Gloucester Docks (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
we would like to visit the antique centres around Gloucester Docks.

Does anyone have any info regarding parking for a 7m+ M/H within easy walking distance as my wife has some mobility problems?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I have a sneaky feeling that you can park on the dock itself. Try phoning The Waterways Trust on 01452 318008/318047

Tell them you wish to visit the dock and the museum, and about your wife's mobility problems. (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The car park you need is probably Broken Link Removed as the Gloucester Quays car park is multi storey. There are no height restrictions but there are no facilities for parking motorhomes in the normal course of events. You can park at Westgate as detailed Broken Link Removed but that may be too far for you I suppose.

It would be worth contacting Gloucester City Council (details Broken Link Removed) for advice as they may be able to make special provision given your circumstances.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@GJH
Many thanks for the link.(y)

I have e-mailed Gloucester City Council with a request for help parking.

If I get a response I will copy here for information.

Reactions: GJH

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Good luck with your parking. We gave up after visiting what seemed like every car park in town to be met with height barriers all round.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Wasn't there a major fire at the docks recently?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Westgate is probably the best and about a 10 minutes walk to the docks also easy to get to as it at the entrance to town.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Good luck with your parking. We gave up after visiting what seemed like every car park in town to be met with height barriers all round.
For anyone who doesn't have mobility problems the recommendation is to use the Park & Ride. The only city car park available for motorhome parking normally is Westgate.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I attach the response from Gloucester City Council.

It appears that they are Motorhome friendly so we will visit in the very near future. I hope this helps other Forum Members.

Thank you for contacting Gloucester Tourist Information Centre with regards to your visit to our city. It’s fantastic to hear you’re visiting Gloucester and I hope you have a wonderful trip.

With regards to your motor home, you are able to park in Barbican Way car park which is located about 300 metres from Gloucester Docks and is approximately a 5 minute walk. It is also about 300 metres away from Gloucester Cathedral so an ideal spot for you and your wife to explore our historic city.

The bays in Barbican Car Park are currently not marked out so you will need to pay for one ticket as any other vehicle would and park where the motor home will not be causing an obstruction or disabling cars from being able to manoeuvre around the car park. Provided this regulation is followed, you will be able to park in Barbican Way Car Park Broken Link Removedbefore the height barrier is brought down and locked for the evening. If during this time, the bays have been marked out, you will need to pay for as many tickets as spaces the motor home uses. For example, if it lies over two spaces you will need to purchase two tickets. Although Barbican Way is situated a very short walk from the Docks, it does require walking up an inclined entrance and exit as there is a ramp leading in and out of the car park.

The Docks itself is a fantastic area and will provide you with plenty of opportunities for lunch, coffee and an all round wonderful day in Gloucester. There are two museums located at Gloucester Docks; Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum and the Waterways Museum. Both are very informative and worth visiting should you be interested, however, the Waterways Museum is closing at the end of October for refurbishment and will not reopen again until summer 2016. I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause to your visit. Should you visit before this time and wish to see all four museums Gloucester has to offer, including the City Museum and Folk Museum located in the city centre, you can purchase a Museums Pass. A Museums Pass costs £10.00 per adult and will allow unlimited entry into all of the museums for a whole year! This can be purchased from our shop on Southgate Street which lies in between Gloucester Docks and the city centre itself.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I should have said that I have replied to GCC thanking them for an "enlightened" attitude towards Motorhomes and informing them that I would circulate their response to Members.

Credit where it is due!(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back