pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
GAS SAFE REGISTER™

Gas Safe Register became the official stamp for gas safety in Great Britain and the Isle of Man on 1 April 2009. CORGI gas registration is not valid or recognised by law in these regions. To work legally on gas appliances and installations you must be on the Gas Safe Register. Get Gas Safe registered now, you can’t work without it.

anyone having gas mantainance or repairs done it will be worth asking if the engineer is gas safe registered as if they arent then any paperwork/certificate will not be valid and the engineer will be working on gas illegally.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
sorry to say this
but i think it a bit of a money making exercise by hmg
you have to pay to move from corgi registration to gas safe registered
which will affect small one man buisinesses
i am lucky my employer pays my fee
but i think the cost is between £130. -£230 for a paper exercise
over 30 years the corgi name was used
people were getting used to it
then they cancel that name
here is another name gas safe registered trips off the tongue easily (not)
leaves the door open to confusion and rip off cons in my opinion

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

It sounds like another short sited adventure on the part of the Government/HSE they originally took the name from the original trade association CORGI to CORGI, I think from memory the first letter "C" changed to make it more official and set it up as an arm of the HSE.

Anyone with any business sense would have surely licensed the name as they knew they would be putting the running of it up for tender every so many years, and thereby the name would have just transferred to the bid winner and the great British public wouldn't have been inconvenienced and it wouldn't have cost millions in advertising to change the name, BUT WHO CARES ITS ONLY OUR MONEY

Hi, I think Motorhomes are exempt from this

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Carefull boys your in Pammy's playground, say anything nasty and she will either beat you up, or mark your Gas assessment paperwork accordingly:Eeek::Eeek:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Geo

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,

Hi, I think Motorhomes are exempt from this

im sure ANYONE working with gas has to be a registered installer/engineer regardless of which type.

i believe bottled/portable gas engineers have to be certified as such and not just as domestic installers/engineers.

im sure pammy can/will verify this.:thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry to say this
but i think it a bit of a money making exercise by hmg
you have to pay to move from corgi registration to gas safe registered
which will affect small one man buisinesses
i am lucky my employer pays my fee
but i think the cost is between £130. -£230 for a paper exercise
over 30 years the corgi name was used
people were getting used to it
then they cancel that name
here is another name gas safe registered trips off the tongue easily (not)
leaves the door open to confusion and rip off cons in my opinion

agreed......its the same guys using the same qualifications to do the same job but the names changed......pointless paper exercise:Doh:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Its not the type of gas that is excluded from the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations, its caravans and a few other vehicles as long as they are not hirer out, so take caravans equals
motorhomes
as long as they are not hired out,

Therefore from my interpretation of the regulations people working on them don't need to be registered.

[LEFT said:
pappajohn[/LEFT];158092]
im
sure ANYONE working with gas has to be a registered installer/engineer regardless of which type.

i believe bottled/portable gas engineers have to be certified as such and not just as domestic installers/engineers.

im
sure
pammy
can/will verify this.:thumb:

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Hi,

Its not the type of gas that is excluded from the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations, its caravans and a few other vehicles as long as they are not hirer out, so take caravans equals
motorhomes
as long as they are not hired out,

Therefore from my interpretation of the regulations people working on them don't need to be registered.

Correct - the actual wording in the Regs is:

(5) Nothing in these Regulations shall apply in relation to the supply of gas to, or anything done in respect of a gas fitting on -

(e) a caravan used for touring otherwise than when hired out in the course of a business.

Here's a little bit about the new Gas Safe Register

Last year, HSE announced changes to the gas engineer registration scheme in Great Britain. The scheme currently operated by CORGI will be replaced on 1 April 2009 by the new Gas Safe Register™ (operated by Capita). The Gas Safe Register will be the only gas engineer registration scheme approved by HSE from 1 April under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. All gas engineers wanting to undertake domestic and certain other gas work in Great Britain from 1 April will need, under those Regulations, to be registered with this scheme in order to be able lawfully to carry out any work on gas fittings, which includes gas appliances.

Gas Safe Register will maintain an up-to-date register of gas engineers who are qualified to install or repair gas fittings and appliances.It will have systems in place to check the competence of gas engineers, inspect their work and to deal with complaints about unsafe gas work. The operation of the Gas Safe Register will be overseen by HSE as the regulator with responsibility for gas safety. In the context of domestic gas safety this means that from 1 April, in order to ensure that gas engineers are lawfully able to carry out the gas work, domestic users of gas should ask for a Gas Safe Registered Engineer and not any other. The CORGI register will no longer count for those purposes.

The Gas Safe Register opened on Monday 19th January for currently registered gas engineers to register in advance with new scheme by telephone or through the website: Gas Safe Register - make sure your gas engineer is registered[1].

Hope you find the info useful.

As far as motorhomes/caravans are concerned - watch this space - I'm sure something is looming:cry:

Pammy

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

(5) Nothing in these Regulations shall apply in relation to the supply of gas to, or anything done in respect of a gas fitting on -

(e) a caravan used for touring otherwise than when hired out in the course of a business.

so basicly my 85year old mother in law could theoreticley fit me a new gas fridge in the van and if something went wrong and i died of CO poisoning theres nothing, apart from the criminal courts side of things, anyone could do to her.

is it not the same poisonous gas as a domestic appliance could give off ...'course it is!

the laws an a**ehole.:Angry:

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years

so basicly my 85year old mother in law could theoreticley fit me a new gas fridge in the van and if something went wrong and i died of CO poisoning theres nothing, apart from the criminal courts side of things, anyone could do to her.

What do you want to happen then? There was a case a few years ago when a guy was sent to court for installing his own gas boiler - the judge asked the prosecution if the installation was 'sound' and the answer was 'yes - there was nothing wrong at all with the installation' - the Judge threw it out as there was 'No case to answer then'.

But before you all go out to buy and install your own boilers bear this in mind. Should a person fit their own gas appliance and it proves 'not sound' and that person kills someone as a result of it - God help them - the fines and the jail sentance are steep to say the least

is it not the same poisonous gas as a domestic appliance could give off ...'course it is!

This has been my argument for years John - and when I brought this up again only a couple of weeks ago to our Cert Body they came back with the answer of "Watch this space - are you going to the Conferance in July?" My reply was "yes" they winked:winky: So somethings coming - and in my opinion not before time - I'll now put on my tin hat:Eeek::Doh::cry:

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Gas

Its important to know that gas through your main and LPG is very different gas. A Corgi/Gas Safe engineer is very unlikely to have ever worked on LPG and very few carry the Corgi/Gas Safe LPG papers.

Its much more important to have an engineer that has worked on LPG and understands it. Picking a Corgi/Gas safe engineer isn't likely to give you this. Get yourself a caravan/motorhome engineer and they should know what they are doing.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i always thought corgi couldn,t work on m,homes. i was understanding they could work on caravans or site homes. but not m,homes. was it true or am i dreaming it? there is a world of difference in the laws of m,homes n caravans . same gas as houses but we dont make the rules.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

the laws an a**ehole.:Angry:
Give the ol girl a break John
have you not got any nieces who could do the job:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Pammy,

i have a lifetime HSE prohibition order on my head for 'removing' a gas fire for the chimney sweep.
the tenants had complained of symptoms of gas poisoning and the hospital called in the HSE....as they are required to do so i'v been told.

just so happened they (HSE)visited when the chimney sweep was there.

the guy in charge went off on one:Eeek:real stroppy ba**ard.:Angry:
when i asked what the problem was with removal and not installing they asked how i tested the system to ensure no gas leaks....
i couldnt answer as i hadnt but would have when the fire went back.
the same way the plumbers do....leak detector spray.

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Its important to know that gas through your main and LPG is very different gas. A Corgi/Gas Safe engineer is very unlikely to have ever worked on LPG and very few carry the Corgi/Gas Safe LPG papers.

Its much more important to have an engineer that has worked on LPG and understands it. Picking a Corgi/Gas safe engineer isn't likely to give you this. Get yourself a caravan/motorhome engineer and they should know what they are doing.

There are three types of LPG Gas categories.

LPG RPH = LPG Certification for Residental Park Homes - (Statics)
LPG - PD = LPG Certification for Permanent Dwellings (Brick type houses only with LPG tanks and not Domestic Natural Gas mains)
LPG -LAV = LPG Certification for Leisure Accommodation Vehicles (Rolling Shells)

A lot of Corgi/Gas Safe Registered Engineers will do the Natural Gas certification and then do the changeover from Nat Gas to LPG. So say, a gas engineer has the Natural Gas Safety and 4 appliances (Fires, Cookers, Boilers and Water Heaters) when he does the changeover to LPG he will be able to do the appliances as well in the Residental Park Homes and Permanent Dwellings

If though the engineer wants to work on the Leisure Accomodation Vehicles, once he has done the changeover he will then only be able to do gas safety checks. If he wants to work on the caravan appliances then he will have to prove compentency for each type of appliance he wants to work on ie, Fridges, boilers, water heaters.

There are more Corgi/Gas Safe engineers working on this type of gas than you imagine.

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
i always thought corgi couldn,t work on m,homes. i was understanding they could work on caravans or site homes. but not m,homes. was it true or am i dreaming it? there is a world of difference in the laws of m,homes n caravans . same gas as houses but we dont make the rules.

The following regulation in the Gas Safety (Installation and use) Regulations 1998 states:

"No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so".

Here you go, have a read:

Statutory Instrument 1998 No. 2451

It'll blow your mind:ROFLMAO:

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
the same way the plumbers do....leak detector spray.[/QUOTE]

John, I think you mean
the same way the gas fitters do (plumbers are not allowed to take fires out either):ROFLMAO::Doh:

but yes, leak detector spray and of course, the good new gas analyser tests that they have to do now and prove competency in before they can use them.:Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hello pammy .as i wrote earlier general interpretation and application .sec.5 a...self propeled vehicle not conected to abussiness. not covered by the instruments. we can fix our own or somebody elses camper. the rules dont appear to apply sometimes. makes you smile really.

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
hello pammy .as i wrote earlier general interpretation and application .sec.5 a...self propeled vehicle not conected to abussiness. not covered by the instruments. we can fix our own or somebody elses camper. the rules dont appear to apply sometimes. makes you smile really.

There are a lot of grey areas to the regs, but this area just 'beggers belief'. :Sad:

You know who the most dangerous people are? They're the ones that used to be gas certificated but are not now. They think just because they used to work on gas nothings changed so they go head long into the appliance and then make the most hellish job. People such as yourself that probably will have a look at a possible problem will take the time to investigate and read up/ask questions first before trying to tackle the problem. That doesn't make it right in my book of course. :Sad:

Like I said though something is brewing I think in this area and hopefully I will be able to report back fully after July 8th.:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
my local gasman has just been up in court he was caught in the local park " inflagrante" with a dog.the judge has let him off without even a caution they say he cannot be touched as he is corgi registered:Doh::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
pammy ,i dont disagree with you ,it would be great to have sensible rules but it will have to be wait n see. i always struggle when someone does a habitation check for the insurance yet when asked what qualifications he has for m,homes cant tell me (for lpg). yet still insurances ask for the certificate sometimes.

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
pammy ,i dont disagree with you ,it would be great to have sensible rules but it will have to be wait n see. i always struggle when someone does a habitation check for the insurance yet when asked what qualifications he has for m,homes cant tell me (for lpg). yet still insurances ask for the certificate sometimes.

Mark (CLS) does habitation checks and is certificated for LPG gas in motorhomes - he is mobile so pm him next time you need this doing.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back