Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi. From what I can gather from the forum there is a plethora of tap types in France and you need a range of adaptors. I carry two hoses, one of which is fitted with a rubber adaptor which will squeeze over a small household tap and one which is the screw on type you see on most UK sites and CL's. Any what other adapters I will need? I presume its best to wait until we get there and if so which are the best supermarkets to get them from. Also what about the rest of Europe in particular Germany, Italy, Switzeraland and Austria.

Thanks</SPAN>

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi I have only had to use the normal screw on type in France and Spain can,t help with your other countries yet, but in France the BRICOMART stores like B & Q have all you will need, for Electrics you will need both 2 & 3 pin conectors both poss/neg & neg/poss as you never know what you will get a tester is important to check. Peter :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Same as the UK ..

Buy a Hozelock end for your hose and the screw on tap connector
the most common sizes are 1/2" and 3/4" .

Link Removed

1/2" 3/4" tap connector
2175.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi.

Thanks for that. I have all the electrical stuff thanks. I think the conector I have must be the 3/4" one. Is that the standard one you always find over here? So I guess I just need the 1/2" one as well then

cheers
Barry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think the conector I have must be the 3/4" one. Is that the standard one you always find over here? So I guess I just need the 1/2" one as well then

cheers
Barry

Hi Barry
3/4 is fairly standard all over, I did come across one in Germany that was 1" ..

you may find a push on rubber connector useful at some of the aires.. or if your trying to get water from a hand basin at a public toilet ..

Jim

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I was laughed at on a recent forum about which hose do you use for getting water and I replied that a 10 litre watering can does me as I cant be bothered with hoses and your post just goes to show that I am not as stupid as I can be.My watering can fits all taps universally and I never have to move the van close to the tap for water, my can also works in mountain streams ,Fuentes and Cemeteries. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I was laughed at on a recent forum about which hose do you use for getting water and I replied that a 10 litre watering can does me as I cant be bothered with hoses and your post just goes to show that I am not as stupid as I can be.My watering can fits all taps universally and I never have to move the van close to the tap for water, my can also works in mountain streams ,Fuentes and Cemeteries. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

dito :thumb:

Ralph

sandyketton

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
South West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Eight years but ten years tugging in an earlier life

I've just got back from three weeks in France and used nothing but the watering can. Wonderful bit of kit!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
"I've just got back from three weeks in France and used nothing but the watering can. Wonderful bit of kit! "

We use a watering can, just keep topping up.

bushman51

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Mainly France
Funster No
Exp
30+
Germany, Italy, Switzerland and Austria have pretty much the same as France: 3/4" taps (with some expections in Germany where you might see 1 " taps). I came across some 1/2 " taps in Spain, whereas 3/4" is the rule there, too.

In France, you may find some "push taps". There, no screw-on system work. Simply slide your plastic hose over the tap, at the same time fix the push button with a strap that you wrap around so that you don't have to press all the time.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
And by the way....talking of water in France:

"Eau potable" means you can drink it
"Eau non potable"..... obviously means you can't drink it!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Thanks all and thanks Frankie for the translation. I hear the water in France is perfectly ok to drink, not sure about other countries though. Frankie, Im going to try and get an Internet Max and Mobicart sim from Orange. As a local I dont suppose you know anything about them do you?

Not so hot about the watering can idea. a 10 litre can will take 10 trips to fill my vans tank. Sounds like attachments wont be a major issue anyway and thanks for the tip about strapping the button down on the taps without handles (whoever that was)

Cheers:Smile::Smile:
Barry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not so hot about the watering can idea. a 10 litre can will take 10 trips to fill my vans tank.

Barry

Well, there are times when a watering can is useful because the tap is too far away for the hose, ( I carry 2 x 30mt ) and can't get the RV closer .. but it's a last resort, filling a 325 lt tank takes a long time, a volunteer is best :winky: .. :roflmto::roflmto:

DSC_5232_edited-1.jpg

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Great picture. So 325 litres with a 10 litre can, assuming in its a Knockout style you slop a bit each trip and say the tap is 100 metres away thats at least 30 trips to fill up x 100 metres. Isnt that nearly two miles. I think the next tap that I could reach with the van would have to be at least 50 miles away before I wouldnt consider not driving off and filling up with the hose:Smile:!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Thanks all and thanks Frankie for the translation. I hear the water in France is perfectly ok to drink, not sure about other countries though. Frankie, Im going to try and get an Internet Max and Mobicart sim from Orange. As a local I dont suppose you know anything about them do you?

Cheers:Smile::Smile:
Barry

Hi Barry!

Even if the water is OK to drink you might find this written just over a tap because a few years ago water was not drinkable everywhere in France . So they still precise it is drinkable.That is in may be 90% of the territory

But there are still old little villages (ie in the mountains) where there is not drinkable water all over the place, and you might find fountains in the middle of the village with undrinkable water. You 're supposed to use that water to clean the clothes , and people use it too to wash the street in front of their entrance door.

I had to have a look on internet to know what is "internet max":RollEyes: The main problem you 'll have, is that Orange asks for a postal address in france even with a pay and go sim card. Because of terrorism they want to know who is using the sim card.
I don't know much about getting internet max, it's quite new and never had to wonder about it. i must admit i've asked Orange many times about internet and sim cards for foreigners but as i'm quite impervious to technical explanations :Eeek::Eeek:, i don't even try to remember the informations ! I'm completly useless with the whole stuff:Blush::Blush:
I'm very sorry....i guess Scotjimland will be much more helpfull, won't you Jim?..... shame on me!:RollEyes::RollEyes::Blush:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

retep

Free Member
May 9, 2008
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
We use an aquaroll which is stored in the shower room when en route. saves moving the van. We get some funny looks from our European friends.:Eeek:

Peter:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi Barry!

Even if the water is OK to drink you might find this written just over a tap because a few years ago water was not drinkable everywhere in France . So they still precise it is drinkable.That is in may be 90% of the territory

But there are still old little villages (ie in the mountains) where there is not drinkable water all over the place, and you might find fountains in the middle of the village with undrinkable water. You 're supposed to use that water to clean the clothes , and people use it too to wash the street in front of their entrance door.

I had to have a look on internet to know what is "internet max":RollEyes: The main problem you 'll have, is that Orange asks for a postal address in france even with a pay and go sim card. Because of terrorism they want to know who is using the sim card.
I don't know much about getting internet max, it's quite new and never had to wonder about it. i must admit i've asked Orange many times about internet and sim cards for foreigners but as i'm quite impervious to technical explanations :Eeek::Eeek:, i don't even try to remember the informations ! I'm completly useless with the whole stuff:Blush::Blush:
I'm very sorry....i guess Scotjimland will be much more helpfull, won't you Jim?..... shame on me!:RollEyes::RollEyes::Blush:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Thanks Frankie.

Sounds as if most of its ok to drink. Will tackle the internet when we arrive. I am quite technical but dont speak very much French but will have a go!:Smile:

bushman51

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Mainly France
Funster No
Exp
30+
.. thanks for the tip about strapping the button down on the taps without handles (whoever that was)...

That was me... :Smile:

About "eau non potable" in France: This is just for safety/legal reasons. I have filled up my tank often from such sources. Or do you really believe the French have two different water systems in their towns and villages (one drinkable and the other one not)? I don't.

Another thing is that the French don't give too much for hygiene. I have often seen that someone cleaned his Thetford tank using the potable water tap :Eeek: An easy remedy: Before use, clean it not only with water but also with "Eau Javel" (chlorine), every French/Spanish/Portugese supermarket sells it for peanuts, it's also good for cleaning your sink and especially efficient if you add it to your waste water tank (nice smell as you empty it).

About Switzerland (where I am from): If ever you see a public water fountain: Help yourself with it, it's ALWAYS potable (if not in really very, very rare cases it says something else)! I even know of villages that have two separate taps: One for normal potable water, the other one for the local mineral water - for free in otherwise charging for everything Switzerland. Nice, isn't it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
That was me... :Smile:

About "eau non potable" in France: This is just for safety/legal reasons. I have filled up my tank often from such sources. Or do you really believe the French have two different water systems in their towns and villages (one drinkable and the other one not)? I don't.

Another thing is that the French don't give too much for hygiene. I have often seen that someone cleaned his Thetford tank using the potable water tap :Eeek: An easy remedy: Before use, clean it not only with water but also with "Eau Javel" (chlorine), every French/Spanish/Portugese supermarket sells it for peanuts, it's also good for cleaning your sink and especially efficient if you add it to your waste water tank (nice smell as you empty it).

About Switzerland (where I am from): If ever you see a public water fountain: Help yourself with it, it's ALWAYS potable (if not in really very, very rare cases it says something else)! I even know of villages that have two separate taps: One for normal potable water, the other one for the local mineral water - for free in otherwise charging for everything Switzerland. Nice, isn't it?

Cheers Bushman

I have no problems with drinking the French water I’m sure its ok. I think we have a tendency to worry too much about hygiene these days and all it does is lower your immune system. If I drink some dodgy water and get the runs, so what! I bought some anti septic wipes for the taps as I heard about people cleaning the thetfords but will look at your suggestion also. As you are from Switzerland what’s it like for wild camping as in seeing a spot by a lake and stopping overnight.

Barry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have often seen that someone cleaned his Thetford tank using the potable water tap :Eeek: An easy remedy: Before use, clean it not only with water but also with "Eau Javel" (chlorine),

Good advice,

I have a spray bottle with diluted bleach for spraying taps. I spray all over and up the spout then run a few litres out before connecting... and France doesn't have a monopoly on this dirty practice.. makes my blood boil :Angry:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
About "eau non potable" in France: This is just for safety/legal reasons. I have filled up my tank often from such sources. Or do you really believe the French have two different water systems in their towns and villages (one drinkable and the other one not)? I don't

:RollEyes::RollEyes::RollEyes: Nothing to do with safety/legal reasons!!!!

IT IS NOT DRINKABLE THAT'S ALL:shout: Now if you don't believe it that's your right ! but don't talk about something you know nothing about . AND i said , in old villages in the mountains for most! Where modern life had no chance to get to. I said about 90% of the territorry , it could be even 95% , has drinkable water OF COURSE!

Amicalement... d'une française qui sait encore ce qu'elle raconte !

Frankie

JeffersonCampervan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2008
Toronto
Funster No
MH
semi-integral & Integral
Exp
Since 1990
"Not so hot about the watering can idea. a 10 litre can will take 10 trips to fill my vans tank. "

My mind boggles :)

Anyway - In the Vogelzng stellplatz in Antwerp the hose connector was too big; in a small aire in France, too small. everwhere else OK. Now have an adaptor for "too small", but not for "too big".

As for the watering can idea, when traveling in Mexico we only use Agua Purificada - sometimes had to buy 20L bottles & self-pour thru a funnel, but usually the water supplier would pour it for us (substantial pesos tip)... beats the hell out of the watering can !:roflmto:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
It's a quintessential English thing .. :winky:
reminds them of being at home in the garden.. :roflmto:

You won't see a Jock (male) lugging 325 lt by hand.. :Doh:

Im English and you certainly wont see me doing it either!!!!:ROFLMAO:

bushman51

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Mainly France
Funster No
Exp
30+
... As you are from Switzerland what’s it like for wild camping as in seeing a spot by a lake and stopping overnight...

I do it anywhere I want in this country - if I find a spot... Remember that Switzerland is densly populated, so finding a spot is really not as easy as for example in France. Also consider that a "no camping" sign is not a recommendation but could have consquences if you "overlook" it. Still, one of my "secret" spots is at Lac Neuchâtel/Ivonand (46.80528°N 6.72632°E), although that there is a "no camping" sign... Generally, nobody minds and it's legally ok if you only overnight in your vehicle.

bushman51

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Mainly France
Funster No
Exp
30+
..Now if you don't believe it that's your right ! but don't talk about something you know nothing about ....Amicalement... d'une française qui sait encore ce qu'elle raconte !

Pourquoi tu t'enervs tellement, Frankie? Calme toi! Je sais aussi de quoi je parle comme je voyage ou même vis tout le temps en France. Mais nous semblons avoir des opinions qui ne sont pas compatibles. Restons quand-mêmes des voisins amicales! D'accord?

Why do you get so excited? Calm down, Frankie! I also know what I'm talking about since I travel or even live most of my time in France. But we obviousely have opinions that are not compatible. Let's stay friendly neighours anyway! Agree?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back