Bigging it up for the Caravan Club (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
So often on here we see negative reports about the CC and the wardens etc etc.
Well last weekend we went to the High Onn site in Staffs and have to say it was awesome. Great marshals, no facilities, cheap as chips and a fantastic dog walk to boot.

Having been members for well over 10 years we particularly like the CL network and having stayed at loads of aires, stellplatz and other variations find many of the CL's great value and ideally placed with the new search facility on the web site.

Nothing important just thought I would share that with you, won't be everyone's experience but balance is the key Captain, balance is the key.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We've just booked long leat
for festival of light very helpful.
When I booked .

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Staff at Plymouth Sound CC site,bringing a barrow full of blocks to enable a unit to be safely levelled at the bottom of the site where it slopes,but has a superb view.Not mine,i know the limitations of our unit on wet grass,we were there for the Fireworks,"Head to head" Magic.
I am fully aware that there are/maybe,"Stern ?" wardens,i have first hand knowledge of this,we went to retire early,went as assistant wardens,loved the job,but the final straw? Chap booking out of storage at the site office,for a holiday abroad,me just having a look around/nose LOL, the outfit while he did this,(Years of looking around lorries prior to launching) noticed a bad cut on the wall of a front tyre. Mentioned this to the chap,he unhitched the c/van into a convenient space and went straight away to get a new tyre. The warden was beside himself. "You get to much involved etc..........,it is not your job"
In fairness,the CC did come and ask the reasons we were leaving,and we could have gone to another site,but property prices were rocketing and i decided to get back into being a home owner again. There are awkward wardens,there are awkward Members/Customers,sometimes they come face to face...........
Tea Bag.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
If only the management of the Caravan Club had some sense, like you we had been members for over 10 years and used it together with CCC. and MCC . But not any more, we were touring Scotland a couple of years ago quite a remote area, pulled on to one of their sites for a couple of nights but they were full up. Absoulutly no problem with that we had not booked so it's luck of the draw.

We explained that we were in a remote area and as we could not stay, could we have a couple of carriers of Water to put us on, as we were quite low. We were told No we could not, we explained that we were members and were willing to pay for water if necessary. No we were again told it's company policy and you can't have any Water.

When we got home we got in touch with the CC as we could not believe they would leave members without water in quite a remote area. But we were told again by Head Office Company policy No Water if you are not on site.

After that I just did not feel the same about the club and cancelled my subscription, shame really.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There are awkward wardens,there are awkward Members/Customers,sometimes they come face to face...........

so very true.. the same applies to any club or site..

been CC members on and off for the past 25 years..
yes.. you get grumpy wardens.. but they have a hard job.. not one I envy, .. working from 8am until late in the evening, having to deal with jo public would wear the patience of a saint.. .. I couldn't do it.. I did it for a week looking after a CL.. that was enough to convince me it wasn't my forte..

We love CLs.. main reason for being members.. it's the nearest we have to aires... albeit many are no use in winter.

the last three we visited this year.. perfect.. lovely sites, lovely friendly owners..
DSCF1945.JPG
DSCF1948.JPG
DSCF2023.JPG

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
So often on here we see negative reports about the CC and the wardens etc etc.
Well last weekend we went to the High Onn site in Staffs and have to say it was awesome. Great marshals, no facilities, cheap as chips and a fantastic dog walk to boot.

Having been members for well over 10 years we particularly like the CL network and having stayed at loads of aires, stellplatz and other variations find many of the CL's great value and ideally placed with the new search facility on the web site.

Nothing important just thought I would share that with you, won't be everyone's experience but balance is the key Captain, balance is the key.

Been there a couple of times and also think the wardens are great.
Another one we use sometimes is Warwick which also gets a vote for the wardens.
Some CC sites we would never go back to as the wardens have no common sense and are too officious. Not going to name any but they all are sites with at least 2 couples running them.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I am currently involved in a dispute with the Club.

A booking made by me on 3rd December 2014 for a stay on a Dorset Club site, was cancelled by the site warden on 31st August this year, the day before we set off from home. The reason given was that some pitches had been temporarily lost due to flooding.

"Fair enough" I said, "but I made my booking 8 months ago. Surely others who have booked more recently should be selected for cancellation ahead of me".

The warden said that he would make enquiries and get back to me. He never did, but went off on his holiday without telling his relief warden that I was awaiting a decision.

Initial response from the Club suggests that the warden has given his Regional Manager an inaccurate account of the conversation (which can be substantiated by my wife as it was received on a hands-free device while I was driving).

The Club also state that they do not apply a 'last in first out' policy'.
Well, if they don't then in my opinion they should.

I have been a member of the Club for almost 30 years (including a break when we had no caravan), and I have regularly defended the Club and its wardens on this forum.
However, I think that the long relationship will end this year.

Stef.

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
The Club also state that they do not apply a 'last in first out' policy'.
Well, if they don't then in my opinion they should.
Stef.
Did they tell you what the policy was on who got a cancellation? Looking at it purely objectively if I were them I would cancel the least lucrative first (ie one or two night bookings) before I cancelled longer stays. Not saying it is right or wrong - just from a business point of view.

Must have been a huge disappointment for you though after booking so early.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Did they tell you what the policy was on who got a cancellation? Looking at it purely objectively if I were them I would cancel the least lucrative first (ie one or two night bookings) before I cancelled longer stays. Not saying it is right or wrong - just from a business point of view.

Must have been a huge disappointment for you though after booking so early.

He said "My wife made out the list for the cancellations, I'm just making the phone calls while she's at lunch".

Much was made of the fact that I have a large motorhome, but when I told him that it's rear-wheel-drive with twin rear wheels he seemed to sympathise with me.

That was the point where he said that he'd make enquiries and call me back.

I'd like to see the list of all those that were cancelled. Pound to a penny that they were all motorhomes, regardless of size.

Stef.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
He said "My wife made out the list for the cancellations, I'm just making the phone calls while she's at lunch".

Much was made of the fact that I have a large motorhome, but when I told him that it's rear-wheel-drive with twin rear wheels he seemed to sympathise with me.

That was the point where he said that he'd make enquiries and call me back.

I'd like to see the list of all those that were cancelled. Pound to a penny that they were all motorhomes, regardless of size.

Stef.
As soon as I read your first post about the cancellation I thought it's because you have a big MH. Either that or envy but either way they are totally out of order to cancel so late when others will have booked the week before.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We've just booked long leat
for festival of light very helpful.
When I booked .
We've stayed there, little ones birthday treat was Longleat. It is a very nice site, and we had a great time. You do know that there is a slightly different route in if you don't have park tickets don't you?

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I have been using CC sites for about 5 years and I like the fact you know what to expect wherever the site may be but they do have some silly rules, like regimental parking; ridiculous speed limits and a first come first serve culture plus they cost a fortune and are generally not very child friendly (in my view) but overall they are clean with friendly staff and are well maintained.
That said, frankly I have had enough of trying to book pitches with the CC, they are always full at weekends unless you book in January and they are all starting to look the same as the rules are rigidly enforced throughout, no thanks to the tiny minority of selfish people who forced the club to make up the rules but my biggest gripe is their persistence in trying to take the fun factor out of caravanning.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
"No room at the Inn" Still alive and kicking,you could not make it up. Could have been worse ?? You could have cut yourself badly on route....... Then bled to death. Jobsworths first class.
Tea Bag.
PS. I thought you could pay a sum of money,and avail yourselves of the site amenities ie.water/dump etc. Worth checking up on this,then hit them with

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
we booked Chatsworth site a few years ago for a weekend .it started to snow could not get off our road phoned site to say we where stuck ,don't worry says warden its very bad here six inches and still snowing ,will inform club booking ,lots of people cancelled .get a email and a black mark for not giving them 72 hrs ..had a problem with Hitler at scarbrough not a member now ...

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We have tickets for the saturday to go into the park which we access from the cc ste and turn left we don't know about another entrance.
We've stayed there, little ones birthday treat was Longleat. It is a very nice site, and we had a great time. You do know that there is a slightly different route in if you don't have park tickets don't you?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have tickets for the saturday to go into the park which we access from the cc ste and turn left we don't know about another entrance.
You can only enter through the main entrance for days when you have a valid park pass, so if you intend to arrive on Friday, you will not be allowed through.
The main roundabout at the entrance, Longleat park will be straight ahead, you go right. In about a mile, there are brown signs for the CC site. Essentially, you go for about 3/4 miles and then turn left. It isn't tricky, but it is narrow! :D

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Many thanks for your advice.jan&mike.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@teabags I think you will find it is the camping and caravanning club that offers the facilities for a few hours to members. There is a cost ofcourse but I used when touring Scotland a few years ago, and found it useful.

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
How come the CC sites are all so booked up?

Is it because you dont have to pay a deposit so people book "just in case" then cancel a few days before?

Jen

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
:):)
How come the CC sites are all so booked up?

Is it because you dont have to pay a deposit so people book "just in case" then cancel a few days before?

Jen
I believe it is, yes, you don't get the same problem with the c& cc because you have to pay 30% deposit (I believe) at the time of booking & in full if it's within a certain amount of days before you go...

We've been members of both clubs for years.....only time we've had any 'not so nice' wardens have been at cc sites - but on the whole they are good. I know I don't envy them their job.:)

P.s. We had a letter from the cc yesterday congratulating us on 15 years continuous membership. Did we get a free night or a bit of discount for a few nights???????
Nope......we got a sticker advertising the fact we've been members 15 years:confused::doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back