Solar or Wind (1 Viewer)

Droop

Free Member
Feb 8, 2008
Funster No
I know this is the Solar forum but help me out here.

I have around £300 to spend, should I go for a Kyocera KD50 or the Rutland 504 wind turbine?

Please tell me which will give me the most power allowing for all weather conditions.

Also why solar in better than wind or vice-versa.

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No

Not a matter of better or worse, just different and which particular setup you could get the best use from depends entirely what your RVing lifestyle is going to be.

If your thing is fishing in the middle of winter in Northern Scotland then wind is the way to go only because you with get nothing out of solar. If you are in the habit of moving on every couple of days, or spending most of your time in Van parks then why bother with either. Summer in Spain or winter in Morocco and moving every two or three days then install solar.

If you want to spend long periods free camping then the equation changes again.

Generally, wind is not a practical option for RVs under most circumstances.

S

stagman

Deleted User
I know this is the Solar forum but help me out here.

I have around £300 to spend, should I go for a Kyocera KD50 or the Rutland 504 wind turbine?

Please tell me which will give me the most power allowing for all weather conditions.

Solar panels depends on light to generate electricity.The brighter the light the more electricity will be generated .My theory is you probabally will always have light but not wind.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

Tony has given a good appraisal, there is no 'one size fits all' For my particular circumstance solar is definitely the way to go but a decent set up costs a lot more than £300 ..

Have you considered a genny ? I bought one which has served me well over the past three years and when I can afford solar it will make a good back up..

Jim

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
One problem not mentioned with a wind turbine is that they can be noisy which by day may be ok but at night:thumbdown:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Wind turbines are noisy, VERY heavy and cumbersome to handle/store. They are suited to boats and upscaling and plonking in the middle of fields but not really that great for motorhomes.

Buy a decent generator its much less hastle and 100% reliable when you need it most :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That, why I said probabally

Covered your backside !

There's a bloke called Brown looking for people who can do that, pay not bad, expenses good, pension out of this world. Short term contracts only.

Actually my feeling is wind is a no-no but both are really in the hands of the gods.

S

stagman

Deleted User
Covered your backside !

There's a bloke called Brown looking for people who can do that, pay not bad, expenses good, pension out of this world. Short term contracts only.

Might look into that I fancy a Carthago:thumb:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Buy a decent generator its much less hastle and 100% reliable when you need it most :thumb:

Anything with an internal combustion engine can never be 100% reliable!!!!!

Assuming they do work, and they seem to do most of the time, they are ready to give power any time of the day and in any (well almost any) weather.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back