Mclouis vans - are they warm? (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Thinking of changing for a different layout and we've seen a couple of Mclouis vans we like. Any comments on these? It would be newish but not brand new.
In particular our Swift is very drafty. How do the Mclouis perform for the chill factor, not skiing in the alps, but UK winter and cooler months in western Europe?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Our first MH was a McLouis Lagan 2004. The gas fire kept it nice n cosy. Don't know about in the depths of winter as we changed it after only 6 months for a different layout MH.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Any van will be 'warm' with heating on.. it is the level of insulation that determines the amount of gas used to keep it 'warm'.

No personal knowledge or experience of the McLouis and not many owners on here, but you see plenty abroad..

There should be no draughts in a van.. except perhaps in the cab area.. badly fitted cab doors or seals requiring replacing... or heater vents left open .. common to all coach builds and panel vans.. ..
The fridge has vents but it should be sealed around the sides.. if not it may let flue gasses into the accommodation.

What you need to ask or look for is whether it is winterised or not.. ie.. are all the water pipes inside the van, is the fresh water tank inside or under slung.. is the grey waste tank insulated.. etc.. has it a double floor..

Have a look underneath.. if you see exposed waste or fresh water pipes or tanks without insulation.. they will freeze as soon as it drops below zero.
My Hymer has a double floor, grey tanks are fitted in the void, together with all water and waste pipes..there is also a warm air supply for extreme low temperatures.. the grey waste valve is next to the tank and discharge pipe is sloping down, so no water trap to freeze. A frozen waste pipe is just as inconvenient as a frozen water supply.

In times past I've had water and waste pipes freeze in caravans that weren't suitable for UK winters.. let alone going to the Alps..

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2010
trawden lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have a Mclouis Lagan 263 it gets very warm have had no problem in the depth of winter used it all year.
It is at present for sale.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
What model Swift do you have and where does the draft come in?

@St piran 2010 Sundance 620FB, I've read lots of threads about draft issues. Mainly cab which is much improved with external screens. We've also made insulated pads to go in the skylights at night, they seem to help.

There's a vent in the hab footwell which was blowing a gale so that's been taped up. It's much better than it was.

It's not a winterised van and I do feel the cold more than Brian so it's an important consideration.

Karen

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Not sure but I always assumed it was just in case of a gas leak as it is the lowest point. That's why I would not block it off completely.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back