Electric underfloor heating in van (1 Viewer)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We are considering downsizing from a coachbuilt to a PVC. And because we want a new van with a comfortmatic gearbox and a specific layout, it is likely we will need to place a factory order.

Looking through the various options list for a Rapido / Dreamer van it is possible to specify 230 volt underfloor heating. Obviously need a hook-up to benefit, but that's frequently what we choose.

I haven't come across electric underfloor heating in a van before.

So the question is does anybody have electric underfloor heating in their van? If so, is it any good? And I haven't yet been able to discover what the power consumption is - but suspect not a lot.

The cost is £390 inc vat. Now although a significant amount of money, and much more than a £20 fan heater or oil-filled radiator, it does have appeal. Especially as we're downsizing and need to reduce the amount of 'clobber' we carry 'just in case'.

Another advantage could be 'airing' the van in winter when parked at home, and possibly creating a frost-free zone too?

Any thoughts?

Mike

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
It sounds great and when I specified our overland van for retirement I plan to have that fitted (although I'm having an inboard genny so it will be the only source of heating)

So that's the question. If you spec that what is the in motion and off site heating option? We have diesel heating right now and it is great for day trips.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Another advantage could be 'airing' the van in winter when parked at home, and possibly creating a frost-free zone too?

Any thoughts?

Mike

Maybe better than you thought, I was told we were not insured if I use any electric heater in the van as it's none standard, electric underfloor solves this problem and better than an electric Truma because no moving parts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Maybe better than you thought, I was told we were not insured if I use any electric heater in the van as it's none standard, electric underfloor solves this problem and better than an electric Truma because no moving parts.

Thanks - that's an interesting point which I hadn't considered! :)

Oh, and I should have said that the underfloor heating would be in ADDITION to a Truma combi boiler for space and water heating. The standard spec is a Truma 4 (gas only), but we're thinking of upping the spec to Combi 6 EH (gas and electric).

We've got diesel space heating in our current van, which we like and is both convenient and frugal; but we're not too concerned about going back to gas, especially if there's electric heating back-up.

Mike

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We had underfloor heating in our first van, a 2008 coachbuilt Burstner. I wouldn't say it was any good for keeping the van warm on a cold day but the floor did feel comfortably warm and pleasant to walk on.

Paul

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have only underfloor heating in my last house in Port Solent to consider never had it it a van. In the house it was brilliant; kick your shoes off and leave them downstairs and they would be toasty by the morning, and of course hot air rises so you have the benefit of the floor acting like a storage radiator. Go for it.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
We had underfloor heating in our first van, a 2008 coachbuilt Burstner. I wouldn't say it was any good for keeping the van warm on a cold day but the floor did feel comfortably warm and pleasant to walk on.

Paul

Paul - I assume it was 230 volt electric? Do you happen to know how much power or current it required? Watts or amps?

Mike

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Got under floor aquatherme system (hybrid of truma and alde) can be run on gas, 230v or a mixture of both. Excellent, especially on the sinuses (I find blown air dries them out ), but as has been said it's a background heat that will keep a warm van warm but pretty rubbish at heating a van from cold.

Dick

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Paul - I assume it was 230 volt electric? Do you happen to know how much power or current it required? Watts or amps?

Mike
As to current, the one on our 12 year old van can be set on the control panel to 0.5kw, 1kw or 2kw hence the choice of being able to use it together with gas. I supposed you set it to suit your EHU.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Wet water probably a better option as van can be used of grid on gas.
had a demountable once with Alde heating plus their underfloor heating.

The best aspect of the underfloor heating was in the shower room

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No experience but it sounds a very good idea. You could walk around in bare feet in winter and have warm tootsies! But I think you would want to specify a secondary system like the Webasto Dualtop for use off EHU and of course hot water.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
No experience but it sounds a very good idea. You could walk around in bare feet in winter and have warm tootsies! But I think you would want to specify a secondary system like the Webasto Dualtop for use off EHU and of course hot water.

Tell me about it..have been up in Sweden in minus 25 deg..... snug as a bug in a rug

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009

The standard heating is a Truma combi 4 (gas only), in addition to the electric underfloor heating. But we're thinking of upgrading it to a Truma 6 EH (electric & gas).

Reactions: DBK
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Mike

In a house/building if it's primary source heating then you work on 150 watts/sq m. In a motorhome with far less actual space to heat I imagine you could get away with less.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
In a house/building if it's primary source heating then you work on 150 watts/sq m. In a motorhome with far less actual space to heat I imagine you could get away with less.

That's rather what I thought. But to be honest I've no idea what to expect in terms of heat generated - will if make a significant difference to the 'room temperature', or will it simply be a case of warmer on the feet? Either way, I think it's probably worth a punt. There are plenty of occasions when a little gentle background warmth would be appreciated, but I realise it's not going to sensibly heat up a freezing van.

Mike

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That's rather what I thought. But to be honest I've no idea what to expect in terms of heat generated - will if make a significant difference to the 'room temperature', or will it simply be a case of warmer on the feet? Either way, I think it's probably worth a punt. There are plenty of occasions when a little gentle background warmth would be appreciated, but I realise it's not going to sensibly heat up a freezing van.

Mike

If it's a proper primary source kit then you won't need anything else. It has to be fitted properly, what's underneath it is just as important as what's on top of it.

The thing you need to be aware of in a motorhome is that if you go that route and you're ever anywhere with no, or not big enough, EHU then you have no heating.

Personally I would recommend an Alde wet system instead.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
As to current, the one on our 12 year old van can be set on the control panel to 0.5kw, 1kw or 2kw hence the choice of being able to use it together with gas. I supposed you set it to suit your EHU.
hya we have the same system in our hymer, if the ehu is weak we set it on low and it just goes in and out on the thermostat and the biggest bonus is no sound.. unlike the fan blow heater. i would have it again if i could afford it.. works just as well on gas or both

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Problem is, I don't think the Alde wet system is available in a PVC. (n)

So we'd have to rely on the Truma for serious warmth.

But I appreciate you point concerning the current available at the EHU - we're used to juggling our appliances dependent on power available. In our current van we carry 2 electric hotplates - one rated at 1,500 watts and the other at just 500 watts. Additionally, we have two electric kettles - a large one at just 1,000 watts and a small one at 600 watts (not to mention a 3rd kettle that goes on the gas!). Also have a Remoska at 400 watts. Two oil-filled radiators - 900 watts and 600 watts - and a fan heater rated at either 1,000 or 2,000 watts. Not forgetting the fridge and the battery charger and all our tech stuff... As I said, we need to downsize and cut back on all the kit!

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
It's available anywhere you want it if you're happy to pay for it.

Well yes.. and no? I've no idea if it can be retro-fitted, but Rapido, for example, don't offer it as a factory option on their PVCs. Nor any of the other size-able main-stream converters, as far as I know.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Well yes.. and no? I've no idea if it can be retro-fitted, but Rapido, for example, don't offer it as a factory option on their PVCs. Nor any of the other size-able main-stream converters, as far as I know.

Perhaps not in brochures but if you're factory speccing a van and want it then ask the question. If they really can't do it then there should be a good reason why not.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I think as a mass producer of modestly priced PVCs they want to keep production relatively simple.

For example, the standard heating on offer is a Truma 4 gas only combi boiler. They offer an option to upgrade to a Truma 6 EH (electric and gas). I asked (out of interest) if I could specify a Combi 4 EH gas AND electric, and the answer was no, only the one alternative upgrade.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Good point made about it being quiet. A big advantage.

Our Dualtop can run on 1000W or 2000W in addition to diesel. The 1000W setting is good enough for all but the coldest UK nights in a 6m PVC. This might give a hint on how much you need although the diesel gives the equivalent of over 6000W. However, you would need to consider how the bed(s) works. Ours slides out so you couldn't fit it underneath I guess.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One thing that occurs to me is - would you have to have the floors uncovered, ie no carpets, in order to get the heat into the PVC? If so, think carefully as a solid floor is not as nice to walk on as carpeting/rugs!

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011

Mike

Yes, the underfloor heating was only when on hookup. I have no idea how much power it used, it was either on or off - no choice of heat settings.

I think it must be quite unusual to have underfloor heating, at least in a coachbuilt, as the chap in the workshops at the dealers said he had never heard of such a thing in 30 years in the business!

Paul

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
One thing that occurs to me is - would you have to have the floors uncovered, ie no carpets, in order to get the heat into the PVC? If so, think carefully as a solid floor is not as nice to walk on as carpeting/rugs!
Although it might seem odd but carpets, if you choose the right sort, can be used with electric underfloor heating.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Good point made about it being quiet. A big advantage.

Our Dualtop can run on 1000W or 2000W in addition to diesel. The 1000W setting is good enough for all but the coldest UK nights in a 6m PVC. This might give a hint on how much you need although the diesel gives the equivalent of over 6000W. However, you would need to consider how the bed(s) works. Ours slides out so you couldn't fit it underneath I guess.

Our current coachbuilt has a 6kw diesel heater (no electric option) and very good it is too. Convenient and frugal, if a tad noisy, especially on start up.

The layout we're after is fixed twin singles in a 5.99 metre van. I know of three that will be available in 2016 - Globecar Globestar 600L, Knaus Boxstar 600 Living, and Rapido Dreamer D58. We've looked at the Globestar 600L - liked it, but ultimately have had to dismiss it. The Knaus is still in the running - just, but the Rapido Dreamer is the favourite. It also happens to be available locally to us.

Broken Link Removed

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our current coachbuilt has a 6kw diesel heater (no electric option) and very good it is too. Convenient and frugal, if a tad noisy, especially on start up.

The layout we're after is fixed twin singles in a 5.99 metre van. I know of three that will be available in 2016 - Globecar Globestar 600L, Knaus Boxstar 600 Living, and Rapido Dreamer D58. We've looked at the Globestar 600L - liked it, but ultimately have had to dismiss it. The Knaus is still in the running - just, but the Rapido Dreamer is the favourite. It also happens to be available locally to us.

Broken Link Removed
Nice van but inevitably having fixed beds in a 6m vehicle means compromises, such as no apparent wardrobe and zero work surfaces around the kitchen. Not for us but if that layout suits then go for it. :)

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Nice van but inevitably having fixed beds in a 6m vehicle means compromises, such as no apparent wardrobe and zero work surfaces around the kitchen. Not for us but if that layout suits then go for it. :)

Yes, I realise the layout is not for everyone. However, it has some similarity to our existing 6-metre coachbuilt, which has a fixed French bed and a front dinette. And the kitchen on the new van is also similar to what we have at the moment. Tend to use the table if extra preparation space is required. The proposed new van has a modest size wardrobe, that has a shallow drop - it's above one of the single beds. I guess the big compromises for us will be the smaller wardrobe and a MUCH smaller bathroom - we've got a vast one-cum-dressing-room, across the back of the coachbuilt.

But we want a narrower 6-metre van, we want twin fixed beds (and we want an automatic gearbox), therefore something has to give; so we intend to see how we get on. In our camping days we were always happiest going minimalist, and now anticipating a similar approach will work for us with a new van. :)

Meant to put a link to the manufacturer's promotional pics: http://www.dreamer-van.co.uk/fourgon-dreamer-d58.php

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back