Antony bleasdale

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
we are beginning to plan our 1st trip to France next year to France. Part of my bucket list is to watch a mountain stage of the tour. I would like to know how early do you need to be there before parking etc becomes full. Wouldn't be surprised if people spend a day or two before race day

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
about the same time you need to boil sprouts for Christmas dinner .. two weeks ? :LOL:

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
If you go to one of the big well known mountain stages (eg col d'izoard), you may find vans parked more than a week ahead ! Often in a group with a car/motorbike for trips out.
If you choose a less famous climb you can leave it a lot later but most vans will turn up about a day and a half ahead to get a good spot.
Some mountain stages are more motorhome friendly than others. If you pick one that is also a ski resort there is often lots of space for van parking.
You should definitely give it a go, its a great experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Good question Antony, we're also considering the same for next year.

alan

OP
OP
Antony bleasdale

Antony bleasdale

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Initially I am looking at day 19, 22nd July which is albertville to Saint-gervais-les brains. Haven't researched the route of the day yet but it's in the Mont Blanc area so could be chocka?. Don't really want to spend days in one area as my better half won't be to impressed

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We often combine a TDF stage with a bit of mountain walking. Often in a ski resort the lifts will be open for summer walking and sight seeing.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
On a mountain stage (particularly near the end of a long stage) the riders may be very spread out on a climb. They will come past quite slowly and it may be 10 to 15 minutes (or longer) before all the cyclists go past.
I agree, watching a flat TDF stage you may see the peloton just whoosh past, it is a bit underwhelming.

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
If you go to one of the big well known mountain stages (eg col d'izoard), you may find vans parked more than a week ahead ! Often in a group with a car/motorbike for trips out.
If you choose a less famous climb you can leave it a lot later but most vans will turn up about a day and a half ahead to get a good spot.
Some mountain stages are more motorhome friendly than others. If you pick one that is also a ski resort there is often lots of space for van parking.
You should definitely give it a go, its a great experience.

Agree with this advice and that you should give it a go. Good route next year plenty of mountain stages

Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
We have been to 18 stages of the Tour de France in 3 separate years and it's not all about the bikes going past. It has a real festive atmosphere and we have met some great people on the roadside. We tend to go 2 days to park on a hill section and enjoy the atmosphere. We have met some real characters while waiting for the event and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Below is a short story of one of the stages we were at as well as a few photo's.
http://www.travelbunyip.com/painting-tdf/
I would recommend the TDF to everyone.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
We were on the Col de Lers this year. Arrived the day before the appropriate stage. Got one of the last spaces half way up by the lake/restaurant.

Absolutely fabulous atmosphere the night before, a giant outdoor party. After the caravan and the race has passed. Sit in camping car and watch on the tv because it will be forever before you can get off the spot.

We are planning to be in Andorra this year (2016)

Go for it. Clive

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Col de Sauveterre for us this year and it was the only day Sky didn't run the peleton they just trundled up in the autobus. The col wasn't a great one but we got halfway up the mountain the day before with no problems and saw the pre race (ex pros and sports stars from different countries making money for leukaemia) I even got a wave off Geoff Thomas and Lance Armstrong as I shouted at the pair of them. Made friends for the day with all nationalities who couldn't speak English but wanted the shade off my awning. The train that comes through a couple of hours beforehand is worth getting your elbows sharpened up for to grab the freebies

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Saw it in Les Gets in the alps years ago wouldn't bother again the I don't really follow cycling we just were there for a weeks holiday. The ski resorts in summer are fun.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
This isn't a criticism .. it is a genuine question... Having watched the Kellogs race once and standing round for ages to see bikes zoom past for about sixty seconds .. :( .. arn't you best watching the race on tv?
No.. it's a great experience with a party atmosphere and awesome scenery (mountain stages).
Of course watch it on TV too.

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
I know the stages have been announced for next years tour but does anyone know the actual date that the detailed route is published? so I can start planning where I'm actually going to park!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This isn't a criticism .. it is a genuine question... Having watched the Kellogs race once and standing round for ages to see bikes zoom past for about sixty seconds .. :( .. arn't you best watching the race on tv?

Ah Joy

Spoken like somebody who has never been to the Tour de France, forget Kellogs and all the rest there is an atmosphere about the Tour than no other cycle race can recreate, to be honest it would be nearly as good without the bikes. There again if you just want to watch the race TV for sure.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That applies to most sports, did our first MotoGP this year, yes the race was much better to watch on TV, but the atmosphere at the track was awesome definitely be going again.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
All the large villages/small towns the TdF goes through, seem to go bike mad in the run up to the day they'll be cycling through - helluva lot of organisation, decoration of buildings, shop windows etc etc.

Reminded me of when I was a teenager and WBA got to the Cup Final and won the FA Cup - whole town was blue and white! I should imagine everywhere this happens to the local team is much the same?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back