Hymer B644 G .... Table.. any ideas ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The table in our Hymer is great, strong and well made, ... it slides both ways making it easy to gain access to the side seat.. and it locks for travelling.. a great bit of (over ? ) engineering..

however it has an Achilles heel .. you cannot remove it.. and there are occasions when you want more floor space and the option of removing and storing in the garage..

I don't want to take it out and replace with a camp table.. I don't want to butcher it.. but am looking for an elegant solution that retains the Hymer table but makes it removable..

big ask..

.. this is the table ..

20150328_161711.jpg

Last edited:

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We have the same layout as you in our 680 @ScotlandJim and faced the same dilemma. Much as we found the table very robust and sturdy, it was just too big and cumbersome. The idea of making it removable sounds good in theory but as you say, it's very over engineered and the pedestal that it stands on is huge and unless you could make that easily removable too, I doubt you would gain much space. We lived with it for 4 years and then decided that we were going to remove it and replace with something much smaller and lighter but that would still give us the manoeuvrability that we had with the old one. We were shocked to discover that the table and pedestal had a combined weight of around 27kgs - that's an awful lot of hardware to carry in and out when you fancy the floor space!
The option we've gone for is a swan neck and although it's nowhere near as sturdy as the original table, the space and flexibility that we now have more than makes up for it. We've just spent a month away in the van with our new table and we're both really pleased with it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 489
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 494
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 490
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 507
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 503

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
We had the same problem with our 544 we removed the table and carried a collapsible table in the wardrobe and it took seconds to put up to use

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@katv
Hi Kim

I like it.. where did you buy the hardware.... ?

Did you consider using a the existing Hymer top, cut to suit.. . or did you keep it for replacing if you sold the van ?

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Kim

I like it.. where did you buy the hardware.... ?

Did you consider using a the existing Hymer top, cut to suit.. . or did you keep it for replacing if you sold the van ?
We took the easy option and got Peter Hambilton to do it for us. We considered using the existing table and cutting to size but decided to keep it for a possible future sale.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We considered using the existing table and cutting to size but decided to keep it for a possible future sale.

yes.. that's my thinking..

thanks again

had another look.. it wouldn't suit, as there are three of us ..for the present.

we need the full size table for meals.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
we are on the same song sheet..

just been out and removed the table to examine it..

as we need one the same size top, was thinking of just removing the Hymer metalwork and using the top with these legs

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/compact-folding-table-leg-932-p.asp

the table could also be used outside.. so one less table to carry
We considered getting a free standing table or modifying the existing one to free standing as we too could see the merits of being able to use it inside or out. The thing that swayed us against it was that we would then have to look for dedicated storage space to keep it whilst in transit.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Thanks Jim for this thread. It is one of the areas we were worried about when looking for our new van. We like so much about Hymers that they are our first choice but this was a sticking point.
The replies are promising - though I nearly died seeing the prices of some of those pedestals!!!
I look forward to reading - and hopefully seeing pics - of your solution.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Jim for this thread. It is one of the areas we were worried about when looking for our new van. We like so much about Hymers that they are our first choice but this was a sticking point.
The replies are promising - though I nearly died seeing the prices of some of those pedestals!!!
I look forward to reading - and hopefully seeing pics - of your solution.

Have ordered table legs (as per link) from Oleary's .. will post pictures once they are fitted

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We considered getting a free standing table or modifying the existing one to free standing as we too could see the merits of being able to use it inside or out. The thing that swayed us against it was that we would then have to look for dedicated storage space to keep it whilst in transit.

When not in use and while travelling will store in garage .. but may also buy a small craft table from the Range to use occasional when the big one isn't required..

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
My old Auto-sleeper had two of these, one each end of the large table top that stored behind the settee, but I only ever used one of the legs so we could swing it around to get in and out, and it was never a problem, always felt nice and sturdy just on the one leg(y)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My old Auto-sleeper had two of these, one each end of the large table top that stored behind the settee, but I only ever used one of the legs so we could swing it around to get in and out, and it was never a problem, always felt nice and sturdy just on the one leg(y)

Also used the pedestal types .. . and did consider.. also suggested by Tony..

the main benefit of folding legs is being able to use outside..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Have ordered table legs (as per link) from Oleary's .. will post pictures once they are fitted
Only just seen this thread. I recently modified our table by removing the heavy original base (which allowed it to be used as a bed) and fitted Broken Link Removed. The leg is relatively expensive but has an advantage over others in that it locks into the base and the top is clipped so that it can be left in place whilst travelling.

One thing to watch Jim is that your table top isn't hollow at the places you wish to attach your new legs to. The centre of our table top is hollow so I had to glue on a piece of timber to screw in to.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
One thing to watch Jim is that your table top isn't hollow at the places you wish to attach your new legs to. The centre of our table top is hollow so I had to glue on a piece of timber to screw in to.

ha ha .. you must be psychic .. :LOL:

legs arrived today and really pleased with them.. well designed and manufactured.. but as luck would have it, where the fixing screws go is hollow.. damn...

have to visit to Jewsons for a nice piece of hardwood..

these things are sent to try us.. :rolleyes:

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
After two years of owning this hymer
I decided to take the table out (it just slides off the wall fitting)as when we relax it was in the way what a difference so much more room we bought a nice fold up table same colour as our interior looks good
hymer table stored tidily in garage ready for when we sell .

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
........ where the fixing screws go is hollow.. damn...

I was just about to post - be careful regarding the fixing screws because Hymer tables are made of a honeycomb construction to keep weight down. I know because a book fell out of the locker above ours - corner down - and went through the 'formica' top. It's hollow underneath!

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I was just about to post - be careful regarding the fixing screws because Hymer tables are made of a honeycomb construction to keep weight down. I know because a book fell out of the locker above ours - corner down - and went through the 'formica' top. It's hollow underneath!

indeed.. I realised that when I took it out.. but was hoping to catch some of the inside timber that the existing legs framework was screwed into.. no such luck..

The new legs fixing plates are 4" wide.. so will need to glue a piece of timber, about 6 " wide, the length of the table.. will have a look at the local timber yard to see what is available..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
ha ha .. you must be psychic .. :LOL:

legs arrived today and really pleased with them.. well designed and manufactured.. but as luck would have it, where the fixing screws go is hollow.. damn...

these things are sent to try us.. :rolleyes:
Jewsons? Jewsons? Haven't you got a store of "that'll come in useful" offcuts Jim? Shame on you :LOL::LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Jewsons? Jewsons? Haven't you got a store of "that'll come in useful" offcuts Jim? Shame on you :LOL::LOL:
I have but s*ds law dictates that I won't have what I need at the time! :whistle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I changed the tables in our previous Autocruise Accent PVC, Chausson Flash 04 and Rapido 709F.

In the Rapido I removed the extremely heavy and massively over-engineered table and replaced it with the top from an old desk which I cut smaller than the original, on this I fitted a pair of folding table legs so it could be used outside but also put on the wall hanging bracket so it could be left in place during transit with just one of the folding legs deployed.

In the Chausson (1st photo) I removed the wall hung table and fixing and put in a partially circular one on a swan neck arm and a small flip up 'shelf' where the original table had hung, both could be used at the same time or separately.

In the Accent (2nd photo) I removed the original wall hung oblong table and used the table top I'd got for the Chausson which I cut down smaller than the original Accent one.

I'm thinking of removing the existing table top from our current camper as it's a bit long and putting in a slightly shorter one but keeping the width, this will make it easier to get in/out of the side settee for meals etc but I'll leave the pedestal itself as it works fine, it also means I don't have to worry about the original table getting damaged!

Chausson - table with flap.jpg
Accent - table.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
same as me then.. a shed full of 'useful off cuts'.. but none that will do the job.. :rolleyes:
Yeah ... like not having the right sized screws, bolts etc ... always too big or too ruddy small!

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I took the table out of our B544 because we felt it restricted movement and apart from the odd visit from our daughters and grandchildren, we had found that such a huge table was not needed by just the two of us. The bolts fixing the table into the floor are a good example of German engineering! As is the weight of the table and leg. I have no idea how much weight I knocked off the overall weight of the van, but it is considerable. Do we miss it? No. How do we manage? I carry a Lafuma folding table in the double floor space (though it does all fit in the drop down bed too). That is big enough for occasional visitors, but when it is just the two of us, we use a slim but height adjustable folding table. Both are relatively light and can, of course, be used outside too. Gary

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Job completed.. folding legs from O'leary's are excellent.. I bought a piece of hardwood from Jewsons' and glued to the base with a PU adhesive.

Legs screwed on today and tried in van.. very pleased with it.. in due coarse will give the wood a coat of varnish .. stable and easy to lift in and out of van.. Will store in the between floor locker ..

when stored, the difference to the floor space is amazing..

some photos to show the table and space in the van when stored.

DSCF2298.JPG DSCF2299.JPG DSCF2300.JPG DSCF2301.JPG DSCF2302.JPG DSCF2303.JPG DSCF2304.JPG DSCF2305.JPG

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Job completed.. folding legs from O'leary's are excellent.. I bought a piece of hardwood from Jewsons' and glued to the base with a PU adhesive.

Legs screwed on today and tried in van.. very pleased with it.. in due coarse will give the wood a coat of varnish .. stable and easy to lift in and out of van.. Will store in the between floor locker ..

View attachment 79517 View attachment 79518 View attachment 79519 View attachment 79520 View attachment 79521 View attachment 79522 View attachment 79523 View attachment 79524
Terrific looking job, how much were the legs? Might dig out our table again and give it a go myself, Gary

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!

View attachment 79517 View attachment 79518 View attachment 79519 View attachment 79520 View attachment 79521 View attachment 79522 View attachment 79523 View attachment 79524

Well done Jim that's much betterer ;) Our 584 has had a hinge fitted so the table folds down when not in use, god knows why Hymer didn't do it at the factory, cos I can imagine it would be a right royal pain if it didn't fold:cool:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Only 'downside' is that you can't have the table in situ whilst travelling.. so when you stop for a bite to eat.. not so convenient..

I may look at buying a small table that can be stored in the wardrobe..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back