Advice re saucepans please (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
so many to choose from. What do you use? Is there a consensus of opinion as to what to buy? We would prefer non stick I think.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Non stick for us too wherever possible. They aren't really non stick in my experience but much easier to clean. They need thick bottoms too, less chance of burning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We bought a ceramic lined frying pan recently and were really impressed with the non-stick quality.

Going to be looking for saucepans to match next time we go to TK Maxx.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Sainsburys have a soft touch handle range on offer at the moment. They are nonstick, have a pourer and the lids have built in straining holes on one area. Really pleased with them, no more burnt fingers or peas and rice diwn the sink. Liked the look of the tefal range with the removable handle but i am far too mean/careful.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
we eventually tracked down the Tefal stacking set with clip on handle in a shop in france

These are them..
Amazon product ASIN B003E6S7LQ

We have these, in fact moved them around in the garage today. Although they are good quality and the detachable handles make storage better, wife said they are to thick and take longer to cook with. Now have some very cheap ones from a Chinese shop in Spain, not heard her moan about them as yet... :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I have wasted so much money on pans .... now found the ideal ones eventually... The Kitchen shop at Clarkes Village Shopping Centre in Street, Somerset sell some by 'Professional'...... Brilliant.... not only non=stick just need to wipe with a piece of kitchen roll to clean them... they can go into the oven too straight from the hob... I only have one as they arn't cheap but they do come up on offer and will definitely get some more. (Excuse typing ... only have short while on computer and have to grab it when I can... :( )

http://www.procook.co.uk/stores/Street

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We have these, in fact moved them around in the garage today. Although they are good quality and the detachable handles make storage better, wife said they are to thick and take longer to cook with. Now have some very cheap ones from a Chinese shop in Spain, not heard her moan about them as yet... :)

Ah but it will all end in tears and more shopping:)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
When we bought our van in a private sale it came fully loaded in the kitchen area. Everything was almost new and in good order so we hardly changed anything. It just about all came from IKEA, a store I don't think we'd even been in!

PS...an electric steamer is also an excellent add on :)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Ah but it will all end in tears and more shopping:)
When you have a woman that shops at Chinese outlets there is no " high maintenance" so I can live with it.....
When I cook its all in a frying pan.!!!

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
We bought a ceramic lined frying pan recently and were really impressed with the non-stick quality.

Going to be looking for saucepans to match next time we go to TK Maxx.

I was absolutely amazed at the non-stick quality of the ceramic pan, it could "fry" an egg with no oil, but I would recommend using it for a while before buying more; after a couple of months mine became "extra stick" and no amount of recondtioning according to the manufacturer's instructions seems to help. It was never abused in any way, just seemed to have a shelf life. I will stick (or not) to good old cast iron for frying.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I was absolutely amazed at the non-stick quality of the ceramic pan, it could "fry" an egg with no oil, but I would recommend using it for a while before buying more; after a couple of months mine became "extra stick" and no amount of recondtioning according to the manufacturer's instructions seems to help. It was never abused in any way, just seemed to have a shelf life. I will stick (or not) to good old cast iron for frying.
Good advice, Janine, mine did the same :( ... use it for a while before deciding.

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015

We bought one ceramic frying pan. To start with, brilliant, but in under a year it changed from non sticking omelette, to 'I don't care what you do this omelette is staying in the pan forever'! We've stopped using it!

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have a set of the Tefal pans with detachable handle, however I also use a stoneware frying pan which is fantastic and is quite deep with lid. It is a bit like a small wok and no fat is added. Other than that I use a slow cooker in the van.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We bought a set from Argos, it was the home starter set, and apart from being cheap, had loads of bits that we needed to set up the van. See the link here: Broken Link Removed
I have broken the corkscrew, but apart from that, we are still using it :D

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

We did the same thing bought a set of Tower ceramic pans, they were a total disaster, extra stick and all the handles came loose, sent them back for a full refund, bought a set of Sainsburys non stick professional range which are fantastic quality.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
we eventually tracked down the Tefal stacking set with clip on handle in a shop in france

These are them..
Amazon product ASIN B003E6S7LQ

After trying several different cheap light sets we eventually settled on these ones too.

Yes, they are expensive and heavy, but they are easy to clean, the non stick works, and having a PVC the fact that they stack well is fantastic. We've got two sizes of the saucepans and two sizes of the frying pans.

We've also got a universal steamer that fits on top of both of the saucepans like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kitchen-C...hash=item3cf849b29a:m:m4lSH4BBxPUDdGKTLJjzdfQ
but the saucepans stack nicely inside it.

And then we added a universal lid that fits the two saucepans and steamer like this
Amazon product ASIN B00A16E2PM
So now everything stacks together nicely with these protecting them
Amazon product ASIN B00HEPAFB8in a minimum of space.

Finally after years of camping/caravanning/motorhoming and 'making do' with various different saucepans we are at last happy with what we've got.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
We used our kitchen castouts we still using them although I did buy a little fryin pan:):):):):)

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
We used our kitchen castouts we still using them although I did buy a little fryin pan:):):):):)

People do this on boats too. I am more inclined to think that time on the boat or in the van should be quality time.

You should be using your van castouts in the kitchen (y)

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
People do this on boats too. I am more inclined to think that time on the boat or in the van should be quality time.

You should be using your van castouts in the kitchen (y)

When we first got our current van with a fixed bed I went out and bought new duvets, pillows, sheets etc. And I do remember thinking for a while 'is it wrong that I've got nicer stuff in my van than in my house?'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back