WiFi Repeater / USB Aerial Bargain (1 Viewer)

Shaggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
dorset
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 700 LEG
Exp
I'm a newbie!
Searched for this item for a long time, but could only find 'Ac-dc-tv' supplying kit for around £149. This site supplies the same kit for £77. The aerial is slightly different, but even if you buy aerial from ac-dc-tv for £39, you can still get this router/repeater for £49 delivered, rather than £119.

https://www.yachtingsoftware.com/usb-booster-and-wifi-repeater-bundle_p321.aspx
https://www.yachtingsoftware.com/usb-wifi-repeater-ar-3000_p320.aspx
Screen Shot 2015-10-20 at 08.51.35.png

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
The repeater is a good one. Sold under many badges but is essentially an "alfa r36 router" search under that name for bargains. Alfa network are expected to launch its successor within the next 12 months that will work with MIMO antenna. The r36 may perform as well as the Iboost but the interface is I think not as clean (or supported)

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'm technically hopeless but with some guidence manage to handle the r36

The above seems a good deal...well done. Why pay more!:)

premiere99

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
Medomsley, County Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
30+
That certainly looks good..

and about half the price of the iBoost directional system at £160 .. which I have already purchased.

You can get the same kit as the iBoost for £90.00 or upgrade to a more powerful antenna which I have for £120.00, both prices include a suction cup mount at £13.00 which the Yachting Software kit does not supply so comes out at about the same price. Not tried the Solwise USB but the "iBoost" kit is rock solid.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
dorset
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 700 LEG
Exp
I'm a newbie!
You can get the same kit as the iBoost for £90.00 or upgrade to a more powerful antenna which I have for £120.00, both prices include a suction cup mount at £13.00 which the Yachting Software kit does not supply so comes out at about the same price. Not tried the Solwise USB but the "iBoost" kit is rock solid.
All manner of fixing brackets and suction cup included. See link...
https://www.yachtingsoftware.com/utp2470-12-directional-usb-wifi-antenna_p319.aspx

premiere99

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
Medomsley, County Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
30+
OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
dorset
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 700 LEG
Exp
I'm a newbie!
Is that a suction cup, looks more like a plate to fix to the roof with either 3 bolts/screws or perhaps sikaflex, look at the diagram at http://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/files/net-wl-usb-utp-2470-12-datasheet.pdf
Solwise do a suction cup mount for the Antenna, a MNT-CAR-14C at £6.50
It says suction cup in the spec so assume it is? I'm not promoting it, I don't even own one yet, just throwing it out there as an option for good money.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The setup instructions describe using an Ethernet cable to connect to a PC or laptop. This won't work with a tablet that doesn't have a LAN port. I would have thought it should be possible to connect to it wirelessly, but I couldn't find that mentioned.

premiere99

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
Medomsley, County Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
30+
yes, it is.. wasn't suggesting otherwise.. had no problems with mine.. other than actually finding an open wifi

I'm starting to think the same money would have bought a MiFi with a shed load of 3 data ..
Yes the uncertainty of will I find a WiFi near enough or do I have a mobile signal, well I have the WiFi covered as far as I can with the booster (and having a son with BT Broadband WiFi helps) and now the mobile booster which is easy to overcome but at a price... £90.00 for an illegal setup or £500 for a legal one, decided that the illegal route is a none starter and I have a lot more important things to spend £500 pounds on present. Hopefully with 3 rolling out the 800 Mhz band it might improve coverage.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
having a son with BT Broadband WiFi helps

we also have BT Broadband .. and have successful used Fon in the UK.. but was never able to get a connection to Fon in France..

and yes, I have read the workaround, but to be frank.. if it doesn't work 'out of the box'.. can't be bothered .. as I mentioned on another thread.. whilst travelling it's not important,. if we have it .. fine.. if not.. no worries.

I bought the iBoost on impulse.. to date the cost hasn't been justified... just my view.

premiere99

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
Medomsley, County Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
30+
@Shaggy I like you looked at numerous options and the Solwise/Alpha was very tempting but in the end I went for the Ubiquiti NanoStation M2/ MikroTik mAP2n combo, same as the iBoost but with an extra 3db gain, wether that helps depends on what is transmitting at the other end. Every review was positive and several American RVer's have put up YouTube videos of the setup process, I am sure the USB route is going to be just as reliable but with mine I have CAT5 network cable that can reach the front windscreen, both sidewalls or rear and I am not sure 5M USB would be as easy to move the antenna around the van for best reception.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have the solwise router and you can connect wirelessly with iPad we have the old solwise rocket antenna the suction pads are rubbish.
They suck not!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have gone through many setups over the years from micro routers to massive satellite dishes. I have wasted so much money trying things out only to find out that it has one minor problem that makes it unusable for my use case. As I ran an internet company for many many years I am familiar with networking and understand routers, bridges and all the stuff that goes with them I can sort this stuff out given time and budget.

The iBoost system is a little on the pricey side when you know the components cost. However I value the package as all the work/setup has already been done for me which is worth the difference in price between the individual components and the complete package. When you buy it you are not buying the components you are buying a fully integrated and tested system.

I highly recommend the iBoost package. I have no ties to the company and I paid full price for my install. I rely on the internet to make my living and need 24/7 access. The iBoost is a straight forward system that just works.. My only criticism is that it doesn't store passwords and auto connect to previously used connections. But that is nothing a text file with the password in doesn't fix. If you don't have the time or technical knowledge to mess around then the iBoost system is still the best one around in my opinion.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we also have BT Broadband .. and have successful used Fon in the UK.. but was never able to get a connection to Fon in France..

and yes, I have read the workaround, but to be frank.. if it doesn't work 'out of the box'.. can't be bothered .. as I mentioned on another thread.. whilst travelling it's not important,. if we have it .. fine.. if not.. no worries.

I bought the iBoost on impulse.. to date the cost hasn't been justified... just my view.
Well I'm glad of that but not glad if you see what I mean(n)
I also can't get any fon in France , it is there and I must be fixed up right as I once, and only once got to the sign in thing, outside a cafe but it only lasted about a minute before it cut off and said I had too many devices connected, I'd only got the one, but also like you I have now give up on it as you can useualy find wifi or a phone signal somewhere.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Yes the uncertainty of will I find a WiFi near enough or do I have a mobile signal, well I have the WiFi covered as far as I can with the booster (and having a son with BT Broadband WiFi helps) and now the mobile booster which is easy to overcome but at a price... £90.00 for an illegal setup or £500 for a legal one, decided that the illegal route is a none starter and I have a lot more important things to spend £500 pounds on present. Hopefully with 3 rolling out the 800 Mhz band it might improve coverage.
Where does illegality come into it?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Well I'm glad of that but not glad if you see what I mean(n)
I also can't get any fon in France , it is there and I must be fixed up right as I once, and only once got to the sign in thing, outside a cafe but it only lasted about a minute before it cut off and said I had too many devices connected, I'd only got the one, but also like you I have now give up on it as you can useualy find wifi or a phone signal somewhere.

I've had the to many devices but tried 10 minutes later and connected ok . SFR nearly always have a fon connection at the bottom of there buy minutes page takes some finding at times on ipad.

joe

premiere99

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
Medomsley, County Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
30+

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
I have the Solwise box and usb aerial and it works well

I think I paid around £80 which also included a 12v power cable for the box

With the money I saved over the Motorhome WiFi prices I got a 4G MiFi and aerial as well!!

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009

premiere99

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
Medomsley, County Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
30+
It was a slightly off subject reply to ScotJimland who said he did not use the iBoost much and perhaps he could have used the money better buying a MiFi and loads of data. I just replied that I had sorted out the WiFi boost and was looking to sort out a phone booster for a MiFi or phone.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
It was a slightly off subject reply to ScotJimland who said he did not use the iBoost much and perhaps he could have used the money better buying a MiFi and loads of data. I just replied that I had sorted out the WiFi boost and was looking to sort out a phone booster for a MiFi or phone.
Here you are, perfectly legal and does the job for less than 50 quid. You can get more powerful external antenna, just make sure that antenna and mifi share the same connector.
Amazon product ASIN B00ABFTCMQBroken Link Removed

Dick

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
On a similar note, I've just negotiated a 4G 1GB data sim from EE for just £5 a month for UK use

What's the best option for Western Europe though?

EE said I can buy a bolt on data bundle for it for the period I'm abroad but would getting a foreign network data sim from the country I'm in be a better option?

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Returned 2015 after many years of kids and other expenses!
Wow! 4G 1GB £5 per month. How did you negotiate that?

Not sure on data or calls these days, but when I needed it, I always bought local SIMS when abroad for any period of time. Partly so that I didn't get the roaming charges for incoming calls (needed to receive calls then - don't now!! So reading this with great interest.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
On a similar note, I've just negotiated a 4G 1GB data sim from EE for just £5 a month for UK use

What's the best option for Western Europe though?

EE said I can buy a bolt on data bundle for it for the period I'm abroad but would getting a foreign network data sim from the country I'm in be a better option?
I just walk into a phone shop (you will find a handful within 100yds of each other in a mall or high street like the UK) shop around. You will need to take your passport in some countries and also take the device that you want to use the sim in in case of language difficulties. You will walk out connected.

Dick

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Wow! 4G 1GB £5 per month. How did you negotiate that?

Not sure on data or calls these days, but when I needed it, I always bought local SIMS when abroad for any period of time. Partly so that I didn't get the roaming charges for incoming calls (needed to receive calls then - don't now!! So reading this with great interest.
I've been with them years and really rate EE for both UK coverage and customer service. Only yesterday they sorted out an issue (I'd caused when I'd inadvertently cancelled a direct debit) by refunding me £20 I'd racked up.
They initially said 500MB for £5 a month but without prompting from me the call handler said she wanted to try for more and input 1GB allowance into the system which it allowed!
I do have two phone sims as well with them so perhaps get better deals on extra sims because of that?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back