US Visa - can you re enter with an esta? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We ve been thinking of going to US for some time with the intention of spending significant time MHing, either renting or possibly buying.

We ve considered getting a full visa, but have heard first hand what a pain the interview is; My sister-in-law ( white, financially secure, middle class christian) spent over 6 hours in the US embassy waiting for hers, during which time she wasnt allowed phone etc and could not take food in.

We would be happy with 3 months at a time but would want to re-enter up to twice a year and are wondering if this is possible with an ESTA ( aka VWP)

We ve been combing the US visa but cant find the answer to the question. Does anyone here know please?

Jon

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Re - entering with an ESTA is no problem, I've done it loads of times - you just need to update the address on line of where you are staying the night that you arrive. Don't know how this works if you are RV'ing but the address of an RV park is similar to a hotel address

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You could contact the embassy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
My sister-in-law ( white, financially secure, middle class christian) spent over 6 hours in the US embassy waiting for hers, during which time she wasnt allowed phone etc and could not take food
Jon
With all due respect - what on earth do those "attributes" have to do with anything :censored: ???

I had my visas renewed in September
Choose the 8am appointment - get in the queue around 7am - make sure all your documents are in order - bring a different photo just in case.
Just make sure you follow all the requirements.

I was out before 9am

Security has changed - phones, kindles etc are allowed.
Food & drinks are available from their snack kiosk.

Do you need a visa?
Broken Link Removed

ESTA Validity:
Broken Link Removed
"Unless revoked, travel authorizations are valid for two years from the date of authorization, or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. The Authorization Approved screen displays your travel authorization expiration date.
Your ESTA authorization is generally valid for multiple trips over a period of two years (starting the date that you are approved) or until your passport expires, whichever comes first*. This means that as long as you received an ESTA authorization to travel, you do not have to reapply during the validity period.
If your ESTA expires while in the U.S. it will not affect your departure.

Security:
http://london.usembassy.gov/visas_security.html

Google is your friend :whistle:
Hope this helps (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We ve been thinking of going to US for some time with the intention of spending significant time MHing, either renting or possibly buying.

We ve considered getting a full visa, but have heard first hand what a pain the interview is; My sister-in-law ( white, financially secure, middle class christian) spent over 6 hours in the US embassy waiting for hers, during which time she wasnt allowed phone etc and could not take food in.

We would be happy with 3 months at a time but would want to re-enter up to twice a year and are wondering if this is possible with an ESTA ( aka VWP)

We ve been combing the US visa but cant find the answer to the question. Does anyone here know please?

Jon

OOOOOO you dont want to go there you will loose the use of your legs and get fat, and did you know they shoot people;):) and and and.

Martin

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
OOOOOO you dont want to go there you will loose the use of your legs and get fat, and did you know they shoot people;):) and and and.

Martin
You have been watching to many " Deliverance films" Going to see my son in a fortnight in Connecticut for Halloween and the fall.
What do the mountain people do for Halloween ? They stay at home and "pumpkin"
Hi Martin, just back from a 6 week trip in the Croatia region. Van performed beautifully.
Regards Phil

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
Estas last 2 years. You can enter as much as you like but be sure to leave the US on time every time. Going there in a fortnight to see my son.
hil
I think you'll find you are not correct. I have a relative who has spent the winter in Florida for past 7 years and on ESTA goes for 90 days, comes out and then returns for another 90 days (the maximum allowed in one year) This year he actually did a 2 week trip to USA in summer and on entering a week ago was challenged at immigration of exceeding his annual allowance.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think you'll find you are not correct. I have a relative who has spent the winter in Florida for past 7 years and on ESTA goes for 90 days, comes out and then returns for another 90 days (the maximum allowed in one year) This year he actually did a 2 week trip to USA in summer and on entering a week ago was challenged at immigration of exceeding his annual allowance.
But the ESTA itself is valid for 2 years. How long you can stay is a different matter - but the number of actual entries is unlimited within that period.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
What I dont understand is - Why do they make it difficult for us to visit?

( no personal remarks please chaps)

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
But the ESTA itself is valid for 2 years. How long you can stay is a different matter - but the number of actual entries is unlimited within that period.
The number of actual entries is unlimited dependant on time spent when you do enter

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
They have rules and they stick to them. I was chief purser on various cruise ships dealing with immigration on a weekly basis It never varies, if it is 90 days then that is it. They dont make it hard, just dont try to bend rules. Queues at immigration are another issue.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
What I dont understand is - Why do they make it difficult for us to visit?

( no personal remarks please chaps)
USA is like a magnet for people from lesser developed countries and the USA want to keep economic migrants out; they do have a differing attitude to security (not necessarily right).

If you are unhappy about immigration queues in USA (as I have been, many, many times) then ask an American about getting into Heathrow on a busy day. Exactly the same experience. The ESTA visa waiver programme has really improved things though, but you are really really lucky to arrive in the baggage hall anytime before your bags have been around the carousel a few times and taken off by the staff and stacked in the middle

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
........correct. I thought that was obvious
Obvious to those that know but thought that the point of the forum is answering queries and being more helpful/informative with clear facts for people investigating something maybe for the first time.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Obvious to those that know but thought that the point of the forum is answering queries and being more helpful/informative with clear facts for people investigating something maybe for the first time.
Correct

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The number of actual entries is unlimited dependant on time spent when you do enter

So, Is there a stipulation of the maximum amount of days in any given period or the life of the ESTA? and is there any guidance regarding how long you need to leave the country prior to re-entry?

Jon

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
So, Is there a stipulation of the maximum amount of days in any given period or the life of the ESTA? and is there any guidance regarding how long you need to leave the country prior to re-entry?

Jon
"Approved ESTA applications are valid for a period of two years, or until the passport expires, whichever comes first, and multiple trips to the United States without the traveler having to re-apply for another ESTA. When traveling to the U.S. with the approved ESTA, you may only stay for up to 90 days at a time - and there should be a reasonable amount of time between visits so that the CBP Officer does not think you are trying to live here. There is no set requirement for how long you must wait between visits." quoted from
Broken Link Removed

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
BEWARE although immigration may accept many 90 days at a time in a year, if one is longer than 180 days in a year in USA there then become a load of other implications under other USA laws like being liable for tax and seen as resident not visitor. Know people caught out with these.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Remember to hand in the green card they give you on entry so they know you left. I forgot once when crossing Canada for the day and I have never had a more torrid time trying to get back in to the US afterwards!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back