Oct 23, 2015
WIGAN
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
None yet
Hello Everyone,

As I was twiddling my thumbs whilst the CC Club together forum was off air again, I surfed the net for something interesting and found this site! :rolleyes:
I feel a cheat as we don't have a motorhome and not really sure if we do actually want one

After caravanning for around 30 years we were possibly contemplating making the switch but at the moment we are stuck with wanting a quart in a pint pot!
We recently viewed lots of MHs at the NEC but nothing stands out so not sure if our motorhome is really out there and would we be better off staying with a caravan.

I can hear you all shouting "No, No ,No" but whilst we can probably see the advantages in good weather, our recent week away in cold weather showed the disadvantages - car much better than cycling when its cold and wet
Anyway that is our dilemma and I look forward to reading all the differing views ( possibly all one sided on a motorhome forum :)) but it will be interesting!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No cheat at all, delighted to welcome you here. If reading some of the posts here doesn't put you off the idea of a MH then you might actually be better off with one!

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome to motorhome fun, does not matter wether it's a caravan, tent, or a van with a materess everyone is welcome to join in Fun. Have a read take a peak at some of the excellent blogs you never know you may join in with a Motorhome one day, in the meantime enjoy the forum. :welc:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK
Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hire before you buy and give it a try and when you travel around like a snail you don't need to return for your home.

OP
OP
B

burtspieeater

Free Member
Oct 23, 2015
WIGAN
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
None yet
We did actually hire one in Australia last year and we could see the advantages. We obviously saw hundreds during our 6 weeks in France this year but whilst motorhoming abroad is probably the upside I would suggest that in this country it shows the downside of motorhoming

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Hello and welcome from me too (although I still feel too much of a newb to welcome newsters)

This is a very active forum, some EXTREMELY knowledgeable contributors about motorhoming issues, but some great off topic stuff too.

Join in and enjoy the forum, but my advice would also be to try "Motorhoming"- I keep thinking that a caravan would suit my needs, very comfortable, doesn't need an MoT or tax, blah, blah, blah, but then I get in my 25 year old MoHo instead of the car and just go to the shops; it is unbeatable.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
:welc: You will find out one way or another. I have a caravan and recently bought a mature Hymer which I plan to use for the next couple of years. On retirement I will replace her with a "younger sister" as I have found one which is the exact equivalent of my (French) caravan but with two seats and a steering wheel where the A frame would be. I was a VW Dormobile camper in a past life. Welcome in the water is warm and the natives are friendly. Clive

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Welcome, we had a caravan until July last year then thought we'd have a look at motorhomes as we love touring but didn't like towing. Went to a massive motorhome site whilst away in Norfolk and decided to change. Not looked back since and loving it. Best of both worlds, just like a caravan as can tour be see loads of different places with total freedom but much more convenient as can stop in loads more places, inc free camps and non or little set up when we get there.

Whatever you decide is best for you you will fit in here if you have an opinion and enjoy outdoor life.

briantimber

Free Member
Oct 22, 2015
OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS AUTOQUEST
Exp
SINCE 2011
Welcome Burts. Still very new myself, but glad to see a familiar name, you've made a good choice mate as all are very welcoming on here....So far:cool:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'm getting to the stage where I can't walk ever so far now and I must admit in the UK where there aren't any Aires, the pub or shop or whatever that we used to walk to from this CL or that one, is now too far - or we might go on a rally and maybe 'let's all go here for Sunday lunch' when you have to wait and see if there are enough cars for everyone in a MoHo to get a lift - is getting to me a bit.

But then we go abroad and there are aires - and maybe there isn't even a campsite near, even if it didn't cost an arm and leg in comparison to aires.

I just don't know! except - there is room on earth for all of us whether under canvas, in a 'tin tent' or a camping car, yes even in an hotel! - and we'll still speak to everyone!

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
welcome animated smiley.gif

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome!

You will only get the best out of a motorhome if you cut the chord and lose the reliance on Caravan sites.

A motorhome comes into its own if you use it as somewhere to sleep near to where you visit.
Parking it on a base camp for a week and travelling to local attractions daily will have you yearning for your caravan again.
Motorhomes really come into their own for Continental trips. There is a HUGE network of stopovers and motorhomers are far more welcome there than in the UK.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hello Everyone,

As I was twiddling my thumbs whilst the CC Club together forum was off air again, I surfed the net for something interesting and found this site! :rolleyes:
I feel a cheat as we don't have a motorhome and not really sure if we do actually want one

After caravanning for around 30 years we were possibly contemplating making the switch but at the moment we are stuck with wanting a quart in a pint pot!
We recently viewed lots of MHs at the NEC but nothing stands out so not sure if our motorhome is really out there and would we be better off staying with a caravan.

I can hear you all shouting "No, No ,No" but whilst we can probably see the advantages in good weather, our recent week away in cold weather showed the disadvantages - car much better than cycling when its cold and wet
Anyway that is our dilemma and I look forward to reading all the differing views ( possibly all one sided on a motorhome forum :)) but it will be interesting!

Welcome! Dilema easily solved. Weather shite = stay home. Weather good = get as far away as possible:)

The cardinal rule is follow the sun...

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We had this dilemma for several years. Finally took the plunge 5 years ago at one of the big shows and we love it. My advice would be to take the bikes when it's fine and either use the van or take the bus when it's not. However, our usual solution is to go to the places we want to see en route including the supermarket. But as everyone has said you're welcome here anyway.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
One big plus with a caravan. If you are still working then you can leave the family on a nice site in the caravan then either get the train or drive back to work. I did this regulary all the years that we had caravans. Fantastic times.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Well I wonder if you got the response you expected? This for me is the best site. You can get expert advice on every subject known to man (and woman) .......and not just on motorhome topics! We've had motorhomes for more than 10 years now, and before that a variety of tents and trailer tents, but never, (for no particular reason) a caravan. We use ours in different ways:
Long tours, staying a few days in various locations
Long stays (eg winter in Spain) in one location
Day trips to the local beaches, using the MH as a base.

We generally take the bikes with us and use those or our feet, for outings and shopping trips, but when the old legs give out, I plan to return to my youth and buy a scooter! If I ever get to the point where I would consider towing a car behind the MH - which seems increasingly common, even with relatively small MHs - I would do what you do. Buy a caravan. Why would anyone spend huge sums on an MH then effectively use it like a car/caravan unit? Must be the "tight" Tyke in me!

OP
OP
B

burtspieeater

Free Member
Oct 23, 2015
WIGAN
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
None yet
Thanks for all your ( expected !) comments but as I sit here looking out of the window at a miserable wet day, I would much prefer to be in a caravan today.

I really believe a MH would be better abroad but could I live with its limitations in the UK? No doubt we would be spending more time abroad than we do at home so that is obviously a plus point

Hiring in the UK might be the way to resolve the question

Deleted User
We caravanned for 15 years before getting our first MH 10 years ago.

I would say that if you mostly intend to stay in the UK on sites then stick with the caravan.

If you fancy touring Europe (using aires, stellplatze, municipals, sites and wild camping) then get a MH

For us it's the freedom of European touring that makes the MH unbeatable, in the UK motor homing can be a pain in the arris.

Others may (will) disagree ;)

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I have found that the ideal solution is to own a motorhome, much better for continental touring and travel in the UK with a brother who has a caravan.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Hello and :welc:.

Like many we followed the progression from two person ridge tent, via a caravan for many years, and 5 years ago to a MH.
Layout is critical to match to your lifestyle, be it caravan or MH, and if you have been to the NEC then that is probably the UK's best show with most options there. Your only hope after that is one of the German shows where you may see even more continental models.
There is no doubt there are more restrictions for the MH in the UK, and for many reasons local authorities here are not geared up for the one or two night motorhome lifestyle.
However, having had a caravan and having to use sites, we are not as anti sites as some. There are one great CL's here in both clubs, but they tend not to have good public transport links. Our issue is we need more often than not to find sites within easy reach of things to do on foot, or with good public transport nearby, and that is restrictive.
You also can't just turn up at a car park in you MH, so much more planning needed. But, that is half of the fun.
It's swings and roundabouts, we found we were not wanting to spend a week at a time on a single site, and we like European travel, helped in a great part by facilities for motorhomes.
We can right now make the decision to go, get some basic food shopping, and be away within half an hour. Arrival on site and set up in ten minutes (a little longer if arriving light on water), which includes silver screen and lining up to the inch if on CC sites. It takes about 30 minutes maximum to stow everything ready for off to next site or home, providing we don't stop chatting for too long to other campers.
Whatever you decide, best wishes.:)

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I like the comment about lining up to the inch on club sites.....even worse if you own a foreign van and dare to ask if you can park the other way around you can have a view. You risk annoying the Geheime Stats Polizei....

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Caravan - lower cost, more room and transport on site.

MH wins only for those more nomadic types that don't stay put long or just plain don't want to tow. Those who tow a car are an odd bunch, two motor vehicles wearing out, two lots of tax and insurance, a trailer to sort out, smaller accommodation. OK some UK only types may use an A-frame which is a touch easier but no longer acceptable in mainland Europe.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Well I regularly have both a motorhome and a caravan. the differences are as important as the similarities. However where a motorhome wins for me is that you can just pop out for a day out with your motorhome. then park up somewhere and have a cuppa or a meal and have your own facilities. try doing that with a caravan and towcar. one favourite is to park up opposite the beach or beside a quay and marina

as for touring with a motorhome, each day you move on to experience something new and are not forced to backtrack each time to where you left the caravan.

caravans are for holidays but motorhomes are a way of life and so much more. both enjoyable and each has its merits to suit individuality

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello. We caravanned for 20 years before changing, we dithered for 2-3 years before changing. Loving the MH.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back