Fiat Carioca 656 - dometic fridge (1 Viewer)

Daviedubs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2015
midlands
Funster No
MH
just about to get one
Exp
im a newbie
Hi all - we purchased our first motor home last week so please bear with me if I seem to ask some basic question!!

When trying to work out how to operate the dometic fridge I switched it to the 12 volt setting and no light came on so assume it is not operational? I haven't had chance to investigate....or even know where to start!!!
Anyone give me some pointers on what to look for?
Thanks in advance

OP
OP
D

Daviedubs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2015
midlands
Funster No
MH
just about to get one
Exp
im a newbie
Doesn't it run off the leisure battery?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Doesn't it run off the leisure battery?

No, it would drain the leisure battery pretty quickly if it did. As gus-lopez says, 12v is only intended (and wired) for use when driving. Once you stop driving, switch it to gas (or mains electricity on a campsite), unless you're on a ferry or Channel tunnel train.

Before any trip, chill the fridge and contents in advance for a day or two - 12v will only maintain the fridge's current temperature, it won't make it any colder. Better still, put a couple of ice packs in the freezer compartment and transfer them to the main fridge for any long journey or if the outside gets hotter than normal UK summer temperatures.

We have an '05 Carioca 656, which we bought new - we've been juggling and coaxing the Dometic for ten years now.

OP
OP
D

Daviedubs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2015
midlands
Funster No
MH
just about to get one
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks for the info - apologies for possibly asking basic questions but it's all new to me!!

OP
OP
D

Daviedubs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2015
midlands
Funster No
MH
just about to get one
Exp
im a newbie
Just tried it again by starting the engine..... The fridge started but was really noisy the stopped working after about 10 seconds...,,,,,any ideas?
Thanks in advance

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
What is the thermostat set to? If it's on a low setting and the fridge was already cold due to the weather (or you've pre-chilled it on electric or gas) it may already be at the required temperature so it doesn't need to work.

However, describing the fridge as 'noisy' on 12v doesn't sound right. Is your camper new or second-hand? If bought from a dealer there'd surely be some sort of warranty on it.

OP
OP
D

Daviedubs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2015
midlands
Funster No
MH
just about to get one
Exp
im a newbie
It was bought second hand, tried it again and it came on, quietly this time but again only lasted about 10 seconds.....then could not get it to come on again

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
It was bought second hand, tried it again and it came on, quietly this time but again only lasted about 10 seconds.....then could not get it to come on again

if you bought this from a dealer a quick phone call is needed to them to get it checked out.

turn the gas on and see if you get the same result. then try it connected to mains hook up so you have an idea if its purely a 12v issue or the fridge is knacked and needs sorting.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm a little concerned that it's noisy!! There's nothing in the fridge itself capable of making a noise unless it's an AES model & there's relay (or gas valve) chatter. Is it AES & what sort of noise is it making?

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I'm a little concerned that it's noisy!! There's nothing in the fridge itself capable of making a noise unless it's an AES model & there's relay (or gas valve) chatter. Is it AES & what sort of noise is it making?
agree
I have the same vehicle circa 2007
on mains 240 [with the hook up plug in!] and battery, 12v its silent
On gas it clicks a few times then you should hear a plop as the gas lights and then feel a gentle heat from the outside vent
12v with only happen when the engine is running

the nosiest thing is the roar of the flame on gas!!
otherwise silence

OP
OP
D

Daviedubs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2015
midlands
Funster No
MH
just about to get one
Exp
im a newbie
Just been away for two nights - fridge works fine on 240v and Gas......I'm sure we can live without the 12 v......
Thanks for your hrlp

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I think you will find it only works on 12v when the engine is running.. so..........
start your drive by selecting to 12v, when you arrive select 240/gas(y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Has a previous owner fitted a fan inside your fridge vent that only operates when it's on 12v? That would make a humming noise. You can check by removing the top vent on the outside wall of the MH behind where the fridge is.

You definitely can't manage without 12v - ours packed up a few years ago on a summer trip and it was a right royal pain. In our case it was a problem with the fuse/relay board behind the driver's seat which took a while to detect. If there's a possibility that that's the source of your problem you should most definitely contact the dealer because the board was expensive to replace.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back