Battery Master - wiring gauge (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I'm no auto electrician but I successfully fitted a BM to my previous van. When I sold the van I removed the BM but left the wiring in place.
I now want to fit it to my latest van but can't remember/don't know, what gauge wiring I should use.

EVB, or any other knowledgable person, please advise.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Put it right next to your split charge relay or similar and then the wires sticking out of it will be long enough and won't need extending so you won't have to worry about what size to use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Yep, as above remember the longer the run the higher the resistance so the wire goes up in diameter to compensate. :)

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Yep, as above remember the longer the run the higher the resistance so the wire goes up in diameter to compensate. :)

Well the run will be about 4M so will that need a heavier gauge than that recommended by GG?

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Nearly there.

After some grazed knuckles and dismantling most of my camper, I now have the wiring routed from engine compartment to BM to leisure battery.
Just done a quick connect and all seems to be working fine.
Just one question - should a BM light be showing all the time regardless of ignition on/off, charger switched on/off?

I told you I was no auto electrician!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Yes the light will work all the time. Green to say all ok and red to tell you its charging

If you mount it at the split charge relay you wont have to add anything. It has internal fuses which automatically reset and it is waterproof so you can mount it in the engine bay if you need to. Autotrails and Swifts up to about 2010 had the relays and fuses cable tied to the speedo cable next to the engine battery for example

You Kindly gave my best Scottish chum Bobbi a ticket for the South African game, thank you. If you need a Battery Master fitting kit let me know and I send you one FOC

Thanks

Eddie

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Yes the light will work all the time. Green to say all ok and red to tell you its charging

If you mount it at the split charge relay you wont have to add anything. It has internal fuses which automatically reset and it is waterproof so you can mount it in the engine bay if you need to. Autotrails and Swifts up to about 2010 had the relays and fuses cable tied to the speedo cable next to the engine battery for example
You Kindly gave my best Scottish chum Bobbi a ticket for the South African game, thank you. If you need a Battery Master fitting kit let me know and I send you one FOC
Thanks
Eddie

Thanks Eddie

I fitted this BM to 2 previous campers but just couldn't remember whether the light stayed on or not - now I know.
So, it's now fitted and working on my Devon Sunrise (Toyota Powervan Hi Ace).

Thanks for the offer but looks like I've cracked the fitting myself.
Glad the rugby ticket got used - would have been a crime to bin it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back