To Toll or not to Toll that is the question! (1 Viewer)

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi All

Off to France in about 2 hrs (well Dover tonight and Calais in the morning. Heading down to Caen Area in Normandy tomorrow morning. Tolls will be about 34 Euros on the fastest route. How much slower will it be if we tell the Tom Tom to avoid Tolls? Once we are at Normandy I will probably avoid the tolls but just want to get there tomorrow.

Cheers
Barry:Smile:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi All

Off to France in about 2 hrs (well Dover tonight and Calais in the morning. Heading down to Caen Area in Normandy tomorrow morning. Tolls will be about 34 Euros on the fastest route. How much slower will it be if we tell the Tom Tom to avoid Tolls? Once we are at Normandy I will probably avoid the tolls but just want to get there tomorrow.

Cheers

I have found that sometimes the toll is the cheapest, if the navigator gets you lost or the alternative roads are slow then the fuel cost is greater than the toll cost.

but if the alternative road is good then the they are the cheapest

Doug...

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you want to see France and its villages dont do the toll roads.
If you are just in a hurry use them.
We never use them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi All

Cheers

Dosn't Tom Tom tell you how long it takes?

Do 2 routes one on toll roads and one without that will tell you which is the fastest. :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Dosn't Tom Tom tell you how long it takes?

Do 2 routes one on toll roads and one without that will tell you which is the fastest. :thumb::thumb:

Yes I thought of that. Will get to Calais in the morning and calculate both options. I just thought I would ask as someone might have done the same route. If its all roundabouts and stop start then I will take the toll road.

Thanks for all ther replies, got to go now as need to pack the van and get to Dover!!!!

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Its probably too late as you may have set off now but we arrived back this morning,two weeks and 4,500 kilometers later alps and all over france finnishing in Normandy for the 65 years celebrations for D day dont use toll roads if you want to see the real France what you save on tolls will pay for fuel.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Its probably too late as you may have set off now but we arrived back this morning,two weeks and 4,500 kilometers later alps and all over france finnishing in Normandy for the 65 years celebrations for D day dont use toll roads if you want to see the real France what you save on tolls will pay for fuel.

As you say.. he's gone already .. :roflmto: but to continue the debate, there is no right or wrong .. it all depends on:

a) how fast you want to get to a destination
b) what size motorhome..

I've travelled the length and breadth of France, on and off toll roads.. I much prefer the Autoroutes, it's no fun navigating through small French villages with a 36 ft RV and trailer .. stop/starting at every roundabout, manoeuvring past parked cars with lots of central islands, few places to park up .. so while you do see more of France.. it's a lot more stressful..

On the Autoroute you can relax, plenty of aires to stop for a break, shops at services, etc .. try stopping outside the local boulangers or refuelling with a big rig in a French village.

They are not cheap, an RV is class 3, but what is saved on fuel, stress and inconvenience more than compensates and once on site there is plenty of opportunity to see the real France.. at your leisure, not stressed out.

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We'll be using the French roads at some point this year. Now I know the toll prices for a car and motorbike, but not the MH. Does anyone know how much more they charge, or, if it's under 3.5t is it classsed the same as a car?

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi
We have just come back from Italy and the south of france and used the toll road as they were the fastest way to get to our destination. On the toll roads our RV 7.5 ton and 27ft 4" long was classed as a 2 or B in Italy. as others have said the N roads are ok but are very narrow when passing through villages.
Mick & Sheila

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
to toll or not to toll

Under 3.5t is same as a car, class 2
i`m new to this site and first entry so please excuse me if i am wrong site. Just returned from France tour, Bretange and Normandy small 534 Hymer found autoroute fast but exposed to high winds so foot was stretching throttle cable however N and D roads relaxed and good views of French life, be prepared for cyclist and farm machinery and roundabouts, if travelling at weekends major routes on secondary roads often get blocked with traffic heading for coastal areas,

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi Folks

Thanks for the replies. We arrived at Dover an hour ago. Took an hour to find a Tesco which happens to be 5 miles out of town! Parked on Marine Parade with a few other campers. Im in two minds about tomorrow. Sat Nav says 4hrs 20 from here to Caen and 6hrs 05 avoiding tolls. May test it again on the other side. Might start off on the none toll roads and if its a paid switch. Our van is a Swift Kontiki with the scooter on is around 7.5m I think so its quite a big van but not RV size. I have never driven a RH Drive abroad either so may be best to just go the easiest route until we get used to it. Will decide when we get to Calais I think!

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
hi
Watch out when you get to the pay booth as the operators often try to charge for double axles some dont even have a look or ask you
Wanderer

0zzy

Free Member
Feb 8, 2009
sherborne
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
6 months
55 euros

hi
we took the toll from calais to rems in our burstner 747. 55euros that was the last time we used the tolls in france ££££££££

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Hi We dont use the tolls our van is only 7 mtrs and we like to look round so we do the villages and such like, make your own judgement but have a GREAT time anyway Cheers Rob W

david and ann

Free Member
Jan 3, 2009
Sax Alicante
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years
tolls or not

hola just got back to our house near Alicante after trip to England in our Benimar Europer 6.76m 2.8jtd. in May.
didn't use the tolls going through France at all and after checking fuel consumption wished we had. The French country side and villages are beautiful but I think they have a bloody factory churning out roundabouts. I think I can count on one hand the number of times i actually managed to get into 5th on the n roads. We normally do about 25 mpg but we were down to 20 in France. Mind you I'd forgotten how terrible the English roads are inc. the motorways !!!
Hope you ENJOY however you go.
David :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back