bikes on back of van (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
might be a stupid question we were coming back home from sour sons after dropping off the grand children at Ripen camp.
When a Belgian motor home passed with a striped triangle on the bike wrack do we need one of them
BIKE RACK REAR HAZARD WARNING SIGN
bill

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Yes if you are going to france, its a striped rectangle and £12 from ebay

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Should be a square & yes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Never saw them on the dfds ferry last month but we did see a few foreign MHs travelling around without them which led me to think they were rather ignorant of the laws or knew they didn't need one.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I might be wrong, but I thought it wasn't required in France. I know it's required in Spain and Italy (and probably lots of other places).

I'm sure someone will confirm :)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We thought it was Spain too!
Never got stopped anywhere without one, no even in Spain!

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
don't need one for France or Belgium just fund out
In Spain and Italy any overhanging loads must be indicated by a square panel measuring 50cm x 50cm with reflectorised red and white diagonal stripes which can be purchased from Fiamma stockists Panels are available in aluminium and plastic and in Spain you can use either however, in Italy the panel must be aluminium.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Have a nice holiday :Smile:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
this all came abut that granddad needs more exercise so why don't you take your bike:Eeek:
so serviced them including a new kog for the wee mans and a new cycling helmet for me
then contacting the ferry company to change booking thinking this is going to cost me
nope not a penny no problem sir we will just up date your length:clap2:
bill

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
We have one on all the time when we've got bikes on the back, no matter which country. If it makes the back of the van more visible and stops cyclists from riding into the bike rack, or walkers walking into it, then it has to be a good thing and it only takes a moment to put on. Given all the cord used to tie ours on it might even foil a bike thief for a few minutes longer.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We have one on all the time when we've got bikes on the back, no matter which country. If it makes the back of the van more visible and stops cyclists from riding into the bike rack, or walkers walking into it, then it has to be a good thing and it only takes a moment to put on. Given all the cord used to tie ours on it might even foil a bike thief for a few minutes longer.
seems like sound advice thanks (y)

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
bike security
What do funsters do to stop bike theft I have a good bike lock this seems to have worked for us in the uk but in all the time we have motorhome we have never taken bikes to the continent motor bikes yes but push bikes no and certainly not with a energetic eight year old
BILL

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

+Here It needs to be used on the rack when it is not in use as the rack itself is classed as an "over hanging projection" as it is not part of the original specification & even though we have to have them homologated & itemised on the registration documents. It is all a nonsense really.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
bike security
What do funsters do to stop bike theft I have a good bike lock this seems to have worked for us in the uk but in all the time we have motorhome we have never taken bikes to the continent motor bikes yes but push bikes no and certainly not with a energetic eight year old
BILL

We've never had a suspicion of the bikes been tampered with on the back of the van but, last year we locked them up very securely in the compound of the McDonalds at La Linea while we walked into Gib. We parked them either side of a good sized tree and locked them together with a total of 4 good quality bike locks. We also were assured by the Mc Donalds gate gusrd that he would keep an eye on them.

When we got back they were gone- totally. The gate guard had not seen anything.

We reported it to the La Linea police who recovered them next day, and caught the young men who had stolen them. One of the bikes had had the saddle and post removed, both rear carriers were missing and the gear and brake cables were cut through on one of them. Both bikes are fairly aged Raleigh Shoppers and the policeman who recovered them, noticed that the men in question were riding " bikes that did not look Spanish".

We've left our bikes in La Linea before and ridden them into Gib ( where there are v. few places to leave them now that the police are unhappy with them left at the border by the bus stop).

Moral: get English looking bikes ( with Union Jack stickers) and don't leave them beside and international border, however well locked.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Had a cycle stolen overnight in Calais a good chain and strong lock required nothing thin that will cut with croppers .

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
they are ferly old bikes not to worried but do have a alarm we can put on them to
bill

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I depends on how you are carrying the bikes. If you have a towbar mounted carrier with trailer board. I don't think you need them. If however they extend backwards beyond the lights I think you do.

Dick

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
bike security
BILL
Put them in the Garage, if you have one, cover them if you haven't.
You can buy the Fiamma rear reflective boards at caravan shops in Spain and France, the metal ones, bit pricy, can be bought at large hardware shops in Spain.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I've got a lifting eye bolt on the back doors to chain the bikes to as the rack only clips to the doors but I will be fixing the rack better this winter as the edge of the door is starting to bend
Saw an Adrian pvc with a great rack fixes from hinge to hinge but was told it was over 1200 euros

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I depends on how you are carrying the bikes. If you have a towbar mounted carrier with trailer board. I don't think you need them. If however they extend backwards beyond the lights I think you do.

Dick
So if the bikes extend beyond the lights and licence plate, they are required but if they are behind lights and licence plate as in a towbar mounted rack then they are not required.

Does any one have any links to the guildlines? Because if I do not need to bother with it then it is one less thing to bother about.(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
So if the bikes extend beyond the lights and licence plate, they are required but if they are behind lights and licence plate as in a towbar mounted rack then they are not required.

Does any one have any links to the guildlines? Because if I do not need to bother with it then it is one less thing to bother about.(y)

Always used a trailer board on our door mounted Adria rack. Surely you want to be as visible as possible to prevent an artic banging into you..

Now have the best rack going..the swing out Busbiker NL. Fitted a ground anchor and use a quality motorbike chain and lock..

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Always used a trailer board on our door mounted Adria rack. Surely you want to be as visible as possible to prevent an artic banging into you..

Now have the best rack going..the swing out Busbiker NL. Fitted a ground anchor and use a quality motorbike chain and lock..
Yes do want to be visible but, I have a good rack very visible plate and lights and a light coloured bike cover, the bike(s) sits behind the plate and lights. Not convinced that a red and white striped board would make anything more visible than it already is. Also as I understand it the direction of the stripes changes from country to country in the EU, I would want to change my cover (nothing wrong with the one I have) if I had to have a stripey board.

So if I do not need it then will leave it but would like to check the guidlines to make sure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back