Importing from Germany is cheaper .. Fact or Fiction ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It may be cheaper to buy NEW in Germany ..

but in my example, second hand prices are not much cheaper..

I bought a 2001 Hymer B644 from Becks, a reputable UK dealer with a full dealer warranty (not insurance)

It cost me £19k.. low mileage, one owner.. full service history.. immaculate.

Broken Link Removed

the first four are slightly cheaper or about the same as I paid.. . the others more expensive, . add the cost and time of going to Germany , bringing it back, having it converted to UK spec. and registering..and MOT.. and if you have a problem, having to go back to Germany for warranty work.

It 'may' be cheaper buying new or nearly new with a pan European warranty.. but older vans outside manufacturers warranty.. I don't see the advantage.. financial or otherwise..

Q the Judge who will prove me wrong.. and of course this is a small sample.. and just one model of van..

HYMER / ERIBA B644

DE - 25761 Büsum
Integrated / Used vehicle
HU 09/2015
94 kW (128 PS)
23,000 EUR
26,080 km
FR 05/2001
Dealer

HYMER / ERIBA B-Klasse 644 G 6 Sitz-und Schlafplätze

DE - 31535 Neustadt a. Rbge
90 kW (122 PS)
25,890 EUR
129,000 km
FR 04/2000
Dealer

New
HYMER / ERIBA B-Klasse 644 G Sat / Solar/Anhängerk./Markise
Broken Link Removed

DE - 56637 Plaidt
109 kW (148 PS)
27,900 EUR
69,100 km
FR 07/2001
Dealer

HYMER / ERIBA Sehr gut erhaltener B 644 grüne Plakette

DE - 50733 Köln
HU 12/2015
90 kW (122 PS)
28,000 EUR
120,501 km
FR 03/1999
Private

HYMER / ERIBA B 644 TOP ZUSTAND

DE - 85290 Geisenfeld
New HU
94 kW (128 PS)
29,900 EUR
90,000 km
FR 03/2001
Dealer

HYMER / ERIBA B644G Automatik Auf Fiat

DE - 73312 Geislingen
HU 05/2016
93 kW (126 PS)
33,500 EUR
92,500 km
FR 05/2002
Private

Deleted User
You've probably demonstrated that after 15 years, residual values level out across Europe.

I suppose that also demonstrates that European buyers lose less money buying and selling their vans (new cost cheaper - 15 year residual value similar)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Here's a little British company - http://www.campervans4u.com/directsource.html - that will source a van for you, do all the importing etc and, they say, save you a couple of grand.
We got our motorhome from a similar importer in Deepcar (now not trading anymore) but we weren't looking for cheaper, just a van that you don't find many of over here, a Westfalia James Cook.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

I bought a 2001 Hymer B644 from Becks, a reputable UK dealer with a full dealer warranty (not insurance)

Broken Link Removed

the first four are slightly cheaper or about the same as I paid.. . the others more expensive, . add the cost and time of going to Germany , bringing it back, having it converted to UK spec. and registering..and MOT.. and if you have a problem, having to go back to Germany for warranty work.

It 'may' be cheaper buying new or nearly new with a pan European warranty.. but older vans outside manufacturers warranty.. I don't see the advantage.. financial or otherwise..

Q the Judge who will prove me wrong.. and of course this is a small sample.. and just one model of van..

HYMER / ERIBA B644

DE - 25761 Büsum
HU 09/2015
94 kW (128 PS)
23,000 EUR
26,080 km
FR 05/2001
Dealer

HYMER / ERIBA B-Klasse 644 G 6 Sitz-und Schlafplätze

DE - 31535 Neustadt a. Rbge
90 kW (122 PS)
25,890 EUR
129,000 km
FR 04/2000
Dealer

New
HYMER / ERIBA B-Klasse 644 G Sat / Solar/Anhängerk./Markise
Broken Link Removed

DE - 56637 Plaidt
109 kW (148 PS)
27,900 EUR
69,100 km
FR 07/2001
Dealer

HYMER / ERIBA Sehr gut erhaltener B 644 grüne Plakette

DE - 50733 Köln
HU 12/2015
90 kW (122 PS)
28,000 EUR
120,501 km
FR 03/1999
Private

HYMER / ERIBA B 644 TOP ZUSTAND

DE - 85290 Geisenfeld
New HU
94 kW (128 PS)
29,900 EUR
90,000 km
FR 03/2001
Dealer

HYMER / ERIBA B644G Automatik Auf Fiat

DE - 73312 Geislingen
HU 05/2016
93 kW (126 PS)
33,500 EUR
92,500 km
FR 05/2002
Private
When you are spending this sort of money is a couple of grand much to not have to traipse around Germany to find and fetch one when you can get one down the road with a uk warranty.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When you are spending this sort of money is a couple of grand much to not have to traipse around Germany to find and fetch one when you can get one down the road with a uk warranty.
I think that's a good point, and given the difference in prices on fifteen year old vehicles isn't huge then the attractions of a local warranty are fairly significant.

However, one Funster I have heard of seems to have done very well buying MHs in Germany and bringing them back here to sell on at a profit after a year or so of use.

Which suggests if you are very good at finding bargains then Germany is probably a good place to look. But for folk like me who pays too much for a bag of sweets at the corner shop this route probably isn't the best one.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
You've probably demonstrated that after 15 years, residual values level out across Europe.

I suppose that also demonstrates that European buyers lose less money buying and selling their vans (new cost cheaper - 15 year residual value similar)

Well that's very nice to know. I hadn't looked at second-hand prices in Germany, but buying new in Germany is certainly considerably cheaper and - in spite of what many people might fear - not at all difficult or fraught with hassle.

There's no way we would have been prepared to fork out the amounts of money demanded for a brand new Hymer in the UK. What this thread seems to suggest, is that should ever decide to trade in our current van in Germany, we might get an amount approaching that which we would get for it in this country, but against a new vehicle with a much lower price! Good to know! I hope I'm right!:)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Spot on.....much younger family's can afford vans in mainland Europe. Our market a disgrace....

I have advertised vans here in winter, had no interest and ended up PX'ing in Germany..ended up with same price as I was advertising it for here...

edit: forgot...... hows about 10,000 lashes and 400 years sound?

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
As a community service - update your avatar to read "Location : Cloud Cuckoo Land". That's obviously where you are if you think Eddie will limit response to a sentence!:eek::whistle::p:giggle:
I am not sure if you are being rude and offensive or simply tongue in cheek, please will you explain? (because it does offend me:mad:)

I know Eddie and he will know the humour in my post, this is why I tagged him

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
For us newbies buying from Europe was not really an option.. It was bad enough deciding what we wanted let alone traipsing round Germany trying to decide if we were paying bargain prices or not...
OK we may have ended up spending a bit more than we did but I didn't want a LHD vehicle Or the pain of buying abroad when or if things go wrong.
I think its fair to say as vehicles get older the chances of problems get higher so surely this has to be factored in ?
If buying a near new van the risk should be lower so maybe an easier prospect ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

I thought it was a bargain& about 5 or 6 k under priced when you obtained it.(y)
Friend of mine his son has just shifted a compass ,1994 at 18k .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
This is what they go for here.
A 2003
Broken Link Removed

A 2005

Broken Link Removed

This is why people buy in Germany & import them here.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
For us newbies buying from Europe was not really an option.. It was bad enough deciding what we wanted let alone traipsing round Germany trying to decide if we were paying bargain prices or not...
OK we may have ended up spending a bit more than we did but I didn't want a LHD vehicle Or the pain of buying abroad when or if things go wrong.
I think its fair to say as vehicles get older the chances of problems get higher so surely this has to be factored in ?
If buying a near new van the risk should be lower so maybe an easier prospect ?

A bit?:LOL:

its no different them buying here if new..I've probably saved over £100K over the years ( 9 vans 25 years?)

Go to a show, ID the van, look around, get talking. transfer money pick it up. drive back, register it...Simples:)

I looked at one of the vans mentioned earlier and its £50k cheaper in Germany...

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I'm not sure how this relates but some years ago it became popular to import super bikes into the UK from Europe. Mostly it was simply to save money. But come time to sell on or trade in the bikes were very unpopular with many UK franchised dealers refusing to buy or take the machines in part exchange.

The idea of doing it fizzled out with buyers returning to buying back here in the UK.

Insurance on the machines was more expensive. Only real differences between a UK supplied machine and one from Europe was the direction of the headlight.

Yet still they were cheaper and still few wanted to buy them after a time.

For me it would be the LHD that would be the killer. Those that own them say this makes no odds but they would .

I suppose it must be possible to buy a RHD one from Europe but still it would be classed as an import so that would dictate the value moving forward .

Me ? Well like everyone I want to pay less but I also want to know my money is reasonably safe.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User

That's a cracking price Jim, as well you know - I'm not sure you can do a true comparison based on a specific model, at a given moment in time - simply too many variables...
Someone on MHF recently posted an ad from mobile.de for a 2007 B544 for 30,000euros (£23k ?) that's almost 10k below UK prices.

I don't read too much into it, just hope I'm the lucky person in the market at the right time !

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't read too much into it, just hope I'm the lucky person in the market at the right time !
Nor do I..

my point was that while there are no doubt good second hand deals in Germany you can also find them in the UK.. Germany doesn't have a monopoly on good deals..

plus you don't have the cost and hassle of traipsing around the fatherland .. then driving back and having it made ready for Vosa and passing an MOT.. it all costs, and has to be factored in.

If you go to a UK dealer with no trade in as I did, you have a good chance of negotiating a great deal..
However, I will concede there is a bigger choice of (continental) vans in Germany... and they are generally well looked after.. but many have starship miles on the clock.. Germans do use their vans..

Just to repeat my OP.. I am talking about second hand vans outside makers warranty .. not new.

I have no experience of buying new.. here or abroad.. never had the finances nor the desire to lose so much money in such a short time...

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I too have never had the inclination to buy new. I'm sure folk have their reasons for doing so but spending money like that isn't in my nature.

We had a very short list of potential vans, criteria was four belts, double bed plus bunks or two singles, around 7m long and not British built...
We were resigned to buying abroad then by some miracle our van came up for sale at Simpsons in Great Yarmouth, immaculate, low mileage with history and marketed at a fair price (we did negotiate further).

I was reluctant to buy from Germany, knowing that the vans are often well used and the roads well salted...
Euro was 1.2 when we were looking two years ago.
Today at closer to 1.4, it seems a no-brainer to go abroad, as UK registered vans have not dropped in price by a similar margin.

I was recently talking to a motorhome importer, they said business was very brisk, bringing vans back from Germany three or four times a week. Must say, their vans looked tremendous value compared to similarly priced UK spec vans.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Insurance on the machines was more expensive. Only real differences between a UK supplied machine and one from Europe was the direction of the headlight.

For me it would be the LHD that would be the killer. Those that own them say this makes no odds but they would .
Why would the insurance be dearer ?
They are just insuring a vehicle & where it comes from & who imported it isn't anything to do with them.Probably easier to insure a UK vehicle here using a Spanish company that has a subsidiary in the UK.+ on MIDatabase(y) Less aggro.
I used to drive lhd cars in the UK from age 20ish so were the steering wheel is doesn't really bother me. Never found a problem with moving any on & even sold some direct to left hand drive dealers up in the midlands.Some of them have been in business longer than I have been alive & sell only lhd.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I once had an imported isusi four wheel drive trooper, from Japan , just the same as one from here but better with auto everything and immaculate but it was a hell of a job to insure it at sensible money.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are those that are 'self-imported' classed as grey imports?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
This year I looked at buying a used Hymer picked out three from Germany on their auto trader was then offered a brand new Hymer with most of the extras we wanted for around €33000 less no brainer for us we bought new LHD it's great.
Took a couple of days to get used to driving in the other seat but now doesn't make a lot of problems,I suppose turning left could be but I just keep square at junctions and the missus is usually with me anyway.
Not to worried about resale value as they seem to be pretty good LHD or red and not changing anytime soon.

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
I'm not sure how this relates but some years ago it became popular to import super bikes into the UK from Europe. Mostly it was simply to save money. But come time to sell on or trade in the bikes were very unpopular with many UK franchised dealers refusing to buy or take the machines in part exchange.

The idea of doing it fizzled out with buyers returning to buying back here in the UK.

Yet still they were cheaper and still few wanted to buy them after a time.

I suppose it must be possible to buy a RHD one from Europe but still it would be classed as an import so that would dictate the value moving forward .

Me ? Well like everyone I want to pay less but I also want to know my money is reasonably safe.
I remember this as I have been into bikes for years, I recall that so many people were buying abroad that the UK dealers had no option but to lower their prices. I bought a new Yamaha R1 in 99/2000 for approx £7500, from a UK main franchise dealer. Previously they were going for £9500. The grey imports as they were called gave a kick up the backside to the UK dealers.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I am not sure if you are being rude and offensive or simply tongue in cheek, please will you explain? (because it does offend me:mad:)

I know Eddie and he will know the humour in my post, this is why I tagged him

I'll pm you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back