Help required to top up / charge vehicle battery (1 Viewer)

PCB

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Bailey Compact 520
Exp
Newbie, but was a caravanner
I have a 120w solar panel on the roof which is doing a good job charging my 2 leisure batteries, but the vehicle battery is in need of topping up, so the question is what switch or system do I need to do this (in simple terms please)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
You could simply link the batteries together. The charge will even out by discharging the ones on Solar to the vehicle battery bringing them all to the same level, then the whole bank will charge from the Solar.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
In simple terms. Make sure the ignition is off. Unscrew the battery plugs for each compartment and top up each cell with Ionised (distilled) water, just above the plates.
Wear gasses to protect your eyes and wash off immediately any acid spillage from the battery.
Replace plugs. Job Done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You could simply link the batteries together. The charge will even out by discharging the ones on Solar to the vehicle battery bringing them all to the same level, then the whole bank will charge from the Solar.
Not best advice John. Keeping the cab battery separate from the leisure batteries will ensure the vehicle will start if the leisure batteries are accidentally run down. Besides, other gent only wanted advice on topping up battery level. :)

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have 2 separate supplies from the solar controller , one to leisure batteries & other to the engine battery. Each has a fuse to isolate in it just before the battery connection.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have 2 separate supplies from the solar controller , one to leisure batteries & other to the engine battery. Each has a fuse to isolate in it just before the battery connection.
On my Solar Panel regulator/controller there are also two cables. One from the solar panel and one to the leisure batteries. Even if one of the cables from PCB's controler is going to his cab battery he will be quite safe topping his battery up without disconnecting the supply.

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I have a 120w solar panel on the roof which is doing a good job charging my 2 leisure batteries, but the vehicle battery is in need of topping up, so the question is what switch or system do I need to do this (in simple terms please)
I think you need to fit a battery master ( see Jim's shop ) it's a fit and forget device and you should not have any problems with your vehicle battery.
This year we parked up for 3 weeks in the UK without moving and let the solar panels do what they do best. Granted I have 200watts going into 330amps of batteries, but even drawing 5/7 amps every night from around 5pm to 11pm had no problems. This included wife using hair dryer and hair straighter via inverter.
During the day the battery master feed the vehicle battery from the leisure batteries via solar panel giving me 12.7 in the vehicle battery across the 3 weeks without starting vehicle and using alarm each day and night. Worth every penny.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not best advice John. Keeping the cab battery separate from the leisure batteries will ensure the vehicle will start if the leisure batteries are accidentally run down. Besides, other gent only wanted advice on topping up battery level. :)

Thats how it read Phil, but you know what was meant was topping up the battery CHARGE state hense the mention of the hab battery soc and switch type.

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Look on eBay for duo solar regulator 20amp auto charges both banks of batteries works s treat fit and forget

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Surely if your starter battery is not using any power it should last Weeks if not Months?

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well ours doesn't last long that's for sure but we have the CBE CSB2 or whatever it is as standard so that looks after the engine battery as long as there is solar or something to the hab batteries.

Martin

Upvote 0

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Look on eBay for duo solar regulator 20amp auto charges both banks of batteries works s treat fit and forget

As above, this is what I have fitted in my motorhome;

Broken Link Removed

The above kit allows you to prioritize how much % of charge to each battery.

(y)

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Look in manual by default batt 1 start gets 80% aux 20% but this can be changed 50/50 for example I have mine set 80% aux X2 parallel 2o% aux bat 1 0riginal aux .batt could /should be engine stater batery .but the system is fed buy 250W 12v panel producing 30+most days and the 2 in paralell feed the inverter.and the original battery takes care of the hab lights etc .at any time I can throw a switch to put charge in starter battery plenty of experts on here but this works for me ....successfully :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back