Degsy

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Elldis 180
Exp
hi travelling from Plymouth to Bilbo in January . And I do suffer from. Sea sickness . How bad is the crossing likely to be this time of year and the best sickness pills

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
My Dad always told of his time on National Service, crossing the Bay of Biscay in horrendous storms!

We sailed four times in 2009:
Pride of Bilbao (RIP) on Jan 2-4: calm as a mill pond.
Pont Aven - Apr 6-7: slight westerly swell, enough to make me avoid the dinner we had booked!
P o B: - Apr 15-17: calm as a mill pond
P o B: - July 3-4: calm as a mill pond.

Last year we had friends who went out in early July (I think) and caught the tail end of that hurricane.

The only guarantee you get is with the Chunnel!

Gordon

(Why such strange timings? I was teaching in Marbella and had to come back to see the family AND sort out MOT etc)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi
I have posted this before,and they still work for me. " Stugeron 15" Tablets

On holiday at Plymouth sound CC couple of years ago and was offered a chance of a canoe trip with a " Sea Kyaka ?" spelling ? told them i could be sea sick on the Woolich Ferry LOL,so he said get...... "Stugeron 15 Tablets",said OK and promptly forgot. Talking to an old mate of mine,discussing his health,and he said he was suffering from dizzyness and he was coping with a prescription of...Stugeron tablets from his doctor.
Brain kicked in, i have heard about these tablets before,we had to get back to Portugal quickly and booked the Plymouth Spain ferry,so armed with the Stugeron pills,and taking them Exactly as it said on the packet,off we sailed. Dog friendly cabin..up on deck 10? (Near the crows nest LOL),the sea doing its best to roll the boat/ship ? over,there is me,with a belly full of stew , and the growler out on the exercise area,walking about a if i was on dry land....MAGIC-a RESULT.
The daughter uses them now,and has a good voyage, i have done the return trip on the "Economy" boat,(Word of warning,the cabin carpets of the other ferry are not the only thing missing from this boat/ship/craft? so are several tonnes of WEIGHT!!! .... Cork?Bobbing LOL)
Give them a try,what have you got to lose ? ( except your stomach LOL)
Tea Bag (Twinned with Vasco da Gama LOL!!)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Don't know about tablets but you are best to place yourself in the middle of the ship, as low down as possible and close your eyes, sleep f possible. Trying to make sense of the movement around you, combined with making yourself balance if moving about, confuses the brain, causing nausea.
If I were you, I'd book a cabin, have an audio book on iPod or similar, headphones on, go to bed.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Last year our crossing was cancelled - that bad. Chunnel was quite calm.

Also happened to us 2 years out of 3 from Portsmouth to Santander - in January this year and Jan 2013 (Jan 2014 was fine) each time we re booked on the St Malo ferry for the same night and got a refund :) Driving all the way through France in January is not exactly fun though!!

However as the eternal optimists we are booked on the Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry on January 25th 2016!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Driving all the way through France in January is not exactly fun though!!

Nor Spain.

We got to Biarritz, walked to see the sea and got blown back where we came from. Next day or so in Spain I worked out that if I drove as close to the armco as possible the van might stay upright when it tried to blow us over, drove like that to the next exit and crawled down the side roads.

By mid Morocco all was fine.

We are on the daytime Caen ferry this Jan.

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
We always use kwells and they work for both of us, did a really rough crossing from Dieppe a few weeks ago and we were fine, it was so rough one of the ferries couldn't dock to unload in Newhaven and damaged the ferry, but we were enjoying it and my husband does suffer usually, of course the weather could be lovely in January.

Safe trip

Lynne

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
We travelled end of January. Absolutely flat calm. Had far worse crossings from Dover.

Luck of the draw.

Decide on what tablets you will use if necessary and then watch the weather forecast.

Doug

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My Dad always told of his time on National Service, crossing the Bay of Biscay in horrendous storms!

We sailed four times in 2009:
Pride of Bilbao (RIP) on Jan 2-4: calm as a mill pond.
Pont Aven - Apr 6-7: slight westerly swell, enough to make me avoid the dinner we had booked!
P o B: - Apr 15-17: calm as a mill pond
P o B: - July 3-4: calm as a mill pond.

Last year we had friends who went out in early July (I think) and caught the tail end of that hurricane.

The only guarantee you get is with the Chunnel!

Gordon

(Why such strange timings? I was teaching in Marbella and had to come back to see the family AND sort out MOT etc)

Guaranteed to be delayed...BUSBY.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We went Portsmouth to Santander a couple of years ago and it was like a pond. The return in march was 'rocky' to say the least with LD lines. The bed was east west so one minute my trolleys were around my ankles, and the next a wedgie! It calmed down when we could see Poole harbour.

Craig

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
The worst crossing I ever had was in August, just cos it's winter doesn't mean it'll be especially bad, calm down and enjoy the trip, I've been traveling the bay every year since 2005, never been in a panic once

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back