Which product can you recommend Santa brings me? (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think its about time I had some sort of device to pick up wifi from a distance. Which item/package should I get? I already have a 3 mifi that works fine though its a few years old.

I would like to be able to pick up wifi from the MH instead of having to go into a clubhouse etc to obtain it.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Second that. For a no hassle system you can't beat the iBoost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
iboost is a good bit of kit but massively overpriced. solwise do very similar kit at 1/3 of the price. another very cheap alternative is this below, but it does not pick up signals quite as far as the others. think 1/2 a mile instead of 1 mile and only works with a laptop. fine for picking up the signal from most site clubhouses though but well under £20. then set up the laptop to use its built in wifi aerial as a hotspot for phones and tablets

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151394239100?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Another vote for iBoost here

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
iboost is a good bit of kit but massively overpriced.

agreed.. it is

we rarely use sites with wifi, seldom go near a McDees, have rarely found a BT Fon , .. but when we it did find an open or free wifi it works very well... excellent if you are on a site and had to pay for each wifi connection..

however, for our particular use..probably been better buying a Mifi , £160 buys a shed load of data ..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The usefulness of any WiFi booster depends on there being a WiFi source which is close enough to be used and is one which you can connect to (rather than a private one).
I bought a Huawei e5337 4G MiFi and then bought the antenna to go with it from Addie. Works fine for us.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Another vote for iBoost. Brilliant bit of kit. Cost? No it isn't cheap but you get what you pay for.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Another for Solwise we've had one for years and it works well at a reasonable price.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I think its about time I had some sort of device to pick up wifi from a distance. Which item/package should I get? I already have a 3 mifi that works fine though its a few years old.

I would like to be able to pick up wifi from the MH instead of having to go into a clubhouse etc to obtain it.
A new mifi device and external antenna..
And the I boost or similar is as good as it gets unless you go satellite. .
If you want plug and play it's the I boost...as far as I know some of the other devices which do the same job may need a bit of setting up,but others will tell you...
I got the I boost and even I managed to use it..
Ta andy

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
So how come there is an upgrade on the page but doesnt show it as a new item @Addie

Ive decided I want to buy tge longest range possible....or should I say I want mum to buy me. :)

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
The iBoost is a rip off

Go with the Solwise, looks the same type of kit as the iBoost but half the price and dead easy to set up, if you get stuck ask on here and someone will be able to help

Last edited:
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The solwise might be cheaper but if it doesnt reach as far then for me it might be penny wise pound foolish. I would hate if the person next to me could get online using an iboost and me not getting online using the Solwise.
Just how much shorter does it reach? And does people prefer the direction or omni aerial?

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
The Solwise 'Rocket' aerial picked up Whitby Caravan Park wifi which is near the Abbey when I was parked at Blue Bank on the A169 at Sleights

Check google maps if unfamiliar with the locations

Your money though!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
The iBoost is a rip off

Go with the Solwise, looks the same type of kit as the iBoost but half the price and dead easy to set up, if you get stuck ask on here and someone will be able to help
Probably not the most accurate product review ;)
It would be good to see a side by side comparison of the two main suppliers though.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
And does people prefer the direction or omni aerial?

Difficult question, iBoost site explains it quite well..

For using primarily on a site where you know aprox. where the site Wifi is then the directional as it has a greater range.. .. the Omni has less range but doesn't need pointing.. useful when looking for unknown hot spots..

With iBoost you are paying for customer service and ongoing backup.. I had a problem in France, one call to Addie and it was sorted..

However, I still feel for me, a 3 Mifi would be more useful as we rarely use sites with a wifi, and I've had little success in finding BT Fone or open Wifi within range..

Can't comment on Solwise..

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The Solwise 'Rocket' aerial picked up Whitby Caravan Park wifi which is near the Abbey when I was parked at Blue Bank on the A169 at Sleights

Check google maps if unfamiliar with the locations

Your money though!
Is that 6 mile? Never thought even an iboost would reach anywhere near that distance.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The iBoost is a rip off

Go with the Solwise, looks the same type of kit as the iBoost but half the pride and dead easy to set up, if you get stuck ask on here and someone will be able to help

So you don't actually know then?

What exactly are you basing such a comprehensive review on? A quick look at the two web pages and a comparison of prices?

All in all a pretty useless post.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I have a 3 mifi but for example. We are going away next weekend to a place that has no reception. Can go upstairs in the clubhouse for free wifi but if I had a system I could surely pick up the wifi in the MH without sitting in a bar.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just how much shorter does it reach? And does people prefer the direction or omni aerial?

I've got the Omni and I've found it to be pretty much spot on in the UK.

As @ScotJimland says the directional one has a theoretical longer range but it's line of sight so I don't know how often it would be a benefit.

I've also not had much luck with it outside the UK where the mifi has come into its own.

Apart from in Germany. Everything was useless there!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
if I had a system I could surely pick up the wifi in the MH without sitting in a bar.

Yes in theory.

It depends how strong a wifi signal is being kicked out by the router in the building and how far away from it you are.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Jodrell_Bank_1118890a.jpg

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
So you don't actually know then?

What exactly are you basing such a comprehensive review on? A quick look at the two web pages and a comparison of prices?

All in all a pretty useless post.

Followed by

I've got the Omni and I've found it to be pretty much spot on in the UK.

As @ScotJimland says the directional one has a theoretical longer range but it's line of sight so I don't know how often it would be a benefit.

I've also not had much luck with it outside the UK where the mifi has come into its own.

Apart from in Germany. Everything was useless there!

The irony, so you don't know either!! Based on your logic again a useless post as you put it!

I have experience of the Solwise, you the iBoost.....short of having each system side by side at the same location there isn't a definitive answer.

I am more than happy with the performance of the Solwise and the range and it's less than half the price of the iBoost

As I said earlier it's the OP's money but I'm letting him make an informed choice on spending it rather than blindly paying twice as much for a product that does the same job

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back