leaking window (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a big thanks to Patrick for the 'loan' of some gaffa tape to fix my Kon-leaky window at stratford....:thumb:

cheers mate, still water tight....fix at weekend.:thumb:

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
Having just repaired a leaky window myself can I just give a word of warning. That is don't leave the gaffer tape on too long as it is hard to get the glue off after a few months and it can also stain the panels.

Derek

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just thought John - that leaking window wasn't where all your battery power was draining out was it? :ROFLMAO:

Hope the permanent fixed is easy - and cheap.

Graham

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
the best thing anyone can carry in a motorhome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially when you have a wife like mine that comes home in the state her drinking buddies got her in to at Stratford and wont stop talking:ROFLMAO:

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
window leak?

Hi have you repaired your leak if not give me pm may be i can help u.
Just repaired water leak myself on my van.:thumb:

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Good ole gaffa tape, is there anything it can't do.

it saved my R/C gliders battery at the show when i pulled a wire loose from the heatshrink (lithium polymer battery, is basicaly 2 bags of chemicals with a connection plate at the top, half the weight for double the capacity of the ni-cad pack i had before of the same dimensions, but they are fragile) bit of the good old bodge tape to insulate it, and we were back flying.

i used it to repair the intercooler hose on my engine once, it had worn through from contacting something it shouldent have, so i lost turbo pressure,
few turns of tape and i was on my way with full pressure on the gauge again,
lasted 2 years before i replaced the pipe, amazing when you see how much a silicone intercooler pipe swells under boost, expected it to rip the tape right off.

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Especially when you have a wife like mine that comes home in the state her drinking buddies got her in to at Stratford and wont stop talking:ROFLMAO:

paul, she never looks drunk...well maybe its because i am usually worse then nikki!

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Having just repaired a leaky window myself can I just give a word of warning. That is don't leave the gaffer tape on too long as it is hard to get the glue off after a few months and it can also stain the panels.

Derek

tell me about it Derek.....:Sad:

both wing mirrors on the toad are fixed on with it and it dont come off at all...just the top layer leaving the weave behind.

i didnt do the damage by the way.....me mother did it when it was her car.:Doh:

Patrick pointed this out and said warm it with a hairdrier and it'll come off ok.:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Gaffa tape, don't you just love it. I had a leak between the shower tray and the shower wall. I did a temporary repair with gaffa tape 2 years ago :Blush: I will never forget this repair is temporary as Sian reminds me about it every trip:Doh: Must by some silicone:Smile:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
leak now fixed...:thumb:

but theres no wonder it leaked in the first place.

the opening in the panel was about 10mm bigger than the flange on the window frame and the frame sat on the bottom edge of the opening.

this didnt leave much overlap at the top and the sealer had been put on the frame but not right to the edge so most of it was pressed into the gap around the flange with a very, very thin bead on the frame/panel joint.

it must have leaked in the past as a previous owner had 'over' sealed around the frame which had decayed/rotted.

3/4 tube of low mod sealer/adhesive and about 1/4 tube of 'excess' scraped off when i tightened it up and its now fixed....thank god for masking tape as well.::bigsmile:

also refixed the overcab side trim panel that shirl managed to pull off.

it was originaly fixed with 3 small blobs of silicon and a handful of panel pins and two short screws (screwed into the trim, not the body).
this carries the bed 'safety net' :Eeek:

the remaing 1/4 tube of sealer and two longer screws saw to that.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back