Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Hi folks - I'm planning a week with my mate in the MH in the first week of December. Has anyone done this in their MH?

I thought it would be easy enough to stay overnight in distillery car parks, but lots are saying no - which given we want to have a few drams when we get there is a bit of a pain.

Dalwhinnie have said that there is a lay by near them which many people use. I'm happy to use a camp site that has hard standing as long as it's fairly centrally located and taxis actually do operate (or even buses - do they have regular services in Scotland?).

In the main - we'll be in and around Speyside but as we're traveling up from London diverting won't be a problem for the right distillery. I think we won't hit Islay as my mate doesn't do peat.

Any thoughts or ideas?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Britstops? Not sure if there are any in the locations you want, as I am not near my guide at the moment. Will look tomorrow.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The CC site at Grantown on Spey is open all year and open to non-members. Has some hard standing pitches. There are a few Britstops (3+) in the area so it might be worth you buying the book.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
The Macallan distillery is worth a visit and we stayed at the nearby Speyside CCC site.
I adopted a different approach to the sampling process - I had a sip but gave most of my dram to my wife ... and bought a bottle so that I got the chance to enjoy it later ;-)

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
I have only visited two.. don't drink so can't say what they taste like..

Talisker on the Isle of Skye.. car park opposite and camp site at Glenbrittle.
and
The Arran distillery At Lochranza .. camp site across the road

Have done Talisker - but it's a good one and my first ever distillery.

The CC site at Grantown on Spey is open all year and open to non-members. Has some hard standing pitches. There are a few Britstops (3+) in the area so it might be worth you buying the book.

Yes. I think I should. Is the 2016 edition out yet?

The Macallan distillery is worth a visit and we stayed at the nearby Speyside CCC site.
I adopted a different approach to the sampling process - I had a sip but gave most of my dram to my wife ... and bought a bottle so that I got the chance to enjoy it later ;-)

Lol. I wish my missus would appreciate it. She won't appreciate the amount of bottles I'll probably bring back..!!!

Reactions: DBK
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
One not to miss is Edradour Distillery and it's in a beautiful setting.
Pitlochry
Perthshire
Scotland
PH16 5JP

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
pity we couldn't start a whiskey tour convey think my Bill would be up for it but i don't drive the van so he wouldn't be able to have a tipple or two :( such a shame they wont let anyone stop over as anyone ever asked ?

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Pitlochry
Perthshire
Scotland
PH16 5JP

That's a good shout. What's the whisky like. It always been on my list but not got round to it.

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
pity we couldn't start a whiskey tour convey think my Bill would be up for it but i don't drive the van so he wouldn't be able to have a tipple or two :( such a shame they wont let anyone stop over as anyone ever asked ?

Most are hiding behind some kind of HMRC rule? Balvenie & Glenfiddich (who are next door) have no qualms though. Just seems odd.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Pitlochry
Perthshire
Scotland
PH16 5JP

The best of this is you can stay on the car park right in the centre of Pitlochery there are dedicated bays and cost very little for over night, it's next to the library. Bells Distillery is also near.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Oban is a very acquired taste, but if you like a peaty single malt, worth a visit. The village is very picturesque, and there is a ferry over to Tobermory which was very cheap when we went there! :D

Now I am older, my favourite dram is Isle of Jura, especially the superstition! :D

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Oban is a very acquired taste, but if you like a peaty single malt, worth a visit. The village is very picturesque, and there is a ferry over to Tobermory which was very cheap when we went there! :D

Now I am older, my favourite dram is Isle of Jura, especially the superstition! :D

Now I am older I steer clear of Jura! I used to like it but realized that it was easy to get from the supermarket hence I grew accustomed to it.

Went to Oban a while back, I don't mind the 14 to be honest, but if I headed that way I'd stop off at Loch Fyne Whiskies and spend all day there (or until they kicked me out..!) brilliant whisky shop with some incredible numbers. In fact they make (blend) their own and have a 'living cask' which you can contribute to!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Went to Oban a while back, I don't mind the 14 to be honest, but if I headed that way I'd stop off at Loch Fyne Whiskies and spend all day there (or until they kicked me out..!) brilliant whisky shop with some incredible numbers. In fact they make (blend) their own and have a 'living cask' which you can contribute to!
Now there's one I have not tried, but the word 'blend' when applied to a Whisky, makes me shudder and think of Jack Daniels :D
From various posts I have observed, I notice that I am not alone in liking the odd dram of Whisky, perhaps there's some mileage in an organised Whisky rally? :D

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Now there's one I have not tried, but the word 'blend' when applied to a Whisky, makes me shudder and think of Jack Daniels :D
From various posts I have observed, I notice that I am not alone in liking the odd dram of Whisky, perhaps there's some mileage in an organised Whisky rally? :D

Hang on a sec - you like Jura :lol: just kidding. Most of the worlds whiskies that are sold are in fact blends - probably around 90% if not more. But like most mass marketed, low cost nonsense out there indeed a lot of is absolute pony. But there are some fantastic blends out there. Steer clear of the usual suspects Bells/Teachers (and find a good local whisky shop that you can sample and speak to someone) and there's some good stuff out there. For example, tonight I'm drinking Naked Grouse, from the Famous Grouse stable (yuck). But saw it half price for 15 quid and thought I'd give it a go. Very good. Further digging into it and it's a Macallan / Highland Park blend. No wonder it's going down a treat!

Jack Daniels (even bigger yuck!!!) I love a good American whiskey. Top tip - look for anything labeled 'Kentucky straight' and you know you're on the right path. JD is Tennessee whisky. And made by the Welsh. Need I say more ;-)

Whisky meet - I'm all over it like a rash.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Broken Link Removed

This may be of interest in this thread.

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
I use McTears often and telephone bid. Just be wary of commission and VAT on top. Oh and you will need to arrange a courier to pick up, package and deliver. About 15-20 quid for 4 bottles. But there are some good bottles that come up for sale. But (and maybe I should whisper) German auction sites are ace too given the euro currently.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I use McTears often and telephone bid. Just be wary of commission and VAT on top. Oh and you will need to arrange a courier to pick up, package and deliver. About 15-20 quid for 4 bottles. But there are some good bottles that come up for sale. But (and maybe I should whisper) German auction sites are ace too given the euro currently.
Yes commission and vat at around 24% makes for tip toeing in.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Jack Daniels (even bigger yuck!!!) I love a good American whiskey. Top tip - look for anything labeled 'Kentucky straight' and you know you're on the right path. JD is Tennessee whisky. And made by the Welsh. Need I say more ;-)
Strangely I do like Makers Mark, and Old Grandad. I have grown to like Red Stag (Cherry Jim Beam) as a mixer.
But nothing hits the spot like a good Scots single malt! :D
I am trying to think of the film. It stars Nicole Kidman, and one of the Baldwin brothers. It's all about an elaborate plot to gain millions from a botched operation when Nicoles character was pregnant. Anyway, I digress, the mother in that film cam out with a quote "blended Whisky is crap" :D
Now I've got to go and hunt down the name of the film :D

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Strangely I do like Makers Mark, and Old Grandad. I have grown to like Red Stag (Cherry Jim Beam) as a mixer.
But nothing hits the spot like a good Scots single malt! :D
I am trying to think of the film. It stars Nicole Kidman, and one of the Baldwin brothers. It's all about an elaborate plot to gain millions from a botched operation when Nicoles character was pregnant. Anyway, I digress, the mother in that film cam out with a quote "blended Whisky is crap" :D
Now I've got to go and hunt down the name of the film :D

Ah - you do like some good whiskey then?

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
OK folks, this is soon to be upon us.

My itinerary looks like this:

Day 1 - Annandale
Day 2 - Aberfeldy (Dewars)
Day 3 - Sunday - not much open in Scotland so spending time in one of the best whisky bars in Scotland
Day 4 - Glendronach & ancnoc
Day 5 - Glenfiddich (solera tour) & Cardhu
Day 6 - Balvenie
Day 7 - Macallan & Aberlour (Casks from the Past Tasting)

This has been knocked up by availability rather than design given the availability of tours when we plan to visit. Plus I've always wanted to 'camp' on my birthday, but my missus has never been keen, so I get to go out in the motorhome in a Scottish winter. I'm guessing snow and all kinds of weather that you'd not want to drive through.

No distilleries will let me officially stay in the car park (whilst if I rocked up and had a drink, there is no way they could send me away), but even most campsites in Scotland are closed past October. So my initial plan has fallen through.

That said, I've managed to convince some landlords and hoteliers to let me stay in their car parks for free on the basis that we'll have a meal with them etc...

Now, I'm happy to keep this thread updated with some pics and notes from whilst I'm away. I've never done a blog and @Jim I'm wondering whether this should be done, of if it's OK to just keep on posting on here.

Anyone has any questions to ask the distilleries when I'm there, happy to put them forwards on your behalf. No question is out of bounds especially if it provokes a debate - which I like
icon_smile.gif

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp