LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Everytime i do the pads i do the fluid. So far twice in 5 years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
We have ours tested once a year at our local garage when in for oil change or service.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We had ours done ( I hope!) at the first service when the van was two years old. It's on the schedule to be done. Not sure if it's every two years after the first change though.
But, I've had cars for years and never changed the brake fluid. It was never recommended as a 2 or 3 year consumable as far as I can remember.
Either brake fluid is not as good as it used to be or someone had a good idea to make more money.....

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
As I understand it brake fluid attracts water which renders it less effective and probably why brake fluid can boil if it has too high water content. Boiled water turns to steam which is going to make the brakes far less capable of exerting hydraulic pressure on the pads to grip the disc brake. So it is worth changing brake fluid to make sure that brakes remain as efficient as they were designed to be. Too high a water content will also rust the pipework etc leading to brake component failure, particularly the brake pipes!

Now having written that here is a better explanation!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
In 53 years of motoring i have never had brake fluid replaced on a vehicle i have owned.Mind you don't rely on brakes very often,,,tend to slow down by going down the box,, a method frowned upon now days.BUSBY.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Changed mine 2 years ago but did have to fit new calipers anyway.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Changed mine this year but that was only because I had to do change rear cylinders and shoes and new discs/pads.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Another money spinner methinks.
Unless you are a heavy brake user, or have an auto box, I wouldn't change mine until the 5 year point. Just my opinion.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Brake fluid should definitely be changed every 2 years , regardless of vehicle, unless it does not have hydraulic brakes.

Long time ago when i drove a vehicle with rod brakes...BUSBY.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hmmm, money spinner? or life saver? You decide!

Brake fluid is hygroscopic (yes with a G not a D) which means it draws water out of the air. The water is heavier than the brake fluid so gradually sinks to the lowest part of the braking system which happens to be the wheel cylinders and calliper cylinders. Brakes work by converting kinetic energy (the energy of motion) into heat via friction, this all takes place as you might have realised at the pad/disc, shoe/drum interface which is very close to the cylinders and callipers. Water has a much lower boiling point than brake fluid and so it follows that a lot of heat generated in the brakes may cause it to boil (the larger the vehicle the more energy there is to be converted and therefore the more heat is generated), if the water boils it turns to steam which is vaporous in form and therefore compressible. A compressible medium in the hydraulics causes a spongy pedal. If you encounter a spongy pedal on an extended downhill run (think Pyrenees(sp?) perhaps on way to Spain for Winter) you will naturally press harder on the pedal putting more force into the brakes and generating even more heat which in turn boils more water and creates more steam and an even soggier pedal. Eventually you run out of brakes and I happen to think a 3.5 tonne (or bigger) motorhome is a bit too big to have crap brakes. Engine problems mean it won't go very well, brake problems mean it won't stop very well............................

Its what I often refer to as the Dirty Harry question....How lucky do you feel?

D.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
The above hapened to me when doing the Pyrenees in a K reg Land rover Discovery we were doing the smugglers route down into Andora, miles of downhill dabbing the brakes low gear but brakes fading not a nice experience, after that changed the fluid by each wheel cylinder.
also when I got to the bottom of the hill drove on brakes cooled pedal back to normal as tho nothing had happened.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
dot5 fit and forget(to some degree)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
On all my vehicles I replace the brake fluid every 2 years, might be overkill, but I'd rather that than not being able to stop. Plus I find it disturbingly therapeutic to work on vehicles! :D

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Hmmm, money spinner? or life saver? You decide!

Brake fluid is hygroscopic (yes with a G not a D) which means it draws water out of the air. The water is heavier than the brake fluid so gradually sinks to the lowest part of the braking system which happens to be the wheel cylinders and calliper cylinders. Brakes work by converting kinetic energy (the energy of motion) into heat via friction, this all takes place as you might have realised at the pad/disc, shoe/drum interface which is very close to the cylinders and callipers. Water has a much lower boiling point than brake fluid and so it follows that a lot of heat generated in the brakes may cause it to boil (the larger the vehicle the more energy there is to be converted and therefore the more heat is generated), if the water boils it turns to steam which is vaporous in form and therefore compressible. A compressible medium in the hydraulics causes a spongy pedal. If you encounter a spongy pedal on an extended downhill run (think Pyrenees(sp?) perhaps on way to Spain for Winter) you will naturally press harder on the pedal putting more force into the brakes and generating even more heat which in turn boils more water and creates more steam and an even soggier pedal. Eventually you run out of brakes and I happen to think a 3.5 tonne (or bigger) motorhome is a bit too big to have crap brakes. Engine problems mean it won't go very well, brake problems mean it won't stop very well............................

Its what I often refer to as the Dirty Harry question....How lucky do you feel?

D.
As a complete numpty and may I say never having a problem with "brake fluid" perse. I thought brake systems were sealed, so where does the water come from?
Having said that I always change the fluid in my bike every 2 years cos I'm not prepared to take risk being such a numpty.(y)

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Most people learn about the importance of changing the brake fluid AFTER scaring themselves silly due to brake fade.
Due to the nature of the fluid being hygroscopic, it is only when you REALLY need them to work properly that you find out they can't.
The moisture gets in through the breather in the cap and as it sinks through the system to the calipers you never can see anything wrong with the fluid.
Usually an easy half hour job and the last service I paid for ( to keep the warranty) it was £38 extra.
As everything else, the 2 year recommendations are well before issues would be likely to show but either way I would never go above 4 years.

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
I have nothing to suggest mine has ever been changed since new........certainly not been done in last 9 years .....needless to say brake service and fluid change is on "the list" :)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Brake fluid is cheap and you don't need a huge amount of it. If you check Google the cost to have changed by a garage is variable but probably less than £100 split over 2 or 3 years so its not expensive for peace of mind.

It is something a competent DIY'er can do provided that you don't get air in the system and you bleed any air out. I used to do it in my youth but that was with less sophisticated and much lighter vehicles and I will get my garage to do it as and when required!

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Just had the Hymer and the Talbot done, 28 quid each at National Autocentres, as I have no idea when they last had it changed.

Better safe than sorry.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The mater cylinder reservoir is vented to atmosphere, it has to be as a sealed system would create a vacuum as the braking material wears away.

D.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Brake fade and spongy pedal are different issues, although both are thoroughly alarming!

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
To give you an idea of the heat generated if you have one of those digital thermometers that you point at heat sources try pointing it through the holes of your front wheel when you get to the bottom of a mountain pass you will be astonished at the reading even if using the gears and dab breaking effects.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back