Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
We were late getting home yesterday, so we decided to call at Tay Barns restaurant for our evening meal. The food was not that bad (not good) but the entertainment watching others eating and talking (often at the same time) was good fun!! It was like eating with the cast of the Jeremy Kyle show. :Eeek::Eeek::swear2:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Where is it?

It's probably no worse than most places where people eat in public. Sadly table manners have disappeared. I don't like to go to carvers type places unless I ca wear a blindfold to avoid seeing people eat and earplugs to avoid hearing their little dealings screaming. I wonder if some customers would've better off given dog bowl

I think manners are what make people pleasant to be with. Lack of manners, the opposite.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
It's a chain so they are here there and wherever ! (inc Coventry and Wigan LOL)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi
The "Ivy ?" Went there once for a meal,and they could not supply me with a "Spoon and scraper". We are all Doomed !
Tea Bag

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Stayed in a Suzuki Hotel in Cairns, staying also were 2 coach loads of Chinese tourists, about 100-120 maybe.
Breakfast was a laugh a minute.
The Tourists just couldn't get the hang of a knife and fork, so a full English presented problems. Bacon rashers were speared then held aloft and nibbled from the bottom up, and the runny Eggs, tackled with gusto, left many a shirt dappled in yoke. Toast was speared, held aloft, a chunk bitten off then replaced on the plate. The bowls of cornflakes were held to the chin and the flakes were sucked into the mouth, lots of slurping and coughing as the flakes went "down the wrong way"
We found out later that the "Tourists" had been given the trip, on the Company, as a reward for their "productivity" in various factories the company owned/ran in China

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi.
I like people watching,often combine it with Bird watching in the supermarket car park.... ( HOUSE MARTINS !!,) nesting under the roof,magic
Tea Bag

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Stayed in a Suzuki Hotel in Cairns, staying also were 2 coach loads of Chinese tourists, about 100-120 maybe.
Breakfast was a laugh a minute.
The Tourists just couldn't get the hang of a knife and fork, so a full English presented problems. Bacon rashers were speared then held aloft and nibbled from the bottom up, and the runny Eggs, tackled with gusto, left many a shirt dappled in yoke. Toast was speared, held aloft, a chunk bitten off then replaced on the plate. The bowls of cornflakes were held to the chin and the flakes were sucked into the mouth, lots of slurping and coughing as the flakes went "down the wrong way"
We found out later that the "Tourists" had been given the trip, on the Company, as a reward for their "productivity" in various factories the company owned/ran in China

You forgot to mention them photographing their meals if it was anything like the coach load I came across in Boppard :LOL:

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
We went to Japan and we were probably the "entertainment". Fab experience but we didn't know what to do with the buffets. Loads of different bowls of stuff we could have been doing the equivalent of putting tomato ketchup on our cornflakes for all we knew! Just tried to watch what everyone else did. Loved it though.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
We were late getting home yesterday, so we decided to call at Tay Barns restaurant for our evening meal. The food was not that bad (not good) but the entertainment watching others eating and talking (often at the same time) was good fun!! It was like eating with the cast of the Jeremy Kyle show. :Eeek::Eeek::swear2:

I don't know how to take a post like this !
Are you saying that your better than the people you were dining with ?
Or maybe your the old couple that sit in the corner of the restaurant looking at others around you and having nothing to say to each other.
God forbid there were also kids there making noise and having fun.
Perhaps you should arrange a private dining session with those worthy of your presence !

Vlad the unimpressed .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We went to Japan and we were probably the "entertainment". Fab experience but we didn't know what to do with the buffets. Loads of different bowls of stuff we could have been doing the equivalent of putting tomato ketchup on our cornflakes for all we knew! Just tried to watch what everyone else did. Loved it though.

We spent a couple of nights in Tokyo a few years back.

We were lost as well.

Even more so back at the hotel when there were Geisha girls serving Guiness during happy hour:D

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi Vlad the unimpressed
That was the post i wanted to pen,but did not have the words,thank you.
Tea Bag

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
I went to Tay Barns near Sheffield last week. I thought the food was ok and good value for money.
It was busy, very noisy and full of seriously obese scruffy adults and badly behaved kids, none of whom with any table manners, Clearly for many the only exercise they had was standing up and going to refil their plates. So I guess I made a value judgement about those people. Isn't that a normal human thing to do?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
When I was a yoof I worked for the Coop in Bolton town centre, it was a big store and loads of girls worked there. In the canteen at lunch time they, mostly girls, could regularly be seen to eat, drink, talk and smoke all at the same time, I kid you not. It was so they could shoot off quickly as go shopping, it was so funny to watch.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi.
Seems like other people,myself included made a "value judgement". Not a problem,i only hope that if in the event of an accident and the only people about are seriously obese scruffy adults,or badly behaved kids.one or all of them will come to my aid. I will not be the one pushing them away. Many could be on their second/third Step parent and never had the "Sheer luxury" YES "Sheer Luxury" of a normal upbringing,that many people take for granted,as regards the "Seriously obese",have a look at the paintings of Titian and some of his mates,no "Size Zero" there,and they sell for MILLIONS.
I was/ am guilty of pidgeon holeing people,big mistake. Merc G-Wagons had just come out years ago,went down to size it up,salesman was eager to get some out on the bricks,us living up in the Peak district would give him a mobile advert,so he was doing as much as possible to get me into one. Chap in casual dress ,came up to me while i was having a poke around it and asked,"How much has he offered on your shogun ?". Me,not wanting to put him down or be rude said the truth. "An offer to good to refuse,i doubt if you can match it", he drifted off. salesman came back and asked what he had said,so told him,salesman... "He is the biggest buyer of shoguns in Liecester..." OOPS. Live and let live,they could be carrying a Donor Card.......... .
Tea Bag.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Or maybe your the old couple that sit in the corner of the restaurant looking at others around you and having nothing to say to each other.
Perhaps you should arrange a private dining session with those worthy of your presence !

Vlad the unimpressed .

Well I've had a think about this post as well and equally given it my consideration, and do you know (I have to admit I do like people watching) last year in a reasonably nice resturant on a Sunday there was a family Mum Dad Children (Baby suckling at the breast) nothing wrong with that when your eating your Sunday Dinner, but what did put me off a bit was the mans shorts showing bits that should really not be on show.

Then there was the story the father in law told in a loud voice about going to the toilet that morning and his turd (his words) not going down the toilet and the dog sniffing around it. The young children were well behaved.

Now I'm not a prude (well maybe a little bit) but if that's the kind of things to be seen I'm with the OP.
As you say we are all different but yes I may be a old fart needing private dining but no we are not all the same, what's wrong with saying so, and I do expect the OP was tongue in cheek.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Chap in casual dress ,came up to me while i was having a poke around it and asked,"How much has he offered on your shogun ?". Me,not wanting to put him down or be rude said the truth. "An offer to good to refuse,i doubt if you can match it", he drifted off. salesman came back and asked what he had said,so told him,salesman... "He is the biggest buyer of shoguns in Liecester..." OOPS. Live and let live,they could be carrying a Donor Card.......... .
I have owned quite a few shoguns over the years, was on first name terms with the dealer principal at our nearest large mitzy garage. anyway I used to often wander into the showroom the day an upgrade or revised model came out dressed scruffy in working jeans. The DP used to send anyone new on the salesteam to "deal with me". more than once a spotty teenager in a cheap suit tried to dismiss me considering me a time waster. Pretty funny really, as when they got bored and left me to it. to harass somebody else, I would knock the DPs door and thrash out a deal. of course he also wanted to know what I thought of the newbies sales technique.

just because I rarely wear a suit and often appear scruffy doesnt make me an underclass waste of space. I actually enjoy people underestimating me and use it to my gain quite often. much prefer the company of intelligent common people to snobs who cant see past their own nose in the air. they know who they are and generally have nothing to prove to anyone else

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007

Did it look anything like this? Broken Link Removed

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I have owned quite a few shoguns over the years, was on first name terms with the dealer principal at our nearest large mitzy garage. anyway I used to often wander into the showroom the day an upgrade or revised model came out dressed scruffy in working jeans. The DP used to send anyone new on the salesteam to "deal with me". more than once a spotty teenager in a cheap suit tried to dismiss me considering me a time waster. Pretty funny really, as when they got bored and left me to it. to harass somebody else, I would knock the DPs door and thrash out a deal. of course he also wanted to know what I thought of the newbies sales technique.

just because I rarely wear a suit and often appear scruffy doesnt make me an underclass waste of space. I actually enjoy people underestimating me and use it to my gain quite often. much prefer the company of intelligent common people to snobs who cant see past their own nose in the air. they know who they are and generally have nothing to prove to anyone else

Lol, think that is a well used routine, a old friend of ours who own's many houses and a couple of factory's I've looked at him and said what on earth are you doing going off on a old push bike and scruffy clothes, oh he says I'm going to a auction to buy a house don't want the price pushed up because they think I've got some money.

Only I couple of weeks ago we met a really nice old gentleman who for the past 14 years had been sleeping under a bench on his indoor market stall, apparently he had a thriving shop had expanded it useing his house as collateral, then Asda opened up by him within months he was homeless, yes he might not be the best dressed but he was a gentleman.

To me it's nothing to do with size or dress but manners.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi Big1,Carol.
I was known as,"Him in the blue overalls"in the village. Went to buy a m/home up in Kirkby in Ashfield,it was not out in the yard,salesman came over to help,told him what i had come to see."It's inside,do you want to see it,it's expensive ?" In we go.it was nice,but a bit big for just two of us to rattle around in,so thanked him and left. A mate from the village went in,chatting away..You guessed it,"Do you know a chap in your village,wears blue overalls? Yes says he. "He was looking at that one,could he afford it ?"..... Yes said Bryan.
Some people i have met,could be,"Dressed down",but could pull a roll of notes out that would choke a donkey
Re a previous post..Titian and his mates the name i was searching for was Ruebens. Ruebenesce/que (your choice) or,voluptuous,sound much nicer than Obese LOL.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Portland

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years

Vlad the unimpressed .
Why do you have to try and make out there is some kind of class aversion or snobbery to this or that we are the grumpy old gets in the corner? We were laughing at the scene IT WAS FUNNY that's all no judgement no snide comments and whats more we like fun as much as anyone. Smile !! life's good :love:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I had a friend in a car club that I went to do some work for years ago, he turned up first at work every morning in work gear, went home last in his battered old metro, what the others didn't realise he was worth an absolute fortune and his weekend plaything was a fully prepared group B Metro 6R4. Don't judge a book by it's cover. (y):LOL:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We LOVE people watching - we often invent stories about them.

You see that chap over there? the one with the dark hair and moustache? well he IS actually Mr Whippy, and those are his wife and his children!

Seriously, that conversation happened between me and the MkI husband in April 1971 whilst on honeymoon, neither of us had stopped doing it when we split up and Pete is exactly the same - we just do it.

It's brill fun wherever you are and whoever you are with - you should try it! I won't tell you the inventions we made about Funsters we've met - they are all rubbish! (the inventions not the people)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Did it look anything like this? Broken Link Removed

Lovely photo .(y)

Hi Big1,Carol.

Re a previous post..Titian and his mates the name i was searching for was Ruebens. Ruebenesce/que (your choice) or,voluptuous,sound much nicer than Obese LOL.
Tea Bag

That's normally only used for women. :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back