Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi All,
I need to get reasonable internet while away and at home so I can manage our small business which is our pension, I live in rural France and at present have to beam my internet from a friends house 7 km away which luckily I have line of sight to. We just returned from our Croatia trip to find that SFR has messed about with their cables and we are only getting 0.5 mb/s rather than the 3.5 mb/s we are used to which is perfectly adequate. I am looking at the Satellite route but it would be good to use it while away, so I thought as we have a Telco Motorised dish on the van which sits just outside my office when parked up and which we never use for TV but why not use it for internet. I could then also use it at home while there. We travel in the motorhome about half the year.
Has anybody done such a thing? the Oyster and other systems must just be standard DISEC systems so I see no reason why it shouldn't work. I can't really justify the £3 to £4K that they cost new and installed, (sorry Eddie) but surely the modem and special LNB should be available for separate purchase then a bit of fiddling to fit one to another and then presumably find a service provider.
Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.
Or am I being totally daft even thinking about it?
Steve

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It can be done and I've read about folk doing it on here but I can't remember the details. But the monthly subscription can be quite high.

Can you not use mobile broadband or are you too far out in the sticks?

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks DBK,
The trouble with mobile is geographical, OK, at home if you can find the right package but too expensive if you cross any boarders, as far as I know we don't have any "3" type deals, but my French is not good enough to get passed the salesmen anyway, but you are still talking about €40 a month. I very rarely use a mobile phone and actually use a UK payg as it doesn't run out put £10 on it at Xmas still got £8.
But will try looking again.
Satellite just looks so attractive as it crosses boarders I notice @Jim is using one now he may give a report on his findings. I think he in Portugal at the moment so a good test of crossing boarders.
I did find one discussion on here but it was about ISP's not DIY.
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
I use 3 network only £17 for unlimited internet with 200 min and unlimited text,Can you not get someone to sort out a contract for you. we use ours in France for months at a time .

goldenline

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
Port Grimaud France
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Check out SFR Red you can get data packages quite cheap but I think it is only available via Internet. We have SFR gold package which gives us 10gb of Internet per month in France and10 gb per year in Europe and also 35 days of phone calls per year outside of France and that costs 53€ per month. But we don't have land line, if you already have sfr land line I think you would get a better deal

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks @Jim looks very interesting, with a good range of packages, Have just installed GlassWire to try and see what our usage is at the moment. Their packages seem to have lower data limits than TwoWay etc. for the price but seem more flexible. The Coverage Map doesn't show Spain Portugal & Morocco how are you finding it touring. Does the system switch to the slower KU signal? But I notice it doesn't cover the coast of Portugal or Southern Spain or Morocco.
Thanks @Lofty1 I was looking at "3" but they specifically say if you don't connect in the "UK" at least once a month they will charge standard tarrif so not suitable if not resident in the UK.
Thanks @goldenline I will investigate that but monthly cost looks similar without good cross boarder coverage.
Steve

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks @Jim looks very interesting, with a good range of packages, Have just installed GlassWire to try and see what our usage is at the moment. Their packages seem to have lower data limits than TwoWay etc. for the price but seem more flexible. The Coverage Map doesn't show Spain Portugal & Morocco how are you finding it touring. Does the system switch to the slower KU signal? But I notice it doesn't cover the coast of Portugal or Southern Spain or Morocco.
Thanks @Lofty1 I was looking at "3" but they specifically say if you don't connect in the "UK" at least once a month they will charge standard tarif so not suitable if not resident in the UK.
Thanks @goldenline I will investigate that but monthly cost looks similar without good cross boarder coverage.
Steve

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Thanks @Lofty1 I was looking at "3" but they specifically say if you don't connect in the "UK" at least once a month they will charge standard tarrif so not suitable if not resident in the UK.
Steve
Strange we were in France for 3 months this year in one go without problems

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Strange we were in France for 3 months this year in one go without problems
Yes @Lofty1 but you probably activated and used it in the UK then went abroad then back to the UK etc. so they may be flexible with their conditions in those circumstances.
Quoting from Andy's website Broken Link Removedwhich is easier than trawling through the "3" T&C's: "There is also a maximum permissible usage of any one SIM for 60 days in any 365 and for new contracts 30 days must have elapsed before you can use abroad. PAYG customers can simply get around this by buying a second SIM card."
Getting friends to buy activate and post sim's would be a bit restricting I think.
Which is why I have finally got down to Satellite Internet as probably the best over all solution. And looking at some of the prices probably not particularly any more expensive monthly compared to our present system. As we could ditch our land line completely so save the cost of France Telecom and have VOIP calls which is much cheaper monthly and which would also be available when touring for calling out to family etc.
The biggest problem is the £3k up front cost of Satellite hence my question as to whether anybody has successfully converted an existing Auto Dish. Our van came with one which we never use for TV but do not want to risk the possible damage to the roof if we take it off. But if I can convert it then possibly for a couple of hundred we may be able to solve our at home and away problems, I HOPE!

Steve

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I believe the basic equipment you need is a satellite router and an LNB designed for sending and receiving.

I found this through Googling. Same provider Jim uses. http://www.broadbandeverywhere.co.uk/page/installing

I assume you can set the dish up manually to point at the satellite, using a signal strength meter? Otherwise automatic systems are going to shove the price up.

Edit. Just found this, uses mandraulic alignment. £900 they say but if you already have a dish it should be cheaper. http://www.ez-net.co.uk

Last edited:

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
I believe the basic equipment you need is a satellite router and an LNB designed for sending and receiving.

I found this through Googling. Same provider Jim uses. http://www.broadbandeverywhere.co.uk/page/installing

I assume you can set the dish up manually to point at the satellite, using a signal strength meter? Otherwise automatic systems are going to shove the price up.

Edit. Just found this, uses mandraulic alignment. £900 they say but if you already have a dish it should be cheaper. http://www.ez-net.co.uk
Does anybody have this system for use at home or travelling abroad - sounds interesting but love to see some reviews.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We use a fixed satellite broadband for our home in France. The dish is enormous and we were told when we signed up for it that the broadband service needs a better quality dish than normal satellite TV. The broadband works OK but at £25 per month for 4GB is not cheap, although I know there are better deals out there now. We also have a portable satellite system for TV which we've used while camping and works very well once the manual set up is achieved. I keep thinking of trying the broadband LNB on the portable dish to see if it does work. That would be really useful for the MH if it's successful. We've only used our set up in the South of England and France though. I'm told it should work down as far as mid-Spain, but no further.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi DBK,
Thanks for the links, the second one is very interesting but their kit initially seems expensive.
I can point the dish automatically to any satellite with the existing box just need the Criterior (frequency, polarity etc.) for the satelite I am looking for. But that depends on Teleco who made my Automatic Sat Dish, being cooporative, or one of their agents who of course may be a Funster might help.
It's all a bit of a learning curve which is why it would be good to find somebody who has done it. And where they bought their kit (iLNB, Sat Modem for the Ku band etc.) I have at least established that the Ku band is what I need to get most of Europe coverage. It has a maximum speed of 10mbps but that is three times as fast as the best I ever get with my existing system. it's struggling to get to 1mbps at the moment.
I have p.m'd

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Sorry about the above post not finishing properly, I whote it last night and my internet was so bad I couldn't get it to go then this morning when I switched to MHF it went!!
Thanks @Encantador just what I wanted I have actually P.M'd @seanoo about his system.
It is now looking very much doable I think.
Steve

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
so far it's been faultless and always on internet is very liberating.

What are your monthly fee`s Jim ???

Mine is £24-99 a month unlimited, anywhere in Europe... waste of money at the moment... But if I cancel it is a pain to get back on-line.. (So I have been told).. :mad:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi DBK,
Thanks for the links, the second one is very interesting but their kit initially seems expensive.
I can point the dish automatically to any satellite with the existing box just need the Criterior (frequency, polarity etc.) for the satelite I am looking for. But that depends on Teleco who made my Automatic Sat Dish, being cooporative, or one of their agents who of course may be a Funster might help.
It's all a bit of a learning curve which is why it would be good to find somebody who has done it. And where they bought their kit (iLNB, Sat Modem for the Ku band etc.) I have at least established that the Ku band is what I need to get most of Europe coverage. It has a maximum speed of 10mbps but that is three times as fast as the best I ever get with my existing system. it's struggling to get to 1mbps at the moment.
I have p.m'd
I found the satelliteinternet.co.uk site when I was looking the other day but there is a lot missing on their website when it came to the hardware so I didn't mention them, but it looks like they are the folk @seanoo uses and their prices and equipment look very reasonable compared to others.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know this will sound daft to you hi tec guys, but you say you need it for business but how much per day , if you only need to be on half an hour, say, would it be cheaper to go for breakfast at McDonald's every day and use theirs, other places also have wifi.
Then you could still use your present setup for non urgent stuff.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
.. would it be cheaper to go for breakfast at McDonald's every day and use theirs....
Good point but at home I have a 100 km round trip to my nearest McD's and when touring we very rarely stay where there is one and when we find one very often their wi-fi doesn't work. We were recently in Venice and desperately needed to send an email but everywhere was totally locked down and McD's didn't work but did finally find a pub with English Beer at £11 a pint but good stuff and good wi-fi. Would really prefer to be independent and have my own. If I could get @old-mo £25 deal that would be great just don't want to spend £3.5k up front and throw a perfectly good Auto Satellite dish away.
And the fact that with Satellite you can get it in most of Europe knocks 3g & 4g out of the window unless you live in the UK and can get the "3" deal, although probably a similar price per month.
Steve

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Good point but at home I have a 100 km round trip to my nearest McD's and when touring we very rarely stay where there is one and when we find one very often their wi-fi doesn't work. We were recently in Venice and desperately needed to send an email but everywhere was totally locked down and McD's didn't work but did finally find a pub with English Beer at £11 a pint but good stuff and good wi-fi. Would really prefer to be independent and have my own. If I could get @old-mo £25 deal that would be great just don't want to spend £3.5k up front and throw a perfectly good Auto Satellite dish away.
And the fact that with Satellite you can get it in most of Europe knocks 3g & 4g out of the window unless you live in the UK and can get the "3" deal, although probably a similar price per month.
Steve
Venice!!!, we once paid 20 odd euros for a pot of tea for two, in st marks square, silver pot , China cups violins in the background , wouldn't do it again but just the once for the experience , never forget it, brill:)(y)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Steve

Three feel at home is throttled in France and Spain and only useful for email and basic browsing.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Interesting hadn't realised that which totally puts Satellite in front.

Probably should add that this was my experience. Spent 7 weeks this year in France and down to Benidorm. It worked everywhere but never managed to watch a Youtube vid or play a vid on BBC website, even when showing 4/5 bars.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
https://www.satelliteinternet.co.uk/

Cannot see my package deal now.....Some one said they had changed.... that is why I don`t want to cancel. (Through lack of or no use). then re-connect later... I might not get the package I am on now.. :(
That's who I'm with too. £24.99 per month for 4Gb of data, which is no longer available. The current packages are much better value ie £22.95 for 10Gb of data and much faster speeds, but they say I have to buy new equipment if I want to upgrade.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I`ll stick with what I have.... suit`s me.... and I don`t use it much now... :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back