Free Member
Jan 10, 2011
Altea-Benidorm
Funster No
MH
busy researching now
Exp
sadly none yet
In connection with an EGR issue, have decided to buy a fuel additive. Looking at the reviews on the Halfords site (all of which relate to cars not motorhomes) people are very positive about the Millers oil products - probably the Diesel Power Ecomax product but there´s also a product by Forte - Advanced Formula Diesel Treatment. They are both about the same price, and probably do the same job - clean the injectors, reduce black smoke etc - just wondered if there was favourite amongst us Motorhomers? I was getting some heavy black smoke in 2nd-3rd gear changes but following advice I gave my Bessacarr a decent thrash and for now it´s visually better, but thought i´d give it some help since most driving is done around the 2k RPM mark.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
My autocruse had to go in for turbo not kicking in . Nothing wrong with turbo it's me not giving a thrash now and then I drive too slow .so give me some redx to put though. So from now on it gets a bit of stick. But nicely.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
A lot of people recommend the Forte diesel treatment for cleaning out things. That, combined with the obligatory Italian tune up............

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I was recommended to use the Forte treatment by Geo of Pecks Hill Garage.
I only use it once a year after an annual service.
Brisey.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
A neighbour of ours has been experiencing a number of issues with fuel, additives and his Freelander. His mechanic has advised him that additives in some fuels and in solutions that can be added to tanks are causing a number of issues with engines in newer vehicles.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I used a combination of Wynns Clean Burn and Forte Turbo Cleaner earlier this year. They certainly cleaned up my emmissions.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've had Soltron recommended after a friend in the trade, whose opinion I trust, had used it. I'm going to use it myself.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I've had Soltron recommended after a friend in the trade, whose opinion I trust, had used it. I'm going to use it myself.
i use sparex soltron treatment ,or fuel set.
plus add a few gallon of petrol occasionally in my 200 litre diesel tank.
the last thing you need is diesel bug breading in your tank.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
i use sparex soltron treatment ,or fuel set.
plus add a few gallon of petrol occasionally in my 200 litre diesel tank.
the last thing you need is diesel bug breading in your tank.
Yes, but unless the fuel additives have a good biocide in them then they won't do anything about the bacteria.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats the idea of soltron or fuel set. they do have them .
mind we found a regular mix of petrol got rid of it in some trucks over the years .

Deleted User
I used a combination of Wynns Clean Burn and Forte Turbo Cleaner earlier this year. They certainly cleaned up my emmissions.
I had a problem with turbo causing vehicle to go into limp mode and this happened 6 times on a journey of 150 miles. I have since added 2 bottles of the Forte Turbo Cleaner and haven't had any problems over the last 1000 miles.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
the last thing you need is diesel bug breading in your tank
unless the fuel additives have a good biocide in them
Well I read this and thought it was some in-joke I've yet to catch up on ;)
Anyway, like a good little Funster, I googled it - I'm gob-smacked!!! :eek:
I knew I was pretty ignorant on all things mechanical but this seems WAY out there - never heard of it, wouldn't have thought it possible o_O
Need to do more reading - how likely is it that I'll have a problem with it etc :unsure:

:) The things you learn on FUN :)

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Not excessively expensive either. On Amazon for £15.77 for 1 litre including P&P and that treats 200 litres of fuel. I will try this next time (before next MOT). :)
Yes, it is very good.
Tip...... To get emissions really low add 250ml to about 20 litres diesel and run it on that. The emissions regs in ROI are crazy strict and we use it to bring them down on older vehicles... works well.
Run the vehicle on the recommended dilutions (200:1) afterwards and keeps EGR's/Turbos/Swirl flaps clean afterwards.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
There's a guy advertising just this near us, Terraclean I think it's called and he connects up to your fuel system and claims to give your engine and fuel system a really good clean out. Don't know if it's nationwide or not?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I generally fill up with Broken Link Removed.

not every fill as not always available.. but always look for the premium grade diesel whatever the make..

so, rather than using additives is this not a better solution ? (no pun intended)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Well I read this and thought it was some in-joke I've yet to catch up on ;)
Anyway, like a good little Funster, I googled it - I'm gob-smacked!!! :eek:
I knew I was pretty ignorant on all things mechanical but this seems WAY out there - never heard of it, wouldn't have thought it possible o_O
Need to do more reading - how likely is it that I'll have a problem with it etc :unsure:

:) The things you learn on FUN :)

To be honest, it is fairly unlikely but bio fuels are more likely to suffer from this problem. It is caused by aerobic bacteria living in the oil water interface in the tank (and yes, your fuel tank will have traces of water) and I have only seen it once in vehicles - on an old horse box. I snaffled one of my bug testing kits from work and sure enough.....bugs. you can usually smell it as sulphur compounds are a by product. To be honest, I would forget all about it - it isn't going to happen to you any time soon (y)

Look on the bright side - the last ship I dealt with that had this problem we had to dispose of 4500 tonnes of bad fuel.

I generally fill up with Broken Link Removed.

not every fill as not always available.. but always look for the premium grade diesel whatever the make..

so, rather than using additives is this not a better solution ? (no pun intended)
Exactly what I do, Jim - never a bad thing to give the bus a treat with some premium diesel - I tend to use it every third or fourth fill. The engine is designed and certified for the original bog standard fuel and should run for very many thousands of miles on it without any issues but the premium stuff has much more in the way of detergents and other additives and do help keep everything tip top(y)(y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
diesel bug can be transferred in many ways . just moisture in the air is enough . you only need a previous person to have put the pump spout in a tank with the bug.
its very common in marina places , boats etc suffer more than vehicles . but have seen loads of vehicles with it . ford cargo trucks were leaving the factory it seemed with it in their tanks a few years ago.
but have seen many cars and m,homes with it .
at one time we used to buy a diesel bug killer off our local esso depot . but as i no longer have a diesel tank on site i dont buy that quantity these days .
farm machinery suffer with it as well . leaving vehicles un used seems to encourage it.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
diesel bug can be transferred in many ways . just moisture in the air is enough . you only need a previous person to have put the pump spout in a tank with the bug.
its very common in marina places , boats etc suffer more than vehicles . but have seen loads of vehicles with it . ford cargo trucks were leaving the factory it seemed with it in their tanks a few years ago.
but have seen many cars and m,homes with it .
at one time we used to buy a diesel bug killer off our local esso depot . but as i no longer have a diesel tank on site i dont buy that quantity these days .
farm machinery suffer with it as well . leaving vehicles un used seems to encourage it.
Ships and boats it can be an issue. I had a little project which was giving german yachts the once over during the winter and detecting any bugs - made quite a bit of revenue but it wasn't really profitable. Having dealt with vehicle companies and end users over the last few years with fuel quality (including the infamous Tesco incident....) i think that you must have been very unlucky indeed to come across this issue so many times in recent times.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think living down here and being involved in the local transport farming industry see more than perhaps city dwellers . i think the holding tanks for diesel are the problem .
i just add a bit in my tanks because prevention is better than cure .
plus i,m sure some of the diesel i get in spain or portugal is more like kerosene . some doesnt look or feel like diesel. it burns but better safe than sorry.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
i think living down here and being involved in the local transport farming industry see more than perhaps city dwellers . i think the holding tanks for diesel are the problem .
i just add a bit in my tanks because prevention is better than cure .
plus i,m sure some of the diesel i get in spain or portugal is more like kerosene . some doesnt look or feel like diesel. it burns but better safe than sorry.
Well, I'm not a city dweller and have worked for all my life with fuels and for the last 31 years dealing with fuel quality issues on a global basis. You are right - it is the holding tanks, since the bigger the tank the more likely there is to be some water build up. Try scaling that up and think about a large container ship, where the engine room temp is typically 35-40 deg C and the fuel is kept for sometimes several months at that temperature. Potential for disaster and really smelly claggy fuel filters. Lots of biocide can fix it but as you say, prevention is better than cure

The diesel that you buy in Spain and Portugal must, by law, meet EN 590 for road use and thus will be the same stuff as you get here

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
wasnt aimed at yourself . i realize you know what your on about . it was more as a bit of knowledge for others that dont know.
i would like to think the diesel abroad is ok . but it certainly seems different. does look and feel like kerosene with oil in it .
but have fun and lets hope we never see the bug again . i must say its amazing how it breeds or multiplies .

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
wasnt aimed at yourself . i realize you know what your on about . it was more as a bit of knowledge for others that dont know.
i would like to think the diesel abroad is ok . but it certainly seems different. does look and feel like kerosene with oil in it .
but have fun and lets hope we never see the bug again . i must say its amazing how it breeds or multiplies .
No worries

Try standing there looking at 4500 tonnes of bug ridden fuel on a ship that costs $40,000 a day to charter that is going nowhere any time soon............. Owners, managers, charterers and the Chief Engineer all demanding a solution........now!!! ;) So glad I don't have to deal with cr@p like that any more. it is a truly horrible problem

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
just ran a tankful of diesel with BG244 through the van and my car. on the drive down to spain after the treatment my sprinter 316 (4.2 tonne) towing a 960 kg fiat panda on a 350kg trailer gave 25.8 mpg , thats brim to brim . not cheap at £21 a can that treats 60 litres but i think it made a real difference.

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Having run a garage along side my late husband we used to recommend Wynns or Forte products , both of which are avaiable at local motor factors. We used them in all our vehicles and they do work. I use them in my car every 6 or so fill ups and motorhome once a year. I think there is an EGR cleaner that Forte make but would need to be done at tyhe garage as there is a special cap that is used.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Having run a garage along side my late husband we used to recommend Wynns or Forte products , both of which are avaiable at local motor factors. We used them in all our vehicles and they do work. I use them in my car every 6 or so fill ups and motorhome once a year. I think there is an EGR cleaner that Forte make but would need to be done at tyhe garage as there is a special cap that is used.
Son in law uses Forte in older vehicles just prior to MOT (plus of course the aforementioned Italian tune up)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back