Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
When booking ferry I put that we're 6.50m which we are, then it asks are you carrying bikes on the back and asks you to say how much they protrude.
I say 0.50m there is a choice for 0.25m Does this really make a difference?
They have never checked.
Nor did they ask if the gas was turned off,when we came to France yesterday, we have by the way.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It might depend on the ferry, we were measured at Hull last year as they said the boat was really full, it wasn't.

Martrin

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I don`t know if they still do or have......... but.......... some ferry company`s have marks on the road and the first booth you go through on check in from the park they get a rough idea.

And have it logged on their computer when you book in your length...

The first time we took a 5th wheel abroad they did check.. but if anything we were well inside what I had written down.... cos I measured the truck and the trailer seperately ... where by we all know you lose 4-5 ft of the trailer over the back of the truck.. :RollEyes:

But I did not think of that the first time... :doh:::bigsmile:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Two years ago we were measured with a surveyors wheel by Brittany Ferries at Portsmouth.
Last year our length was checked against the grid now marked out in the tarmac approach to
the departure booth. Use of a cycle rack put another £10 on the fare in each direction. Those
found to be over their declared length had to pay extra before they were allowed onto the ferry.
Brisey.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I got measured at Plymouth, once, 16 metres with the trailer. They said they had the wrong reg number and thought I was someone else. When I checked the booking, 2 letters transposed and I never noticed, but they were fine once they married it all together. Never been checked otherwise, but on a full ferry they are very pedantic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
at plymouth i,m ok at portsmouth and santander they always measure .
as a car and caravan they allow 6m and 5 mtr , so 11 mtr total.
my rig is only 10mtr in total so am 1mtr under .
it always brings a smile as it does look longer.
have know them measure one side them up the other as they didnt believe the first one .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but if you want to get to spain brittany ferries are ideal . i payed 389 return left last november came back april . i cant even drive up and down through france for that . never mind the 700miles in uk to the tunnel and back .

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
389 Return pounds or euros ? Didn't know the Golden Hind was back in Service. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
389 pounds return ,no cabins and club discount . had to go out from portsmouth but came back to plymouth. that was using santander as the spanish port.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
at the moment it looks like 205 quid for outgoing this year with a seat. not released later prices yet.
mind you have to pick the right crossing .
i used to drive through france and enjoyed it but in winter its not so nice and its far easier and less wear n tear taking the ferry.

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I am looking at going via Portsmouth to Bilbao on 20th Oct on the Economie service, does any fellow Funster have any discount codes that they would share with me please

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
We met a couple with a type 25 VW, two bikes on a tailgate rack towing a trailer. They asked did we pay extra for our bikes on the rack, no we had not as the van is 7.25 metres, so I book it at 8 metres including the bikes. They had paid extra even though the bikes were between the van and trailer. We use Brittany Ferries a lot, never noticed if we are measured, but it only takes beam to do it

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Has anyone any ideas on the cheapest way to book a ferry to spain, I'm coming up with £700 return on internet that's with a cabin. out in Nov back in march

Oldyamyam

Free Member
May 4, 2012
France
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 1991
We were measured at Portsmouth last summer when travelling with our new van for the first time. The check in assistant said he didn't believe the length we had entered was correct, so he came out of his kiosk and checked against the marks on the tarmac.
He looked really disappointed when he found that we had actually entered the next length up.
I wonder if the lengths are now rntered in their database as we haven't been measured again.

Dave

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Has anyone any ideas on the cheapest way to book a ferry to spain, I'm coming up with £700 return on internet that's with a cabin. out in Nov back in march
As fuel prices have dropped significantly, it is even cheaper now to navigate your way through France and Spain. Appreciate members will always take their preferred option. However, according to Michelin, the fuel cost driving from Calais to Algeceria is about €223.0 That's a huge saving compared to the ferry cost to Spain and then the additional fuel to get down to Algeciras. However, like I said, members preferences.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
depends what your driving . i get about 16-17mpg . i live 30mls from plymouth on the west side so dover is almost 350mls away. it takes one day for the ferry to spain ,all being well.
i cant get it cheaper. my mate comes down from scotland . he gets 18mpg in his daf truck camper . he still says its a gain . plus not so much wear and tear milage on the vehicles .
yes if you get over 30mpg and live closer to dover it might be different .
i like france but not in november . i do like the journey across spain . it can be cold . wish it would be warmer we would take longer to get to the med .
this year plymouth santander . no cabin . but in club voyage 410.60 quid return .
but really only saved 81 quid as it costs 120 quid a year to be a member.
if i go again in a year then its worth more .
i know friends get 10% so many save 60 quid for no cost.
you do have to pick your crossings . we use pont aven as we can book seats not cabins . some boats its only cabins .
but we all have a choice . mind you have to book early to get the best deals sometimes .

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
whilst using the tunnel recently was talking to the bloke in the holding area as he came down to look at our MH, it looks long, he said he goes by the kerbs to measure how long you are. can`t see many getting caught out as I seem to remember they allow up to 10m.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Two years ago we were measured with a surveyors wheel by Brittany Ferries at Portsmouth.
Last year our length was checked against the grid that is now marked out in the tarmac approach to the departure booth. Use of a cycle rack put another £10 on the fare in each direction. Those found to be over their declared length had to pay extra before they were allowed onto the ferry.
Brisey.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back