Would you have any concerns about buying a 1 year old mh? (1 Viewer)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
just wondering what others thoughts are on this which is nothing to do with us but I feel a bit responsible:blush:

Les's brother joined us at Malvern show last week with his caravan......and has decided to change to a motorhome:clap2:, trouble is he doesn't hang around and has put a deposit (two if truth be known, but that's a long story:Eeek:) on a year old van.

The original owner must've lost an awful lot on it and it wasn't taken as a px........it looks unused and has low mileage.....

Would any of you have any concerns ????????

Cheers

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
No, strange I know but Motorhomes are not for everyone, some people buy them use them a couple of times then decide it's not for them, or they are taken ill, so hopefully there will be a genuine reason.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Not really, Debs..... There are a huge amount of similar vans on the market, usually the wrong size/layout etc.. Les' brother would be really unlucky to get a duff one, though it is of course always possible. Presumably it comes with a decent warranty so I don't see a problem expect for the first owner who lost at least 25% on it.

To be honest, if we saw a better van (for us) we would take the plunge even though ours is only 18months old. Not likely to happen, though

(Sent from Old Hall Caister - with the B's and Peter C10 and Angela)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Debs, in general it's not unusual to come across almost used vans, some people buy a motorhome and realise very quickly it's not what they were expecting (or one person in the partnership does!).
Also sadly given the demographic who can buy new, ill health and even death can be a factor.
Then there is the "if only we had..." group who seem to change vans on a whim.

The main thing when purchasing any van, is damp test the hell out of it, check the payload and make sure it's the right layout for you.

Good luck and I hope you get to enjoy many happy nights together.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Think more info required to give an informed opinion. But just because its a year old means not
a lot to be honest

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You would be surprised how many vans get bought and sold within a year.
Some are because the buyer gets the bug but then realise they have the wrong layout and change for that reason.
Others turn up at a dealers on a lovely sunny day, fancy the lifestyle and buy a van. Later reality kicks in and they are busy working, get poor weather and sell it back to the dealer,,

Until they closed down we had a Brownhills branch (later Discover leisure) a few hundred meters away. Knew the staff there and was often told stories why the vans came back... Common one was that one partner loved it and the other hated it.!! :)

When we started motorhoming, I bought 3 in 18 months. !! Trading up from used, bigger van and then bigger and new..

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Our dealers have one in, the layout's where you make up 2 singles with your feet on the front seats. Apparently they used it for one night and she refused to get into it ever again. He returned it with less than 100 miles on it and lost an absolute packet. Personalised number-plate on it too.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Our dealers have one in, the layout's where you make up 2 singles with your feet on the front seats. Apparently they used it for one night and she refused to get into it ever again. He returned it with less than 100 miles on it and lost an absolute packet. Personalised number-plate on it too.

Don't blame her!
sleep comfort on a proper bed the main reason we have vans, probably spend more time in bed in one then doing anything else. No compromise IMO

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We sold our first van after a year's use, we thought we had bought the ideal layout. But after using in all weathers and conditions, and seeing how others use their vans our requirements changed.

I would not have an issue buying a one year old van as all the issues should be sorted and if not then I would walk away.

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We pick our replacement up on Friday after only 5 months of owning this one (although it wasn't new and neither is the next one). As has already been said layout change is required. We really thought we had done all the research but 10 days in France showed us it wasn't going to work long term.
We haven't lost any money though, so not all bad.

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
We have already looked at changing our van probably going to leave
it for another year & go over to France for a while next spring.

Perhaps we won't notice the cash loss as much then ?

Our reason for a change of plans are simple we have enjoyed our pvc (28 nights) immensely love the freedom it gives us & think it will be easier to fly Charlie over to Fuertventura for the winter rather than take ferries.

So probably going to look again at the Rapido or the Autocruise we looked at.

Wanted to have a look around at the Nec but knowing we would have changed vans we decided to have a week in Wales to keep us away from temptation

Sorry should have said we wish to up size as we will not be using the pvc as planned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thank you everyone who replied, sorry I've been busy springing Pa from the nursing home & getting him settled back in his home:wasntme:.

Good to know the age wouldn't overly concern anyone, I don't feel so panicky now....& especially for Eddie (who is as nosey as me) it's an Auto Sleeper Broadway EK @Judgemental :D

Upvote 0

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We are changing our 2 year old MH before the spring. We simply didn't learn the mistakes we had made when we bought our first caravan.
I want to do away with the making up and deconstructing the bed so the u shaped lounge will be a thing of the past. I want a garage, fed up with grovelling around in a Fiamma back box and I want a spare tyre not a gunk kit!
All these wants is going to cost us but I know we will enjoy our motor homing more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Les's brother (Dave) has been a caravanner for 20 odd years (like us) so hopefully he has some understanding about layouts/bedmaking etc.

However he has quite a few health issues, my sis in law is leaning more towards them going for an automatic. The one they're looking at is a manual and something else she's a bit unsure of is how comfortable he'll be on a longer drive....he's not overly tall but has a very long body so always finds head room is an issue in almost all cars (he obviously should've been 6'7"). He found that the blinds in the cab restrictes his view, I did tell him he'd be better with an A class but he's not keen.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Not really, Debs..... There are a huge amount of similar vans on the market, usually the wrong size/layout etc.. Les' brother would be really unlucky to get a duff one, though it is of course always possible. Presumably it comes with a decent warranty so I don't see a problem expect for the first owner who lost at least 25% on it.

To be honest, if we saw a better van (for us) we would take the plunge even though ours is only 18months old. Not likely to happen, though

(Sent from Old Hall Caister - with the B's and Peter C10 and Angela)
Enjoy! We will have to have a trip up over there soon(y):)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
6.7? I would get him to look at A class or at least vans with high roofs
He's about 5'10" but 6'7" when sitting IYSWIM:ROFLMAO:........just v v long in the body:LOL:.
He's got the bit between his teeth about getting a van asap.....who knows, they might go for this one then end up changing next year;)

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
He's about 5'10" but 6'7" when sitting IYSWIM:ROFLMAO:........just v v long in the body:LOL:.
He's got the bit between his teeth about getting a van asap.....who knows, they might go for this one then end up changing next year;)

Oh dear..give him a slap and get him to sober up:)

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We're the same as others in that the layout colour scheme we have is wrong. We've only owned our MH a few months but will more than likely change it - its a little over a year old. We decided that we would like an island bed, not two singles with an infill. We've also found that ivory seats are not the best choice when you have a very active dog!

Upvote 0

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Ours was a year old when we bought it - with less than 50 miles on the clock o_O

It still had the plastic wrapping on the mattress.

Ten years on and it's still going strong. The only related problem we had was that the tyres needing replacing earlier than they should because it had been stood for that length of time and cracks appeared.

Upvote 0

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We bought a 9 month old caravan, only been used 2 weeks! Was beautiful we saved a fortune.
FIL sadly passed away on holiday in Spain so had to sell his almost new timberland.
Our current van was 18 months old, hardly used 2,500 on clock. Private sale from someone in London, apparently couple split up no longer wanted the van. Dont know if that was the truth but Warranty still in place so weren't worried. 2 years on no problems.
So yes, we would. Some people have more money than sense and others just don't make the right choice (easy done).

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had a fair few MHs/campers and the shortest times we had one was 18 months -we only got shot because of the continuous problems with it and the awful heating ... it was bl**dy freezing! Since then I think the shortest stint has been 2.5 years and the longest nearly 4 years.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
FWIW I don't think the first MH is ever 'just right' and buying SH makes a lot more sense than buying new. We came to MHs with nearly 30 years tugging experience & therefore a lot of knowledge of the right layout for us. We thought we had it sorted but we're now on our third (SH) motorhome and now it IS right. For us.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We will be moving permanently to France in the near future, so, we have decided to replace our van with a LHD model. We will keep the same layout as ours, if we can find one, 2 1/2 years on and it is still perfect for us. But, maybe an A class this time. Same amount of space but in a shorter body.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Its an expensive mistake buying the wrong van for whatever reason. Make sure the layout, size, and payload are what you want/need.
Lots of good nearly new vans around.
Phil
They have been caravanners for 20 odd years so are happy they've got the right layout, size is restricted due to the parking area/access:)

They, like lots of us caravanners, have had build/damp issues so they were just a little bit concerned as to whether they were buying something with unresolved problems....they don't want the hassle after this last caravan....

It does seem that lots of folk do change their units quite quickly which should give them a bit of peace of mind:)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back