Jan 3, 2009
Sax Alicante
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years
Hola
Has anyone any idea what the padlock sign is on the dash display of my fiat ducato 2.8jtd is. it caused me great probs when returning back home at the chanel tunnel
. The ignition would n't work unless i turned it on several times and the sign disappeared. It was very uncomfy as we were at the head of the queue !!
I assume its a lock out on the engine management thingy but would appreciate any advice on it and what to do. :Sad:
Kind regards
David in Spain

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi I had that sisn come up on my fiat 2.3 The fiat dealer said it was because I had started the engine to soon after I turned on the key so now I wait until all the start up lights have gone out leaving only oil battery warning lights only it has not come back on since but I did not have trouble starting ? Peter:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It signifies that the ECU has not recognised the key code built into the key, its quite a common fault

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

skylark_irl

Free Member
Mar 1, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Hi David,

I may be wrong - and there will be another more qualified along to correct me soon, but this may have something to do with the security system in Fiats.

There are 2 different key types - A red (burgundy) and Black Key. The red one is the security key, and contains a microchip which is like a mast key. The black ones are the day to day keys, and unfortunately, they can fail, and this will cause the security system to refuse to work. You might have just got lucky and it worked again, but sounds like you may be experiencing the first stages of key failure.

Now - if you don't have a red key, you may have a Fiat card with a security code on it, and with this or the Red key, you need to go to your local fiat dealer to get a new key cut.

Best of luck - and hopefully it does'nt fail again.

Michael

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hola
Has anyone any idea what the padlock sign is on the dash display of my fiat

There is a glass capsule transponder in the key. Does the key rattle ? I guess you may have dropped it and it's moved. You can get in them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back