taxing a vehicle when purchasing privately (1 Viewer)

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
how does it work with the tax now if you buy a vehicle say on the Saturday privately ?
regards Kate

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
just tax online and you should be covered (y)
Yup, what he said, you need the reference number from the new keeper supplement on the V5. Log in and pay the tax. This will trigger an automatic refund for the current owner, and tax is ready for you! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Yup, what he said, you need the reference number from the new keeper supplement on the V5. Log in and pay the tax. This will trigger an automatic refund for the current owner, and tax is ready for you! :D

Hi Kate :)

Yes - just did that myself - you will find a 12 digit Doc. Ref. number just below the address section you fill in on the green section 10 of the V5 you have been given by the previous owner.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Kate if you can insure it on phone/line etc make sure they put it on cover immediately on the ins data base then no problem --If not if you have fully comp ins with 3 rd party entitlement you can ask the seller to keep it on there ins until you get home /Monday then ring to let them know you are home so they can cancel the ins -Of course the other party may not like this but it works for me(y) ;)
terry

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
just tax online and you should be covered (y)
Why does everything have to be online now, I was one of the first to own a computer in our village and always tried to push them , but doesn't anyone else think we have gone to far with it now.
I try to do as much as I can offline now, but that's just me I suppose.
People on here say they have emailed someone about a price or something then surprised because they havnt had an answer, emailing someone out of the blue would be my last resort.

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Why does everything have to be online now, I was one of the first to own a computer in our village and always tried to push them , but doesn't anyone else think we have gone to far with it now.
I try to do as much as I can offline now, but that's just me I suppose.
People on here say they have emailed someone about a price or something then surprised because they havnt had an answer, emailing someone out of the blue would be my last resort.
We to dont do online . or telephone banking but thankfully i have this lovely furum to ask what else i can do lol

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Hi Kate if you can insure it on phone/line etc make sure they put it on cover immediately on the ins data base then no problem --If not if you have fully comp ins with 3 rd party entitlement you can ask the seller to keep it on there ins until you get home /Monday then ring to let them know you are home so they can cancel the ins -Of course the other party may not like this but it works for me(y) ;)
terry
Thanks Terry insurance wont be a problem its just the tax if we wont be able to tax it if we purchase on the saturday, but Bill said he knows what you mean regaring their insurance :)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@Ambilkate , Kate does this mean you are close to getting a van and that you and Amanda will be joining the ladies meet next April!!!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Kate technically it will still be taxed until the end of the month because original owner will only get a refund for the whole months left --you on the other hand are supposed to tax it from day of purchase -I always tax it from the day before month ends to start on the 1st of mth ensuring that the owner gets his full mths refund and I get my full mths tax --Why should the gov benefit from 2 people paying a mths tax -I know it's wrong but so far I have been ok :LOL:after all it's taxed (y):LOL:IE BUY VAN SAT and don't tax it until start of November :LOL:providing it is already taxed :D:D:DTIN HAT TIME ;)
terry

Last edited:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Good luck Kate, share the details when you are in a position to do so.

Carol

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Surely the system assumes it is taxed until the DVLC have been told about the change of ownership? In other words, you buy the vehicle, drive it home, then sort out the tax?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
hmmm poor advice Terry.. no need for tin hat.. but if it is flagged up by an ANPR camera as not taxed, .. there is an automatic £80 fine
Been past lots of ANPR in my vans and not got a fine yet -also leave out on road outside house that gets traffic cars past prob 50 times a day -I know that you are supposed to tax as soon as you buy vehicle but in my mind it's already taxed until end of that month :LOL: Works for me hence tin hat time Jim :D

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If you buy a vehicle that is already taxed it will be taxed until the V5C notifying the change reaches DVLA , until that time any anpr check must show it as taxed.
Once you get it home you can tax at a PO using your portion of the
V5C .
That is my understanding.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Surely the system assumes it is taxed until the DVLC have been told about the change of ownership? In other words, you buy the vehicle, drive it home, then sort out the tax?

No its is illegal to sell a vehicle with a tax disc now. Doing so can leave you open to prosecution if the buyer is involved in an accident & has no insurance.

This is why it was introduce with the imposition of " continuous insurance" Theoretically if you stop or transfer the insurance from the vehicle you are selling on to another then you must declare SORN & apply for a ved refund.

If you buy a vehicle that is already taxed it will be taxed until the V5C notifying the change reaches DVLA , until that time any anpr check must show it as taxed.
Once you get it home you can tax at a PO using your portion of the
V5C .
That is my understanding.

No ,you cannot sell it with the tax on as you cannot guarantee that the person buying it , regardless of what insurance he shows you, has actually got any. Therefore in the event of an accident you could be dne for 'aiding & abetting' someone to drive without insurance.
All this cam e in in Octobe 2014

"From 1 October, vehicle tax is not transferable so you won’t be able to include any remaining tax when you sell a vehicle."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
No its is illegal to sell a vehicle with a tax disc now. Doing so can leave you open to prosecution if the buyer is involved in an accident & has no insurance.

This is why it was introduce with the imposition of " continuous insurance" Theoretically if you stop or transfer the insurance from the vehicle you are selling on to another then you must declare SORN & apply for a ved refund.

No ,you cannot sell it with the tax on as you cannot guarantee that the person buying it , regardless of what insurance he shows you, has actually got any. Therefore in the event of an accident you could be dne for 'aiding & abetting' someone to drive without insurance.
All this cam e in in Octobe 2014

"From 1 October, vehicle tax is not transferable so you won’t be able to include any remaining tax when you sell a vehicle."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

I was making the point that until DVLA receive the amended V5C tax will still exist and therefore any ANPR check would show the vehicle as taxed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back