How to 'burn' to a DVD / CD (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
On my computer there's a DVD rom, which I take to be read only, and a DVD R / RW which should write to a CD or DVD. Mine will not write ! I've tried CD -RW, DVD + RW & -RW, but windows wizard still says something like 'put a recordable CD (DVD) in the drive'. I don't think that I have any 'burning' software on the computer, but Id've thought that windows or the software that maybe came with the DVD writer would do it. Am I mistaken, and do I need 'burning' software ?

The DVD R / RW is an NEC ND 1300 and was original installation by the supplier.

regards

Allen

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Are you trying to make an Audio CD or are you trying to copy data for storage?

Also, you don't list CD-r as a format that you've tried, these tend to be the most reliable imho.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Burning software is best IMO but you can also drag and drop files onto the drive with a blank media inserted.

I tend to use NERO.Works reliably.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Its possible that the disk needs formatting before the software will recognise it.There will be an option to format disk on your screen.
Hope this maybe of some help.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Its possible that the disk needs formatting before the software will recognise it.There will be an option to format disk on your screen.
Hope this maybe of some help.

agreed!!!!!

mine wouldnt burn until i formated the blank disc.

it wont recognise a new, blank disc of any type without formating first.

hawkeye6007

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Fareham Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
14 years
NEC DVD burner

Maybe you need a firmware update. Try typing NEC ND 1300 into Google

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
A great free piece of software is imgburn

Link Removed

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
An update :
looking through installed programs I found 'Ahead Nero', so I tried to burn using that.
Everytime I put a DVD in, + or - RW, it kept replying with an incorrect medium message.
It was telling me to put a CD in. I put a CD-RW (previously recorded on by my daughter) in and it worked. My re-writer definetly says it's DVD re-writable and looking through device properties it says it's a Sony DVD RW DW U18A. It's tagged enabled, but the driver has got a date of 2001.

A few of you mentioned I would need to format a DVD. How would I do that ? Can't find a format command anywhere. I've got windows xp with sp2 installed. I recently had to replace the hard drive due to mechanical failure.

Thanks to all for the help.

regards

Allen

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Bit of a guess here Allen but it may be that the drivers haven't been properly re-installed after your hard drive replacement. Could it be that it is defaulting to CD only default drivers within XP? You could try updating the driver from within Device Manager.

Another thing you might try is to remove the drive then start the machine and then close it down (so it realises it is a system without the drive). Then put the drive back in and start the machine again. That might make it recognise the drive as new hardware and install the correct drivers.

Graham

itexuk

Free Member
Apr 3, 2008
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat x250
Exp
Info re Windows XP
Do you want to record onto blank DVD disks using a recordable DVD drive? Windows XP can read and play back DVDs, but it can't record them.

If you want to record music using Windows XP then use CD+R or CD+RW discs.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Hiya

Just a thought... Have you got "recording" enabled on the drive ?

If you look in the properties of the drive (right click + "properties") you will see a "recording" tab, where you can "Enable CD Recording"...

Cheers

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back