LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
EC directive tow ball height should be between 350 and 420 mm so it far from right, can you fit a riser plate to it or is the mounting face inside the line of bodywork.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I should imagine it will be difficult if you have a swan neck tow bar?

OP
OP
big dave

big dave

Free Member
Jan 15, 2009
earlswood solihull
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
9 years
Yes it is a swan neck tow bar,i will contact Alco Kober to see if they
can help. I hoped someone else had overcome this problem.

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
can you let the tyres down to lower the trailer;):whistle:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Is it possible to use a height adjustable coupler ?

http://www.bulldogproducts.net/prod...ble-couplers/IcDNSpx3DOQo2VzPHyu4IwWo1W0O0m5u

http://www.carid.com/articles/replace-your-worn-or-wrong-sized-trailer-coupler.html

adjustable-coupler.jpg

adjustable%20coupler_opt.jpeg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you need to look at raising the rear suspension by fitting some sort of spring assisters, such as the air bag thingies.

I don't think you can alter the tow bar, the plates suggested above are now illegal I think and a longer swan neck, even if you could get one would act like a lever and put too much force on the mounting.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I think you need to look at raising the rear suspension by fitting some sort of spring assisters, such as the air bag thingies.

I don't think you can alter the tow bar, the plates suggested above are now illegal I think and a longer swan neck, even if you could get one would act like a lever and put too much force on the mounting.
Wot 'e sed.
Swan neck extension is a no no, but air bags would work a treat. We have them fitted and if I play about with the pressures the back end rises and falls. (y)

Reactions: DBK

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As others above have said, drop plates are now illegal unless the tow bar was type approved/tested with the plate, apologies for the confusion.

Raising suspension would do it but would be quite a lift.

Martin

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So that is a no ?
If you want a definitive answer ask the manufacturer, I've just checked on their website and couldn't see that product but perhaps they do still sell it secretly. But as the OP has a swan neck towball I guess it doesn't matter.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you want a definitive answer ask the manufacturer, I've just checked on their website and couldn't see that product but perhaps they do still sell it secretly. But as the OP has a swan neck towball I guess it doesn't matter.

it's a height adjustable trailer coupler,,, it is not a drop plate, so it can be used with any tow hitch.. including swan necks..

I gave a link.. http://www.bulldogproducts.net/prod...ble-couplers/IcDNSpx3DOQo2VzPHyu4IwWo1W0O0m5u

and not illegal or sold in secret

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Remember that it is also importent to get the 'noise' weight on the ball correct 25-50kg but again check with trailer and hitch supplyer for correct loading.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
it's a height adjustable trailer coupler,,, it is not a drop plate, so it can be used with any tow hitch.. including swan necks..

I gave a link.. http://www.bulldogproducts.net/prod...ble-couplers/IcDNSpx3DOQo2VzPHyu4IwWo1W0O0m5u

and not illegal or sold in secret
Did I ever say it was? I was referring to drop plates and I thought I had answered that. You need to find your off switch so you can work out how stop flogging dead horses. :):):)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
ScotJim has in my opinion suggested the only real solution to your problem the next viable solution would be smaller wheels on the trailer if possible
My Ball is a standard two bolt fitting on an Alko low ride chassis and it sits at 390mm
Jacking up suspension to tow is a non starter really.

Illegal is a strong word, I cant see anyone being locked up for using a drop plate.
If drop plates have such a detrimental effect on an approved tow bar, I suggest all the other toys you fasten to it, ie bike racks box carriers ect would also be "Illegal"
Geo

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
EC Directive 94/20/EC stipulates that a vehicle in ‘laden condition’ should have a towball height of between 350mm and 420mm. Same directive states that a hitch on a trailer \ caravan should have a height of 385mm to 455mm in laden condition.

Heights are measured to centre of tow ball \ tow hitch.

Drop or riser plates can only be used where the towbar fitment has been approved for use of these and the vehicle has also been approved. Some Land Rovers are approved as such.

The OP's towball height of approximately 315mm is outwith the limits (350mm min) set by the Directive. On this basis a discussion should be had with the towbar fitter to understand why the fitment doesn't comply with Directive.

The "desired" towball height of 440mm is also outwith the limits (420mm max) however the tow hitch height of 440mm is within limits.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
The centre point of the towball/coupling to the ground needs to fall within the range of 350mm-420mm, as legislated by EC directive 94/20/EC and subsequently Regulation 55.
This is based on the vehicle being on level ground, handbrake not applied etc..
This criteria does not apply to ‘off-road’ vehicles (Defined by Directive 92/53/EC, Annex II).
It is possible on occasion to use a drop plate providing the towbar has been tested for use with, and it fulfils the towbar mounting and coupling location criteria of the vehicle manufacturer. The drop plate itself would also have to be type approved. Under no circumstances should a riser plate be used.
Again, an adjustable height tow hitch would only be permitted if the towbar itself was tested & approved for use with the adjustable height unit, and that this unit was approved in its own right, or tested as a component part of the towbar.

The above was sent to me by my nephew who works for a towbar manufacturer in this country.
He is directly involved in the design, legislation and manufacture of towbars for this large manufacturer.

Hope this is of some use.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Similar conversation has just been going on the self builders forum. He had a panel van, not sure what you have. He couldn't use a riser plate as it would prevent the back doors opening. When he looked at the leaf springs they were knackered and the back end was slumping. He replaced the leaf springs (£300) and this solved the problem.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Why is a riser plate any more illegal than a drop plate, its the mechanics I dont understand if its the same plate the other way around it would depend on the original tow bar design as to the force was transmitted.

Martin

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Why is a riser plate any more illegal than a drop plate, its the mechanics I dont understand if its the same plate the other way around it would depend on the original tow bar design as to the force was transmitted.

Martin

I will make enquiries of my nephew.
Should be seeing him this weekend and will try to get the answer.

From my own take on it, it would appear that a riser plate will allow the trailer to lift the rear of the tow vehicle under braking and will reduce braking efficiency and stability.
As I said, I will get the industry answer as soon as I can.

tattytony

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2010
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Well I am right up the doodoo then, the Brand new MH I bought has a tow bar fitted with a 5" ground clearance and tow ball height of 9" so I have used a raiser plate to get it to 13.6"center ball.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a riser plate will allow the trailer to lift the rear of the tow vehicle under braking
If the trailer brakes are correctly adjusted that shouldnt happen.....the extra lifting motion would be insignificant as the nose of the trailer will impose a downforce on the ball when braking due to the 'see-saw' effect.

Reactions: DBK

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Well I am right up the doodoo then, the Brand new MH I bought has a tow bar fitted with a 5" ground clearance and tow ball height of 9" so I have used a raiser plate to get it to 13.6"center ball.

According to posting above, the new tow bar doesn't fit eu directive. Should not the supplying dealer have known about this?

tattytony

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2010
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
I think they are trying to get the suspension lifted thats why I have no van :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun