When does one become a proficient Motorhomer? (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I was whizzing through a campsite booking form today and (thanks mainly to this forum) it suddenly occurred to me just how much info' and knowledge I've soaked up.

Without batting an eyelid, we answer questions on EHU requirements, dimensions of the 'van and on we go with the planning. We know what an 'Elsan Point' is, how it's handy to have different lengths of hose for fresh water uplift and to remember to carry a few spare 'hooks' in your toilet bag for when they're absent in the site showers.

Not so many years ago, the terms EHU, off-grid, grey or black waste, levelling and reverse polarity etc would have been a foreign language to me. Wild camping sounded like something hippies do and an 'Aire' would be something heard on a G-string! Now, I get in the MH, fire it up and head off to Europe. I don't say this to be flash, just to illustrate how far I've come on the MH learning journey.

Notice I never used the word expert. The great thing about our pastime, is that you never become one. There's always something to learn!

So; at what stage does one become 'proficient'? Perhaps when you get to the stage that you're confident to cover most elementary aspects of operation?

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
NEVER !! And be sure,someone will witness that..... "Senior moment". You can have a "Drill/proceedure" in setting up/vacating an overnight stop,someone with good intentions will engage you in conversation........ Ooooops.
Tea Bag

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Until I joined I never realised how easy it was to open your grey waste as you left a site.

By the time you get home the tank is empty and all sorted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I was whizzing through a campsite booking form today and (thanks mainly to this forum) it suddenly occurred to me just how much info' and knowledge I've soaked up.

Without batting an eyelid, we answer questions on EHU requirements, dimensions of the 'van and on we go with the planning. We know what an 'Elsan Point' is, how it's handy to have different lengths of hose for fresh water uplift and to remember to carry a few spare 'hooks' in your toilet bag for when they're absent in the site showers.

Not so many years ago, the terms EHU, off-grid, grey or black waste, levelling and reverse polarity etc would have been a foreign language to me. Wild camping sounded like something hippies do and an 'Aire' would be something heard on a G-string! Now, I get in the MH, fire it up and head off to Europe. I don't say this to be flash, just to illustrate how far I've come on the MH learning journey.

Notice I never used the word expert. The great thing about our pastime, is that you never become one. There's always something to learn!

So; at what stage does one become 'proficient'? Perhaps when you get to the stage that you're confident to cover most elementary aspects of operation?
You are proficient when you can go on weekend trip without posting on MH fun, either;

How do I .........?
Or
I got gassed !

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
kung-fu_tv-master_po-young_grasshopper.jpg

"Only when you extinguish all candles without splashing gley water on floor
are you ready to dlive MH away flom temple Glasshopper."

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
When you have a 100 trips done you think you know everything.
When you have 500 trips done you know you know everything.
When you have a 1000 trips done you know that you will never know everything !

Me, long way to go ! ..... But MHFun makes it easy to get it somewhat right !

Deleted User
Absolutely agree that every day is a school day,

However some folk don't half make it complicated.

Toads, trailers crammed full of stuff, bits of tent strapped to the side of the van, aqua rolls (with extra pumps), waste rollers etc etc etc

Handbrake on, spin the seats, crack open the vino (y)

Vive le difference, each to there own etc

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Absolutely agree that every day is a school day,

However some folk don't half make it complicated.

Toads, trailers crammed full of stuff, bits of tent strapped to the side of the van, aqua rolls (with extra pumps), waste rollers etc etc etc

Handbrake on, spin the seats, crack open the vino (y)

Vive le difference, each to there own etc
I'm really proficient............

......proved it by driving down the driveway with the EHU still connected :blush:

Thanks to Pilote's clever bit of design it simply ripped the plug out without causing any damage. Or were we just lucky??

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
to remember to carry a few spare 'hooks' in your toilet bag for when they're absent in the site showers.
What a great idea! You've just proved that we are not yet proficient!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Great post like others don't think we would ever be able to say we are proficient always something new to discover, but what I do notice when we are out and about chatting to folk the information we have gleaned on at the forum against a lot who don't use the internet is often surprising .

A small example we were chatting to a couple who had there very nice 4 year old van from new and they never realised they could use it without a electric hook up, in fact I doubt they believed us when we told them we often did :Eeek:

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Never a expert and always learning and proud to admit it even after having camper vans for nearly forty years. (y)

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Well you know what an expert is - EX is a "Has been" and a SPERT is a "Drip under pressure".

Dave

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We you can negotiate an A Class through a Greek hill top village with only a couple of inches clearance on either side.:)
Doesn't stop me backing into a wall 6' away though (with reversing cameras).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well, I hate to contradict you, and others, but I've noticed there are lots of experts on this forum. :) on practically every subject debated. :)
True .. just not expert on what they are babbling on about though!:LOL:

Apr 7, 2008
Garstang, Lancashire, UK.
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 1968.
Well all I can add is that since purchasing my very first motorhome in 1968 I'm still not even at the proficient level!!! But I'm still able to learn and be taught, trouble is these days it goes in one ear and out the other.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Well after 20yrs of camping ,caravanning and motorhoming,11 of those in RV,s and motorhomes ,we still haven't reached the prestigous accolade of being proficient :LOL::LOL:
Brian & Jo

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
You are proficient right up until the moment you drive into something!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
When you can open the van door to get out in the morning without forgetting the van is alarmed.

I caused havoc early Saturday morning on that front.

Couldn't find the fob to turn it off and then couldn't find my glasses so that I could see the button I needed to press.:D

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Don't know about proficient, I am an " able" motorhomer, in that I am "able" to do some stuff well and "able" to do other stuff not as well as I thought I could.
Doesnt stop me trying all the time though...

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Only been doing MH'ing for 4 years, so for me it's a case of I thought I know that, then someone tells me different.
Now I called myself versed in the art, but everyday is a learning curve.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back