GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We have just changed our MH to an Adria Vision i707SG. Very happy with it so far (although that is only on the drive!).

It has better storage than our last one so we were hoping to get a small tassimo coffee machine (I love my one at home). We would only be using this on EHU.

It says its output is 1300W. Will we need an inverter? if so, what size and type as I have no clue about these things.

Thanks in advance

Jen

May 6, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1980
If you are using hookup, you will have 240v to use the coffee machine, you will only require an inverter if you are not on hook up.
John

OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
If you are using hookup, you will have 240v to use the coffee machine, you will only require an inverter if you are not on hook up.
John
Thanks. For the odd occasions we are not on hookup I can slum it with the kettle then!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks. For the odd occasions we are not on hookup I can slum it with the kettle then!

Off grid.... no need to slum it...

we use this , Moka express Italian espresso coffee machine.. they come in several sizes ..
makes fabulous espresso..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

upload_2015-10-22_10-40-30.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We have just changed our MH to an Adria Vision i707SG. Very happy with it so far (although that is only on the drive!).

It has better storage than our last one so we were hoping to get a small tassimo coffee machine (I love my one at home). We would only be using this on EHU.

It says its output is 1300W. Will we need an inverter? if so, what size and type as I have no clue about these things.

Thanks in advance

Jen

1300w is a massive load on your battery's (about 100A at 12V) all the time its switched on.
A 240v telly/fridge takes about 8A.
Although I do love inverters I would not recommend any appliance with an heating element to be run by an inverter unless you have huge battery's.
Save it for when you are on EHU

OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
1300w is a massive load on your battery's (about 100A at 12V) all the time its switched on.
Although I do love inverters I would not recommend any appliance with an heating element to be run by an inverter unless you have huge battery's.
I did actually say we would only be using it on EHU in my original post!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

The big load is only there when the machine is heating up which is only seconds, 200ah of decent batteries is OK and a bit of solar puts it back.

Martin

OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
indeed you did .. but you threw a curved ball with the thread title..

"Do I need an inverter "
And that was the question - I didn't know if I needed an inverter if on EHU or not!

To be fair I did say I didn't have a clue! @Jonned ticked all the boxes with his response!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just in case anybody reading this is confused, an inverter makes 240 volts AC from your 12 volts DC battery, to do this it uses a lot of amps from you battery typically about 20 times the amps that the equipment needs when plugged into 240 volts, so a 1300 watt coffee machine needs about 6 amps so that's about 120 amps from your 12 volt battery, if you have a useable capacity of 100 ah (200 ah of battery bank as you should not go down lower than 50%) then you could not run the coffee machine for an hour, but the important bit is that you would not need to as it takes only seconds to use a Nespresso or Tassimo machine so only a little bit out of you batteries typically 2 minutes would take 6 ah which is nothing.

Sorry if this is common knowledge to everybody reading this, but just thought it might help somebody.

Martin

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
... 120 amps from your 12 volt battery, if you have a useable capacity of 100 ah (200 ah of battery bank as you should not go down lower than 50%) then you could not run the coffee machine for an hour

Not quite true...

Battery discharge was discussed on another thread recently, and the discharge rate is significantly higher at higher currents, have a look at the chart I linked to here:-

Broken Link Removed

At those sort of loads you would be looking at about fifteen to eighteen minutes to drain healthy and fully charged batteries below fifty percent.

Agreed that a few seconds is do-able, but, forewarned is forearmed, and Iwhilst do let the mem-sahib use a 1000w hairdrier for short blasts, I wouldn't want anything that runs for more than a minute or two running off my leisure batteries at that draw.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I did actually say we would only be using it on EHU in my original post!

But the Golden Rule of FUN is to read only one line. You put that vital bit on line 4.

I can write anything here and it is completely invisible to the myopic FUNsters with the attention span of a tired geriatric goldfish. And take all technical answers with a pinch of salt, there are people on FUN who write 20A when really they should be writing 19.8724A, they just don't care.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Off grid.... no need to slum it...

we use this , Moka express Italian espresso coffee machine.. they come in several sizes ..
makes fabulous espresso..

I find this is easily the best way to make good coffee, both at home and in the van. I'm not one for 'frothy' stuff, though. So if you like the ones with a frothy head, you may need a machine.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013

Thanks in advance

Jen
We take our Tassimo with us and use it when on EHU, no inverter required. I use a cafetier, with Costa coffee, when not on EHU.
Chris

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
The big load is only there when the machine is heating up which is only seconds, 200ah of decent batteries is OK and a bit of solar puts it back.

Martin

'Seconds' too heat the water seems pretty rapid. I wish my 3Kw kettle would do it that quick.
I would not like to subject my 200ah battery's to 100A for 60 seconds .

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
'Seconds' too heat the water seems pretty rapid. I wish my 3Kw kettle would do it that quick.

Thats because it not heating a kettle full, you only get a small coffee from a Nespresso machine.

We only have two 80ah Gel batteries and they are fine with the inverter running the usual 240 volt toys, hair dryer, microwave, coffee machine etc etc.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not quite true...

Battery discharge was discussed on another thread recently, and the discharge rate is significantly higher at higher currents, have a look at the chart I linked to here:-

Broken Link Removed

At those sort of loads you would be looking at about fifteen to eighteen minutes to drain healthy and fully charged batteries below fifty percent.

Agreed that a few seconds is do-able, but, forewarned is forearmed, and Iwhilst do let the mem-sahib use a 1000w hairdrier for short blasts, I wouldn't want anything that runs for more than a minute or two running off my leisure batteries at that draw.

But thats terminal voltage vs discharge time and the load will not be on long enough to pull the terminal voltage that low so they will recover when the load is removed, you only take from the batteries the amps that are used.

Martin

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I find this is easily the best way to make good coffee, both at home and in the van. I'm not one for 'frothy' stuff, though. So if you like the ones with a frothy head, you may need a machine.
We make all kinds of coffee with our stove top pot and with a milk frother, the world of cappuccinos and lattes is at our feet.

Amazon product ASIN B0001IXA4Y

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
But thats terminal voltage vs discharge time and the load will not be on long enough to pull the terminal voltage that low so they will recover when the load is removed, you only take from the batteries the amps that are used.

Martin

Terminal voltage as a measure of SoC, but, yes, very short bursts will be ok, but these should typically be less than 30-60 seconds imho.

The battery's actual capacity in amp-hours is quoted at a certain discharge rate, so the 200AH example quoted above will be given at a discharge rate which suits the battery, typically very low. At significantly higher discharge rates, the capacity is much lower depending on something called the Peukert's number for the battery which depends on how the battery is put together, but typically a system with capacity 200AH with 1 amp draw might easily be only around 80AH with 100 amp draw.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
It would not do any real harm if used in at half battery capacity. If you think that the hab battery is about 75ah yet the starting current is about 350A. It is prolonged high current draw that causes the damage because the voltage drops and therefore the current rises even more.
Obviously leisure batteries are not designed for high current usage, using inverters at full power and connected to leisure batteries at their limit is not a good idea, but if the Ah rating is well above the maximum current draw, all should be ok.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back