LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2015
Shetland
Funster No
MH
Baileys 745
Exp
Since 2015
Hi, looking to spend the winter in MH down on the South coast of Spain, any suggestions on a route from the south coast of England through France and then Spain? Any recommendations on campsites to stay when we get there? Many thanks.

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Hi Stevie,

There are lots of routes through France/Spain discussed on this site (search Threads and Resources Section) and places to stay en route are also suggested.

We favour the western route through France paying tolls to Abbeville, around Tours/Poitiers and, of course south of Bordeaux (where it can be madness to try non-tolled routes), and then C121A, Teruel/Valencia/Murcia/Almeria mostly non-tolled dual carriageways) route through Spain.

To stay at campsites as economically as possible, join ACSI Discount Camping Club before you go. Vicarious Books will be issuing 2016 directories membership cards in early December and will post them out to a Spanish address if required.

Also take French and Spanish Aires Books also available from Vicarious Books. They will save a fortune and may take you to some great places.

Once there, staying within the 20mile coastal strip will get you the best weather, all the way from Valencia to Lisbon. However, many of the nicer environments are not directly on the coasts.

Norman

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
These two links will help you with your routes. The N10 route through France is very popular. No need to stop at campsites, plenty of Aires/overnight stops on way down. Suggest you use the recommended combination of some tolls to save on overall costs and time. It's all in the link.
Safe travels.
http://about-france.com/travel.htm
http://about-spain.net/travel/map.htm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I thought I would mention that the area of Murcia (Benidorm area) in Spain is regarded as the best place to overwinter. This is because the Murcia mountains hold back the rain and keep the area quite dry. Also, as you move further south it does not get that much warmer but it does start to get wetter due to the Atlantic weather systems coming in from the.........Atlantic.
Many funsters overwinter in the benidorm area, there are some great campsites with long term deals and good transport links up and down the coast. As for Benidorm in the winter, well it's simple fantastic. cheap, plenty of entertainment, great beach and lot's of like minded brits enjoying the sun.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We spent January & February in Spain (mainly) a couple of years ago. We largely followed YJ55NXC's routes and quite agree with his comments. The weather was foul in January and we rushed through France and N Spain to beat the rain. We spent quite a lot on tolls but much quicker.
At Zaragoza the weather suddenly improved, we stayed at the municipal site. Agree again with the comments re Murcia. It was windy but mainly dry for several weeks. We spent some time touring rather than months on a site which is the popular pattern. There seemed to be a range of "commercial aires" which were very good and sometimes very popular. They had limited parking like standard aires but often campsite like facilities. And they were more expensive. On the whole, all good sites & easy driving. We didn't think we'd like the big sites but they were fine.
On our way back we stayed nearer the coast, crossed into France in the south and travelled up past Carcasson etc.
Altogether a great tour which we'll certainly repeat when circumstances allow.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
the area of Murcia (Benidorm area) in Spain is regarded as the best place to overwinter.

not by everyone.. and certainly not by us .. Benidorm is not what everyone is looking for.. but it is no doubt popular..

the weather further south around Almeria is just as dry and perhaps even warmer.. Tabarnas in the mountains behind Almeria is where some of the spaghetti westerns were shot.. sunniest, driest place in Spain..

we overwintered at Roquetas camping.. it's a mixed site.. popular with Dutch and Germans .

Last edited:

GWG

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C. Bessacarr 496
Exp
2 years (40 years Caravan)
Hi Stevie,

There are lots of routes through France/Spain discussed on this site (search Threads and Resources Section) and places to stay en route are also suggested.

We favour the western route through France paying tolls to Abbeville, around Tours/Poitiers and, of course south of Bordeaux (where it can be madness to try non-tolled routes), and then C121A, Teruel/Valencia/Murcia/Almeria mostly non-tolled dual carriageways) route through Spain.

To stay at campsites as economically as possible, join ACSI Discount Camping Club before you go. Vicarious Books will be issuing 2016 directories membership cards in early December and will post them out to a Spanish address if required.

Also take French and Spanish Aires Books also available from Vicarious Books. They will save a fortune and may take you to some great places.

Once there, staying within the 20mile coastal strip will get you the best weather, all the way from Valencia to Lisbon. However, many of the nicer environments are not directly on the coasts.

Norman
Please elaborate ! Why would it be "Madness" to go Non-tolled routes south of Bordeaux. . Please

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
South of Bordeaux is rarely a problem unless you try taking some of the high passes across the Pyreneese. I always set my Satnav to avoid toll roads but if you are in a hurry or the whole country is under snow then the Autoroutes can make sense.
Pamploma.... Zaragoza.... Valencia is the most common route and is free.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Please elaborate ! Why would it be "Madness" to go Non-tolled routes south of Bordeaux. . Please
Looking at the map you can go D1010/D834/D824 to avoid the toll motorway but I suspect so do x million trucks heading for Spain.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I use most of the A63 from bordeaux without having to pay the tolls. On the way down, exit at Jct 18 and rejoin at 17 saving around €11-12. (the detour is straight forward and takes about 1/2 hour. I exit again at Castets and overnight at Saint Geours De Maremne (no toll fare paid yet) I then take the D810 and join the A63 near the bottom and pay a couple of euros at each toll booth before crossing the boarder and taking the N121-a to Pamplona. In total, I pay about 5-6 Euros. The very bottom part of the A63 is worth paying, going of the motorway is simple not worth the hassle.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Because sometimes there is no fast N road alterative... Your money your choice!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
This year, returning from Portugal in April we came into France between San-Sebastian - Saint Jean De Luz using non toll roads. We chose non toll roads because it was a Sunday and thought we would sail through. It was a nightmare, just too much traffic and all going at a snails pace, cyclist, Motorhomes, cars, locals going shopping etc. It took us a very long time to travel a few K's and we learnt our lesson. If we had used the peage we would have completed that section in minutes. Travelling in either direction on week days is the same, the roads are stuffed with traffic. I guess that's why all the guides recommend using the A63 at the bottom end simply to avoid heavy. slow traffic.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
This year, returning from Portugal in April we came into France between San-Sebastian - Saint Jean De Luz using non toll roads. We chose non toll roads because it was a Sunday and thought we would sail through. It was a nightmare, just too much traffic and all going at a snails pace, cyclist, Motorhomes, cars, locals going shopping etc. It took us a very long time to travel a few K's and we learnt our lesson. If we had used the peage we would have completed that section in minutes. Travelling in either direction on week days is the same, the roads are stuffed with traffic. I guess that's why all the guides recommend using the A63 at the bottom end simply to avoid heavy. slow traffic.

Yes I tried that route, NEVER again. I was on my way to Corby.:)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
not by everyone.. and certainly not by us .. Benidorm is not what everyone is looking for.. but it is no doubt popular..

the weather further south around Almeria is just as dry and perhaps even warmer.. Tabarnas in the mountains behind Almeria is where some of the spaghetti westerns were shot.. sunniest, driest place in Spain..

we overwintered at Roquetas camping.. it's a mixed site.. popular with Dutch and Germans .

Agreed - we have never tried Benidorm, we tour the coast from Murcia to the Algarve but really like the area around Almeria - we always spend some time at Camping Cabo de Gata - excellent site in a desert like area but walking/cycling distance of miles of deserted beach and a lovely small town with shops, bars and restaurants :)

We intend to try Roquetas in February 2016

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Looking at the map you can go D1010/D834/D824 to avoid the toll motorway but I suspect so do x million trucks heading for Spain.

Actually the law in France regarding HGVs has been changed and if there is a nearby autoroute, even if it is a toll, HGVs MUST - alright are supposed to - use it (unless of course they are proceeding directly to their destination). As such many of the non-toll roads in France have become quieter apropos HGVs.

Unfortunately the D1010/D834?D824 route, though relatively free from the heavies, is almost always a nightmare and take it from me, who has done it a few times "because we're not in a rush" the cost to use the toll autoroute is peanuts compared to the aggro.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I use most of the A63 from bordeaux without having to pay the tolls. On the way down, exit at Jct 18 and rejoin at 17 saving around €11-12. (the detour is straight forward and takes about 1/2 hour. I exit again at Castets and overnight at Saint Geours De Maremne (no toll fare paid yet) I then take the D810 and join the A63 near the bottom and pay a couple of euros at each toll booth before crossing the boarder and taking the N121-a to Pamplona. In total, I pay about 5-6 Euros. The very bottom part of the A63 is worth paying, going of the motorway is simple not worth the hassle.
Thats a saving of about £8.50p,,,not really going to change your life is it. BUSBY:):):)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Very few tolls:- Exit Calais N1 to Abeville A28 N28 D18 (Rouen) D18(E?) to A13, A154/N154. (Nonancourt) D828 to pick up N154 nr Drew. Round Chatres (D905) exit on to N10 (D12). N10 to Tours. Stay on N10 (Parallels A10 Toll) Round Poitier. Pick up N10 (South) again to Angouleme Take E606. At Salignac Use A10 (Becomes A603 a63 South west of Bordeaux ) Exit onto E5. Until St Geourre de Marmne. At which point choice to stay on a63 and use toll to the Spanish Border. OR as we did Go to Urgun and camp over (La Roulette).

Spanish Route:- You can use N10 N121 The old (pretty?!) way. Head for Palmlona, Zaragoza and to Valencia. OR Take E5 to Vittoria (alt A15) A1 to Burgos E5 then to Madrid. Our choice after Madrid was A3 - A31 to Albacete and the A30 into Murcia. The E5 Will take you to Granada from Madrid.

Most People who do it have their Favourites. But I calculated that in 2007 I saved well over £100-00 In tolls which is a lot of Diesel Even at 13mpg! AND I was never in a Hurry anyway.

BTW. In Spain (was) many Tolls where Cheaper for Truck`s and My R-V used to be Tolled as a Truck Most times!!. Really used to P off my mate in his Euro!

Pete

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thats a saving of about £8.50p,,,not really going to change your life is it. BUSBY:):):)
Depends on how you want to look at it I suppose. My total toll fare last year from Calais to Algecerias using this route (and the N10 route in France) came to €16.00 That was 2.5 at Abbeville, 3.1 at Rouen (A13), 1.8 at Tours and the remainder on the A63. (8.7). The toll fare for the A63 from Bordeaux to Irun is €21.90 so I saved €13.2. However, when you look at the bigger picture and apply this for the whole journey in both directions then the saving is massive around €248.0
For me it's a no brainer. However, each and every one to their own.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back