer ( otherwise don't bother). Didn't use it at all last year, but this year, all the time 37 degrees is vile without A/c but of course needs hook up ( not a problem in germany)
4 berth is good even if majority of time it is just the 2 of you - gives flexibility for extra passengers

Happy buying

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Essential -payload payload payload,. Nothing worse than finding out you have insufficient allowance to put outdoor table and chairs in

Completely agree...no good finding out after you've bought it!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Don't spend too much on your first van, once you start using it, you'll have more of an idea of what you want in your next van.
And don't rush out buying things you think you need lol

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have some notes on deciding on a layout, including a link to a checklist, Here. The checklist most likely won't match what you want but you might find it more useful than a blank sheet of paper as a starter.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Everyone's different; what is essential for some isn't for others. We don't have a separate shower and wouldn't choose a van with one if it compromised storage or comfort. We use our van for around 50 nights a year and have only used the shower once - flannel washes are far more economical with water, which is one of our limiting factors when camping. We've coped quite comfortably without A/C in thr habitation area but would choose a van with A/C in the cab for when we are travelling.

I would choose a van that fits in the parking space that you have available, is big enough to accommodate what you would like providing it wasn't so big that it becomes a chore to travel around in and park when you arrive.

I would also choose a van with good leg room when driving, s comfortable bed and sufficient kitchen worktop space.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
If you are thinking of using for skiing then investigate the insulation and the fresh water tank. As said by others it is a personal thing but all would agree that layout and payload are the 2 most important decisions. Personally I like a fixed bed, primarily go for EHU on sites and therefore like my microwave but find the grill a waste of space.
Horses for courses, and I hope you get sorted. Good luck.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
10 MUST haves in your Motorhome and 10 WASTE of MONEY

For me, the 'must have' starts with the construction..

My most important criteria when I chose my Hymer B644 was that it had no wood in the construction framework to rot. If it ever sufferers from water ingress, it won't rot the body..
The fixtures and fittings are good quality, there is no chipboard or MDF in the furniture construction.. the worktops are marine plywood, topped with high quality laminate.. the edges are solid wood, not sticky back plastic trim that will peel off as soon as it gets damp.

It is going on 15 years old.. and the interior is as good as new, with very few signs of wear or tear.. .. likewise the exterior.

'Waste of money' is subjective..

I don't need or want:

* Microwave oven.. just a wast of space and paload, to be be utilised fully, it requires mains 240v or a large battery bank with solar.
* Gas oven.. never had one that was much good.. just a waste of space and payload.
* Electric hot plate.. see microwave oven.
* A cocktail bar
* Mood lighting and bling.

For us.. Must Haves:

* Fixed bed.. have spent enough years making up a Rubics cube every night.

*Garage.. for e- bikes, chairs, tables, and other camping paraphernalia.

* At least 3 belted travelling seats.

* Under 7mts. this was my max length for drive.. also, the bigger they are the more difficult it is to find parking .. used to have an 11mt RV and it was great to live in but very restricted for sites and places it could be taken.. ideal for full time..

* Good payload.. this is critical and you must check.

* For all year use both here and abroad.. A Double floor, fully winterised, both waste and fresh tanks housed in the void.. .. no exposed fresh water or drain pipes.

* Solar power and twin 85ah batteries to enable off grid camping..

* Spare wheel.. many new models come without and have a tube of puncture repair gunk.

* Cab air-con.. almost essential for travelling in southern Europe in summer..
Hab air con not fussy.. if it had it fine.. if not wouldn't bother fitting.

I have since fitted

* Auto satellite dish... a luxury that is not essential.. but after years of using tripods and other manual sat dishes, it was my treat to me.

* 200 watt Sterling pure sine wave inverter, to charge cameras and anything that cannot be charged direct from the 12v with an adapter.

* Twin 11kg Gaslow refillable LPG bottles..

Future.

* Would like to fit cruise control..

you can view my van here .
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
At random:

Definitely check payload ! Remember that the weight on each individual axle is important as well as gross weight.

Cab A/C : even in winter it is essential to clear the air, is useful to stop you choking in long tunnels and essential in hot weather to keep you alert and comfortable.

Sensible storage: look at where you will keep big or bulky items, chairs, screen covers, bedclothes etc.

Good lounging space; in winter we don't want to be forced bolt upright on uncomfortable dinette seats or lie on a fixed bed from 3 pm ( dark) onwards.

Good heating and insulation including pipework and water tanks. Double floored vans are perhaps something you should consider if you are going to spend more time where it is very cold. We prefer blown air heating: we found in vans with a fire we tended to get cold feet and hot heads.

Enough space to move around comfortably. This doesn't have to mean especially big but just well planned. We are not keen on vans with dinettes etc as they always seem very cramped and crowded.

If you want to carry bikes on the back check that a bike rack can be fitted.

We like either fitted gas bottles or, as we have now,an underslung tank. This means you don't have to cart bottles around or worry about gas supplies when in Europe.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This variety of responses just proves the point that our requirements are all different so you really will have to take note of everything that has been said BUT make your own mind up when armed with the facts.

Martin

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Must have payload and a reliable "front end".

Without both of those you'll run the risk of driving overweight or not driving at all.

Everything else is secondary and you can adapt to the features it has.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
For me, the 'must have' starts with the construction..

My most important criteria when I chose my Hymer B644 was that it had no wood in the construction framework to rot. If it ever sufferers from water ingress, it won't rot the body..
The fixtures and fittings are good quality, there is no chipboard or MDF in the furniture construction.. the worktops are marine plywood, topped with high quality laminate.. the edges are solid wood, not sticky back plastic trim that will peel off as soon as it gets damp.

It is going on 15 years old.. and the interior is as good as new, with very few signs of wear or tear.. .. likewise the exterior.

'Waste of money' is subjective..

I don't need or want:

* Microwave oven.. just a wast of space and paload, to be be utilised fully, it requires mains 240v or a large battery bank with solar.
* Gas oven.. never had one that was much good.. just a waste of space and payload.
* Electric hot plate.. see microwave oven.
* A cocktail bar
* Mood lighting and bling.

For us.. Must Haves:

* Fixed bed.. have spent enough years making up a Rubics cube every night.

*Garage.. for e- bikes, chairs, tables, and other camping paraphernalia.

* At least 3 belted travelling seats.

* Under 7mts. this was my max length for drive.. also, the bigger they are the more difficult it is to find parking .. used to have an 11mt RV and it was great to live in but very restricted for sites and places it could be taken.. ideal for full time..

* Good payload.. this is critical and you must check.

* For all year use both here and abroad.. A Double floor, fully winterised, both waste and fresh tanks housed in the void.. .. no exposed fresh water or drain pipes.

* Solar power and twin 85ah batteries to enable off grid camping..

* Spare wheel.. many new models come without and have a tube of puncture repair gunk.

I have since fitted

* Auto satellite dish... a luxury that is not essential.. but after years of using tripods and other manual sat dishes, it was my treat to me.

* 200 watt Sterling pure sine wave inverter, to charge cameras and anything that cannot be charged direct from the 12v with an adapter.

* Twin 11kg Gaslow refillable LPG bottles..

Future.

* Would like to fit cruise control..

you can view my van here .
Broken Link Removed

What chassis are you on Jim? Completely agree with all you have said above, the Hymer body will long outlive the Fiat Ducato chassis my Hymer is built on. Had I have had the van from 'newer' I would have had it well treated. The waxoil keeps it 'ok' but the chassis will be a major consideration on any next purchase, and I'll get on my back for a good look!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Essentials?

Levelling ramps and traction mats, plus small 2-way spirit level for use when parking
Digital multimeter
Fridge thermometer
12v socket extenders (ie from one socket to three plus USBs)
Containers for dumping grey water and collecting fresh water - a folding shopping trolley can be handy here.
Anti-slip mats for cupboards/lockers
Electric Hook Up cable, at least 20 metres
Blown air heating system
Insect screens on door and windows
Folding camping chairs
Spare wing mirror glass - you'll see!

If camping away from sites (ie European aires, wild camping), Solar panel with charge controller, Refillable gas cylinder, LED lighting, and 12v/USB chargers for all essential gadgets

Things we've managed without (these will vary with individual needs):

12v/230v Inverter
Cooking equipment beyond 4 rings and a grill
Air conditioning
Aire guide books (we use free SatNav POI files)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What chassis are you on Jim?

Hi David..

It's on the Al-Ko chassis , MAM 4,000kg the bit that might rust is the Fiat front cross member..

I've has a good look though and see none at present.. The first owner had the whole underside treated with Waxoil..

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I can only talk about layout, have no tech/mech knowledge or understanding no matter how hard I try!
Must have (for us) .....
automatic / robotised gearbox
bigger fridge than we currently have
decent shower-room
vehicle & habitation manuals​
Waste of money & therefore space (for us) .....
oven​

Best way to save getting it wrong & having to change your MH? - rent first!

Last edited:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
For us it's:
- A class
- layout. Must have fixed island bed, oven, good sized lounge area
- size of vehicle and engine (min 3 lt) with aircon
- payload
- colour of upholstery and carpets as we have a dog
- fully winterised
- separate shower and loo
- external shower with hot and cold water
- fitted awning
- external bbq point, electric point, TV point

Don't need/want
- microwave
- doors in cab
- cocktail cabinets
- shoe lockers with racks

As others have said, it's very much a personal choice as to what folk deem to be essential and is obviously governed by your budget. I'd make a list of absolute essentials followed with a 'would like list'.

Hope you find your dream MH!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Havnt gone through all the lists in detail, but when looking for our van we have now, only two of us so cuts down on seat belts and stuff you need if there is more of you , but ours was, plenty of roof lights, good wide space in the middle so that you can pass one another easily, (check this, it's not always possible), u shaped lounge, good shower and toilet, full oven, ( which is used all the time), other than that we wanted as much as possible in as small a space as possible, and we think we have found it and no plans on ever looking for anything else(y):)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just looked back at a few, and fixed bed is mentioned, we were looking for one of these, but when looking at a few, we just couldn't do with the cramped space of other things in the size of van we wanted, so went for the u shaped lounge, which unless we have visitors, is set up as a fixed bed anyway , we never push it back and use it to sit on at the table , and other times just use it as a huge settee, but in our setup does not take up another room and you don't have to use those hard sit-up straight seat of a front lounge.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not knocking fixed beds, ideal if you are going for a large van, but in the size we were looking for , just took up to much space.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
For us the lounge area was important so it needed to be spacious to relax in after a long day out walking and such. Whilst making the bed each night isn't ideal we would rather that then a compact lounge with drop down bed or a much longer vehicle.

We also wanted a half decent bathroom rather than a wet room cubicle that many mh's have.

We would be cooking often so a full on oven, grill and gas hob was important and a decent size fridge but as we are rarely on hook up the microwave that came as standard is a bit useless albeit handy for the odd occasion we do have 230v

The Alde heating also was a want as I really don't like the blown air systems and we find it really good.

Last but not least it needed to fit on the drive so no longer than 6.5m!!

It really is a personal thing and it seems rare you can tick all the boxes without some compromise somewhere in layout

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Something the right size. Definition of "right":
  • You can park it at home - that way you can do spur of the moment departures
  • You can drive it down a normal two lane road without breathing in when you meet a milk tanker
  • It has sufficient payload for you.
Things ours has and haven't used in the first year of ownership:
  • Outside barbecue point
  • Outside aerial
  • Mood lighting (where's the romance gone!) - it's no good for scrabble

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not knocking fixed beds, ideal if you are going for a large van, but in the size we were looking for , just took up to much space.

you are correct , a fixed bed does use up space.. but it also allows for a large garage.. and the captains chairs are great for lounging in.. not hard and uncomfortable as you suggest .. these are made by ISIR .. as fitted for drivers in quality coaches and trucks. see picture.

if we all thought the same and had the same requirements there wouldn't be so many layouts.. it's all down to choice.. not one better than the other..

DSCF2304.JPG

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Hi Dave, welcome to fun, we retired to Argyll 7 years ago, you need to look at a good selection of vans and then think about how you would use it. Where about are you based?

Bob

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
agree with the weight issues, had the microwave removed as we have never in 6 years said I wish we had one. have a full cooker which gets well used as does our remoska and single burner gas hob, don't like cooking fish inside.
Must have a cutlery drawer, for some weird reason this van does not, solution is a cutlery tray in the grill compartment not ideal but does the job.

we decided what we thought would do and hired same layout, also tried a PVC bought one same as first we hired would still have had it if we could have carried a motorbike. Enjoy looking

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I would suggest not overlooking a drop down bed. When we bought ours we thought "there is no way you'll get us climbing up there to sleep!" However once we tried it we realised it was a lovely big, comfortable bed and no making up to do or stowing away bedding. Just lift the flap and it's out of sight. As for for climbing the ladder it's a lot less steps than the stairs at home. Drop the flap at the end of a busy day and your bed is ready and waiting. Don't be tempted to discount the idea without trying it.

Wyn

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
................................................ Don't be tempted to discount the idea without trying it.Wyn

.............. and likewise with many other features. Until you've seen/tried them, you really don't know if they will suit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back