FirePal - New Light, Small But Powerful Fire Extinguisher (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
New product at the recent NEC Show was FirePal fire extinguishers (not connected to TyrePal or Pinpointpal!) about the size of a hand torch that work as well as a really big one (although 70-80% smaller) so we bought two as lighter & will free up space in our compact motorhome.:) Very kindly, FirePal also donated one fire extinguisher to Motorhome Fun members so that will be a great raffle prize for charity at the first big MHF rally that we attend next year (y)Available to buy online here http://www.homeandgarden.co.uk/Firepal_portable_light_weight_fire_extin_1467511.html & being rolled out to more stockists soon at the same price.
Also spotted a competition to win a free one here http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/competitions/32308-win-a-compact-firepal-fire-extinguisher but be quick as entry ends tonight.
download (6).jpg

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
been trying to find out a little more about this product and not got very far...
im sure others make more headway...
its described as non pressurised , but also as an aerosol type extinguisher, I don't get that???
cant find out what the extinguishing medium is.. it looks like one of the halogenated hydrocarbon types like the BCF or CBM but I thought they were banned here now..
some impressive video of fires been extinguished , but I cant find out much more...
anyone else had a look and any views..??
ta andy

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I read this.

PFE SERIES model adopts double canisters structure able to withstand up to 2,0 Mpa pressure. Silicon rubber acts as pressure absorber and insulation during operation. Special coolant further reduces operation temperatures and filtrations. Anti-explosion & pressure relief design, pressure released from the discharge end side as further safety feature.

Looks like a Chinese description to me.

And it told me nothing at a all. BCF was very good but banned you are right @andy63

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Forgot to mention that FirePal is suitable for all fires & approved by the NCC (y)
Have attached a couple of videos to show how well safe it is to use & how well it works

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I read this.

PFE SERIES model adopts double canisters structure able to withstand up to 2,0 Mpa pressure. Silicon rubber acts as pressure absorber and insulation during operation. Special coolant further reduces operation temperatures and filtrations. Anti-explosion & pressure relief design, pressure released from the discharge end side as further safety feature.

Looks like a Chinese description to me.

And it told me nothing at a all. BCF was very good but banned you are right @andy63

Martin
hi martin I read that too ,,and sounded like a load of mumbo ,jumbo...combined with the lack of any further information, lets say made me a bit sceptical lol....
ta andy

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
While we are on fire extinguishers it's always worth reminding people that if they have a dry powder extinguisher it should be taken from its cradle every now and again and inverted to loosen the powder, "says he who has not done it to his".

Will put it on my list of jobs.

Martin

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
This is the review of FirePal by Practical Motorhome magazine so not "mumbo, jumbo" !
"Here at Practical Motorhome, we want you to have the best holidays in your dream destinations, but also to keep safe when touring. So we've teamed up with FirePal to do just that.
FirePal has launched a range of compact fire extinguishers that are the perfect size for motorcaravanners and we have three of them up for grabs, worth £40 each.
When we say compact, how small do we mean? These lightweight units are up to 80% smaller than standard fire extinguishers, plus they are B-, C-, E- and F-rated for use on all types of fires, including electrical and liquid fuel. This is ideal when touring, as you can use it to tackle a range of fires without needing to carry a collection of fire extinguishers in your 'van. These clever extinguishers are non-pressurised and leave no messy residue. They also won't damage electronics or engines when used.
There are three units available in this range from FirePal: the FP50 (24 pieces per carton), the FP100 (18 pieces per carton) and the FP150 (10 pieces per carton). This new generation of portable fire extinguisher weighs merely 500g, freeing up your habitation space, and they require no maintenance. In addition, it's good to know that all the products in the FirePal range of fire extinguishers are environmentally friendly, due to the non toxic materials used.
So how does the product we're giving you the chance to win, the FP50, work? Using new nano technology, on the press of the safety button a mist is discharged, fighting the fire. And the fact that it is light, means people of all ages can use it with ease.
These are ideal extinguishers to use in motorhomes because other than the fire itself, they limit the damage caused to your 'van. And the use of non hazardous materials means there is no damage caused by clearing up powder or water, allowing you to continue your holiday, and meaning you won't have any additional, costly repairs.
The mist is able to penetrate a fire through the vents for the fridge and heater, stopping many electrical fires progressing and potentially 'taking hold' of your unit. These devices are also safe to use on car engines with no after effect on the engine air inlet, or remaining electrical systems – using some other extinguishers can write off the engine.
The FP50 fire extinguisher has been approved by RINA, SGS, Bureau Veritas and CE, and comes with a five-year warranty." Oh & it's approved by the NCC :)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Got to be either BCF, Halon, or Co2.

BCF to my mind was the top banana at putting out all sources of fire quickly, even petrol.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This is the review of FirePal by Practical Motorhome magazine so not "mumbo, jumbo" !
Still dosent tell you the fire control medium they contain.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Think that might be a trade secret...
OK, but I would still want to know before I bought one. Surely they are providing a risk assessment sheet with this product?? o_O

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Forgot to mention that FirePal is suitable for all fires & approved by the NCC (y)
/QUOTE]

That's marketing. Since when were the NCC an approved body to have an opinion on fire protection.

"Suitable for all fires" is a marketing slogan. I can only assume they didn't think anyone who knows anything about the subject would ever question them

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
EDIT: No longer accurate or relevant

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
can't view.. Private Video

do you have a link to a public video
Should work now - couldn't upload the videos to Fun in the format that our contact in FirePal emailed to us so uploaded to Youtube & not experts at that yet!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
That answers most of the questions I think.

The most important one: What extinguishing medium is used? Answer: It's foam.

Therefore @Wombles I'm very sorry but it is in no way suitable for "all fires"
I think not. The unit is far too small to generate foam.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think not. The unit is far too small to generate foam.

Probably right. The risk assessment was for a different product wasn't it.

I'm still concerned that they don't seem to say they meet any of the relevant British Standards.

NCC approval for something like this carries about as much weight as approval from me!

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Think that the foam spray product is a totally different product as FirePal one is not foam - see the video.
Perhaps that's what is causing all the confusion. The info. & videos that I have posted are correct but don't know about the details posted by others.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Should work now - couldn't upload the videos to Fun in the format that our contact in FirePal emailed to us so uploaded to Youtube & not experts at that yet!
Just watched the vid. Looks like Co2 under great pressure. If so, it's a winner. They must have found a way to stop you burning your hand on the case when the gas is produced. Even then, the guy in the first vid is shaking his hand at the end.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
All fire fighting equipment should have a BS number

for example:

Portable Fire Extinguishers
BS EN 3-10:2009

Broken Link Removed
I've searched the FirePal site and can't see any reference to a British Standard .. if this is a pucka bit of kit it would have been submitted for testing and approval..

for that reason.. I wouldn't touch it

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Well I still can't find anything on the extinguishing medium ... They say non pressurised which indicates it must generate it's own pressure perhaps chemically when activated... I suspect generating co2 or some other inert gas... just guesses.
Ta andy

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
When being given one of them boring health and safety lectures was told the best use for a fire extinguisher is to smash a window to escape the fire. Everything is insured so just get out.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
its not BCF as the oriental guy inhales it as he walks behind the mattress fire, [don't try it at home]
When its 'activated' it takes a moment to gain full flow , so my guess is its a chemical reaction producing a extingushing agent, perhaps co2 or similar
but I agree it needs a british standard to have any chance of been taken seriously [insurance?]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back