Free Member
Apr 19, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
not long in this one
Hi to you all , hope everyone is enjoying the good weather , right then , myself and the better half are off to france on the 28 of june for 2 weeks , it is our first trip away in our old motorhome , as i am new to this is there anything i need to bring ,ie cable for electric hook up , is it the same over there , do i need to do something to my lightd etc etc any advice would be well recieved
cheers
paul

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Paul
some of the hook ups in France are the same some are not,
you will need a euro 2 pin plug on a short lead with a blue 16 amp socket on the other end Ie a euro to uk converter, you can buy them ready made from and camper shop.
some folk might warn you of reversed polarity in France and you should really check it before you plug in,(recomended ) but not vital, things will work normaly. you should also take a good selection of hose pipe tap conectors and about 30 foot of hose more, if you have space
Headlight beam benders are a requirement for France, if you find fitting them complicated pop into your local MoT station and ask them to set them up on the beam tester, If the guy has never fitted any, tell him you are aiming to get rid of the kick off to the left and leave just a flat line at the top of the light pattern,in that language he will know what you need him to achive:thumb:
Bon Voyage
Geo

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
France - first time

Hi Paul,

What Geo says is good advice, I also take a 2nd hook-up cable, some EHU points can be more than 25 metres from your pitch.

We also put our High Vis waistcoats over the back of driver and passenger seat, so the local force can see you have them. If stoped on anyroad by the authorities, always put your highvis on BEFORE steping out of your rig.

You will also need two sets of red triangles, (we hope you do not break down) spare sets of specs, if you ware them, first aid kit, and a fire extinguisher....I think thats all from a road legal point.

Its also a good idea to make photocopies of all important documents, and keep in a safe place, seperate from originals, such as pasport, licience part 2, insurance cert. other than that, just enjoy.

Nomadic
:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Ant Powder for around the wheels, stops the little ******** getting into the van. and the fly spray for all flying insects.
Enjoy.:ROFLMAO:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
You will need to take the original V5 registration document as well as the current MOT and Insurance certificicates, copies will not be accepted. A spare set of bulbs will also be needed as will a suitable corkscrew and bottle opener. Most importantly take your time and enjoy.

OP
OP
T

thepadster

Free Member
Apr 19, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
not long in this one
cheers

Thanks a lot you guys , will start getting the needed stuff together asap , thanks a lot
, take care

bushman51

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Mainly France
Funster No
Exp
30+
Two sets of triangles, that's for Spain! Never seen a French stepping out of the vehicle with such a vest on. Fire extinguisher and pharmacy...??? I remember having been stopped down in Kenya by a police man 30 years ago. He wanted to see them - only to find out that he actually was looking for a free cigarette. But in France...? I really, really doubt. Sorry, I didn't want to be rude...

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Its worth making sure the First Aid kit is a suitably approved one. Not sure if France needs it to be, but certainly Germany does so if you plan to travel to other places in the future then worth getting the right one first time.

They also have to remain sealed in Germany, so you can't use it as your general first aid kit.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Two sets of triangles, that's for Spain! Never seen a French stepping out of the vehicle with such a vest on. Fire extinguisher and pharmacy...??? I remember having been stopped down in Kenya by a police man 30 years ago. He wanted to see them - only to find out that he actually was looking for a free cigarette. But in France...? I really, really doubt. Sorry, I didn't want to be rude...

I have, 2007, Paris ring road, triangles and HV vests.

Nomadic

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
When I was researching for our recent trip it did say something about using the second one only when it was safe to place it.

When is it ever safe to walk down the highway :lol:

Probably just pandering to the EU and not enforing it.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Hi to you all , hope everyone is enjoying the good weather , right then , myself and the better half are off to france on the 28 of june for 2 weeks , it is our first trip away in our old motorhome , as i am new to this is there anything i need to bring ,ie cable for electric hook up , is it the same over there , do i need to do something to my lightd etc etc any advice would be well recieved
cheers
paul
No mentionof having an Aires location book or ACSI card and book? worth having and will save you a few ££
If not buy from Vicarious book on line Have a great time and call at Bergerac if you are there. I love it there:Eeek:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Thanks for this! I never see the French using only one. And I'm in France almost every day :RollEyes:

Hummmm...... change your glasses then.... we all use it , and ...i live in france , every single day of my life.....being french:RollEyes:

Amicalement:ROFLMAO:

Frankie:Smile:::bigsmile::roflmto:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Talking of glasses, I believe you have to carry a spare pair with you if you wear them.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
We are off to Europe in a week’s time for 10 weeks and I have already bought all the paraphernalia discussed here apart from the first aid kit as I just took a half used one out of the house. Are you saying that in Germany I have to have an approved kit that’s not opened? Is this the case for all motor vehicles and is it really enforced? Is it just a case of EU laws gone mad that no police man is ever going to bother to look for?

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Two triangles is a recent change for France IIRC.

Hi!

Don't know where you found that new rule but checked again on official french site just in case and i'm afraid you're wrong: you still need only ONE triangle. Moreover, if you're on a motorway and breakdown, if you think that you're taking a big risk just to put your triangle (and can prove it ,ie pic of the place) then you won't be fined if you don't actually use your triangle and are caught by the police!It's ONLY on motorways!!!!!!!and there's no written rule about it. They just said it on TV news.

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi to all , what is a ACSI card , cheers

Its a book and a pass card you can buy for a tenner that gives you access to hundreds of campsites at a fixed rate of 11, 13 or 15 Euros per night including hookup. Go to www.campingcard.com. They are mainly for out of season use up to around mid July I think and September onwards. Not used ours yet as we are also off to France for the first time next week. May only use it once or twice but from what I can gather some of these campsites charge double those rates normally so you probably only need to use it once or twice to get your money back. It just yet another purchase I have made towards our European adventure along with the hi viz jackets, plug adaptors, aires guides and an enless list of other stuff! This trip has cost me a fortune and I havent even got to Dover yet!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for this! I never see the French using only one. And I'm in France almost every day :RollEyes:

Hummmm...... change your glasses then.... we all use it , and ...i live in france , every single day of my life.....being french:RollEyes:

Amicalement:ROFLMAO:

Frankie:Smile:::bigsmile::roflmto:

hi Frankie, time to take your own advice...new glasses needed :winky: read the post again......"i never see the french using ONLY ONE"....:thumb:

john.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
hi Frankie, time to take your own advice...new glasses needed :winky: read the post again......"i never see the french using ONLY ONE"....:thumb:

john.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: OOPsssss! not a glasses prob John ! Only a bad translation!!!! The way it's written in english if translated word by word gives the opposite meaning in french. I've translated that way: i never see the french using ("only"="even") one

I still have to learn!:RollEyes::cry:

amicalement

Frankie:Smile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back