Car or Hgv license (1 Viewer)

F

filbs123

Deleted User
Hi...were brand new here,and looking around to buy a used Amereican RV,would someone kindly explain how long/heavy the RV has to be before a Hgv licence is required..
thanks ..and a great forum...Allan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hi Allan,

Really simple...Size does not matter where HGV is concerned, just weight.

If it's GVWR is 7.5 tonnes or more, HGV needed - Under 7.5 tonnes, it isn't.

HTH

Bryan

Upvote 0

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Hi,welcome to fun.
Firstly when did you pass your test?New type licence is 3,.5 tonne,old pink?green licence is upto 7.5 tonne.I think if it was before 1997 then upto 7.5t,but i am sure someone will be along shortly to clarify.
Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Allen and welcome to the fun.

depends on your licence but

if you passed your car test before '97 then you are entitled to drive upto 7.5ton + a 750kg trailer on your 'C1'(car) licence or any trailer if you have 'C1+E' entitlement

if passed after '97 then its only 3.5ton.

to drive anything over 7.5ton whether test passed before or after '97 you must take a 'C' class test.

'C+E' entitlement will allow you to tow a trailer as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

filbs123

Deleted User
Hi everyone.and thanks for the quick reply I am 52 years old and past my driving test when I was 18.......a distant memory now,so if I understand it correctly I am entitled to drive upto 7.5 ton...thanks gain..Allan

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Hi everyone.and thanks for the quick reply I am 52 years old and past my driving test when I was 18.......a distant memory now,so if I understand it correctly I am entitled to drive upto 7.5 ton...thanks gain..Allan

Imagine how I feel I'm 56 this year..but the strange thing is I remember the exact day I passed me test 12/July 1971 I only remember cos it was me dads birthday!! He was 41 that day!!

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Allan,

Really simple...Size does not matter where HGV is concerned, just weight.

If it's GVWR is 7.5 tonnes or more, HGV needed - Under 7.5 tonnes, it isn't.

HTH

Bryan
further complicated by your licence limitations, Driving licence before 1997 you can drive up to 7.5 ton, after that you are limited to 3.5 ton

Further complicated if prior to 1997 and the vehicle concerned is a coach conversion then some do say you can drive up to 20 ton, on the D1 portion of your licence, oh how complicated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
On the same topic of licence permission, we're looking to change the MHome and saw one at Stratford.

On the details it says 3.8tGVW ( 3.5 possible if required). What does that mean? We have to take all the stuff out and travel with empty tanks? We can't take the toys,cat or daughters? :cry:

We passed our tests in the 1960's so should be all right. Do I remember that we have to move to a smaller van when we reach 70?:Eeek:
Lucille

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
On the same topic of licence permission, we're looking to change the MHome and saw one at Stratford.

On the details it says 3.8tGVW ( 3.5 possible if required). What does that mean? We have to take all the stuff out and travel with empty tanks? We can't take the toys,cat or daughters? :cry:

We passed our tests in the 1960's so should be all right. Do I remember that we have to move to a smaller van when we reach 70?:Eeek:
Lucille

its based on a standard 3.5t van and then uprated to 3.8t. usually by fitting air suspension.
it says can be 3.5t if needed 'cos thats what it is to start with.....supplied with its normal suspension.

at age 70 your licence reverts to a max 3.5t unless you can pass the advanced medical i beleive.

yopu can have a 3.8t downplated to 3.5t for the cost of the paperwork.....just means you cant carry as much weight even though its still capable of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It was in all probability registered as a 3.5 when built as are most Euro vans
Then upgraded to 3.8 as it had little or no payload as per most euro vans so what their saying is if your licence wont allow you to drive it you can down rate it to 3.5 and just get charged with being over weight as per most euro vans
Just for fairness quite a few RVs too:RollEyes:
in other words nothing strange in any of those statements by the dealer
Yes you may need an annual medical to continue driving at 3.8 later on:thumb:
But then you just down rate it and leave the old man at home:whatthe:
Geo

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
better to be over 3.5 should be cheaper road tax.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks guys it makes sense now.
Can't leave the old man at home as he's the one who makes props to shore up collapsing beds. So guess the cat can't come.:cry:
Geo, Dave says to tell you the 3" x 2" worked a treat and we got home safe to find that on our mountain someone had gone over the edge in his land rover and taken out the pphone and electric lines to the whole of a nearby village and half of Llangollen.
What an exciting weekend !

Lucille

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I bet he woud swop his experiance for your broken bed
Its about time you came clean,
Just what were you two up to:Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We'd taken the Encyclopedia Brittanica with us for a little light bedside reading and we'd got up to the section Se.
But the 32 volumes were obviously a little too much....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back